Hey!

I've made a similar post about this before I believe, but since I didn't have a sound example and because I'm very incompetent when it comes to describing sound, I feel like I'd make a new one.

So anyway, I have a Burgera 333xl infinium with stock tubes, but the thing is I find it sounding rather harsh and there's not a lot of clarity in the tone. Therefor I've prepared a little recording, which actually is from when me and my band went to the studio to record our songs. I recorded it with a single sm-57.
In Sweden we have a good word for describing this sound, it sounds "brötigt". I don't know any equivalent words in english, but if you do thing you know what I mean, do you think it could be solved by a simple re-tubing, perhaps just the pre-amp tubes (since as I mentioned, I have BUGERA stock tubes), or do you think this is what the amp sounds like and switching tubes won't do any major difference?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZBFUcfC6bg

Thanks in advance!
You can try retubing and checking the power tube bias.
It's probably not going to sound too much better but it doesn't sound like you are dialing in enough gain at all for the type of music you want to play.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Quote by AcousticMirror
You can try retubing and checking the power tube bias.
It's probably not going to sound too much better but it doesn't sound like you are dialing in enough gain at all for the type of music you want to play.

The amp is auto-biased, and the thing with the gain is that the more I turn it up the worse it sounds, like the more I get of the harshness.
10 band EQ, dial to taste.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by juliusxxrock
The amp is auto-biased, and the thing with the gain is that the more I turn it up the worse it sounds, like the more I get of the harshness.

I've come to the conclusion in talking with other Infinium owners and reading online posts that the Bugera Infinium autobias function is crap.

Get yourself a proper external octel bias probe and check the mA bias yourself.

EQ in the loop is practically a must - and that's true with lots of different amps.

That said, the harshness I hear in your clip 'sounds' like crappy tubes to me. I'd get some proper preamp tubes in there (like JJ, Tung Sol, JAN 5751, Shuguang 9th Gen) and try the EQ and then report back. Are the speakers brand new by chance?

So +1 to Arby and AcousticMirror
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I've come to the conclusion in talking with other Infinium owners and reading online posts that the Bugera Infinium autobias function is crap.

Get yourself a proper external octel bias probe and check the mA bias yourself.

EQ in the loop is practically a must - and that's true with lots of different amps.

That said, the harshness I hear in your clip 'sounds' like crappy tubes to me. I'd get some proper preamp tubes in there (like JJ, Tung Sol, JAN 5751, Shuguang 9th Gen) and try the EQ and then report back. Are the speakers brand new by chance?

So +1 to Arby and AcousticMirror

I'm inclined to agree, it's a decent idea but I think they've tried to accomplish too much with it. That being said, the amp I bought is NOT an Infinium version for that very reason.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
If the bias is off too far one way or the other it could sound shitty.

Octel bias probes = $25 - $50
Volt/Multimeter = $25 - $75
Preamp tubes = $10 - $30
Danelectro Fish n Chips EQ pedal = $25-$35
Power tubes (quad) = $75 - $200

Cost of doing business
I only listened to your recording on my phone, but I thought the tone in your recording sounded pretty good for what you were after. And i think you used the right amount of gain too. If it sounds harsh to you, dial down the presence and/or treble. Try presence first.

I imagine after layering 2-4 panned tracks, that tone would sound smoothed out and really huge. I liked it.
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69