Hi everyone, this is my first post on this forum, though I have been using the tabs on this site for some time now. I have been playing acoustic guitar for roughly 2 years now and my wife is letting me get an electric for father's day. I have barely played any electric before, a decent amount of acoustic-electric. I like some classic rock, folk, blues, 90s rock and grunge, classic country, and jam bands. My favorite acts/bands of all time are Bob Dylan, Grateful Dead, SRV, Jimi Hendrix, the Who, Nirvana, Allman Brothers, Smashing Pumpkins, Pink Floyd, Gov't Mule, the Beatles, the Stones. I have up to about $600 to spend on just the guitar. I have been looking at guitars like crazy for about a month or so and am leaning towards a Fender most likely. I am in the budget for a standard SSS or HSS MIM Strat, or a MIM Tele, or a Modern Player Tele, or a MIM Lonestar strat or MIM Roadhouse strat. These are the ones that stand out to me so far. I have not ruled out a Gibson Les Paul style of guitar, but many of my favorite players play or played strats or teles. I need some direction. Originally I was leaning towards the Modern Player Telecaster because it has three different types of pickups and could be used to play a wide variety of music. Lately I have been kind of thinking of getting the Lonestar or Roadhouse. They both look good to me. I'm not sure if I want or need the humbucker or if I should go all single coils. I am quite a newb and am very interested in any advice/guidance anyone is willing to part with. Thanks
Go with a Strat, preferably from Fender, doesn't matter which ( SSS or HSS will both cover a lot of ground) - get the best that meets your needs. That's the best deal for that price range and it will cover the most ground in terms of styles. Avoid anything Les Paul-related, such as Epiphones or clones, for that price range - they are disasters that have terrible setups, electronics, and never stay in tune.

I personally have an SSS Fender American and a HSS Musicman Silhouette Special guitar. The SSS is great because you get more natural tonal consistency when switching from the neck pickup to the bridge pickup. On an HSS you get a more drastic change going from the single coil to the humbucker, almost like changing guitars. If you plan on playing any high gain music you may want a humbucker. For the bands you are suggesting, I would recommend an SSS.
A MiM HSS Strat would be a very good option for a first guitar in that price range, especially given the bands you favor. Hard to go wrong.

However, if you see a G&L or Godin in your store in the same price range, give them a try. Some, like myself, find the ergonomics to be a better fit, and their quality is comparable.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at May 15, 2015,
Yeah I reckon an HSS strat of some kind would be the thing, especially if it has a coil split on the bridge pickup (since, to my ears, that often sounds sort of like a tele bridge pickup... ish).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I wouldn't sweat it on the humbucker thing if you find a SSS you really like. Single coils are the bread and butter of every single artist you listed there.
Charvel DX-1 FR / DS-1 ST / DC-1 FR / Custom Strat / La Patrie Hybrid CW / Vypyr 30 / VK100 / 1960A
I vote tele, just my opinion. I own lots of guitars, and my tele blows them all away (not a fender)
The big negative on the Fender Strat though are the dials. Notice the players you listed quite a few of the better Fender players are left-handed and so the dials are on top because they reverse the guitar and their strumming doesn't make contact with them. Not hitting the volume knob takes some practice and some people mod it with a washer to make it harder to move. Just something you should note. The Mustang is what Cobain used and the knobs are a little lower. Also I wouldn't knock Epiphone, you just have to find a good one. Some even have Gibson Pickups but obviously Les-Paul is in a different direction to where you want to go. Fender isn't a bad choice, but note the dials thing. Not everyone realizes how close they are until they play on one.
Dean MAB1. Epiphone Annihilation V. EVH 5150III. Orange PPC112. Earthquaker devices - The Warden, Arrows, Acapulco Gold, Levitation, Night Wire. TS9, DD3, GE7, NS2, LS2, Polytune mini, Small Stone. SM57. Focusrite. LINUX!
Quote by Deermonic
The big negative on the Fender Strat though are the dials. Notice the players you listed quite a few of the better Fender players are left-handed and so the dials are on top because they reverse the guitar and their strumming doesn't make contact with them. Not hitting the volume knob takes some practice and some people mod it with a washer to make it harder to move. Just something you should note. The Mustang is what Cobain used and the knobs are a little lower. Also I wouldn't knock Epiphone, you just have to find a good one. Some even have Gibson Pickups but obviously Les-Paul is in a different direction to where you want to go. Fender isn't a bad choice, but note the dials thing. Not everyone realizes how close they are until they play on one.

umm.. only leftie is Jimi Hendrix (well ok paul mccartney but he didn't play a strat with the beatles).

it is true that the volume knob on a strat can be hit if strumming like an acoustic player but not as much if playing rock. it's not hard to avoid at all. i will say that a LP style guitar or pehaps an SG should be considered as well.
My vote is definitely a MIM Fender Strat! Either HSS or SSS config is fine. If you're gonna play mostly bluesy stuff and such you'll be fine with the SSS. I've heard SRV played mostly on his middle pickup anyways so you won't be missing much with a bucker in the bridge. But a bucker in the bridge will definitely help you get some heavier, fatter tones then. The Fender Strat is probably one of the most versatile/modable guitars on the planet...Have fun!
Quote by Roc8995
Yes, and people still got polio and you had to crank your car up by hand and put whale oil in the lamps every night.

Things are better now.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Style is in the hands. Taste is in the hands. But tone? Tone is in the gear.
Quote by StonesBally
I'm not sure if I want or need the humbucker or if I should go all single coils. I am quite a newb and am very interested in any advice/guidance anyone is willing to part with.

Honestly, it doesn't really matter.

It's very easy to get caught up in the equipment game, but the truth is that *any* of the guitar types you mentioned will work for any of the music you mentioned, right up to professional work. You've done the hard work; you've identified what you feel comfortable with, and you've selected some good guitars. At this point it's up to your sense of style or your coin-flipping ability.

You're not going to lock yourself out of particular styles of play with any of these guitars.
Quote by monwobobbo
umm.. only leftie is Jimi Hendrix (well ok paul mccartney but he didn't play a strat with the beatles).

it is true that the volume knob on a strat can be hit if strumming like an acoustic player but not as much if playing rock. it's not hard to avoid at all. i will say that a LP style guitar or pehaps an SG should be considered as well.

Cobain was also a leftie. I like his Mustang though.
Dean MAB1. Epiphone Annihilation V. EVH 5150III. Orange PPC112. Earthquaker devices - The Warden, Arrows, Acapulco Gold, Levitation, Night Wire. TS9, DD3, GE7, NS2, LS2, Polytune mini, Small Stone. SM57. Focusrite. LINUX!
Quote by Deermonic
Cobain was also a leftie. I like his Mustang though.

didn't play right handed guitars though he played lefties. i'm left handed as well.
Quote by monwobobbo
didn't play right handed guitars though he played lefties. i'm left handed as well.

Your right. Isn't that a Mustang though? Not a Strat? The Mustang knobs are quite lower. Might be the reason they made a Mustang.
Quote by Deermonic
Your right. Isn't that a Mustang though? Not a Strat? The Mustang knobs are quite lower. Might be the reason they made a Mustang.

Kurt did use Mustangs from time to time but he is best known for playing a modded Jaguar (same body shape as a jazzmaster).
Quote by monwobobbo
Kurt did use Mustangs from time to time but he is best known for playing a modded Jaguar (same body shape as a jazzmaster).

Yeah that's an awesome looking guitar.

To be honest I'd rather one of those two than a Strat.
Quote by Deermonic
Yeah that's an awesome looking guitar.

To be honest I'd rather one of those two than a Strat.

to each his own. that's why they make more than one kind
A Fender strat or tele is a respectable choice. The tele is nice because it is a little more straightforward in terms of design, especially for beginners when it comes time to restring and tune. They are both great guitars.
I think you should also tell us what amp you're getting. After a setup, most cheap guitars will be playable, but I wish I could say the same thing about amps, and your amp will make for the most part of your sound.
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
Other nice thing about a Strat is you can get over the counter mod kits for every single thing on that guitar. You can take any Strat and make it into a signature Strat with your name on it. When you go to get an amp don't go power crazy, you need versatility. Something along the line of a Peavy Vip1 or 2.
i will throw another vote in at a MIM strat. they are dirt cheap and can be found everywhere. i would go SSS. worst case scenario, a while down the road you get a humbucker. you can also get a SC sized humbucker if you don't want to cut up the pick guard.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i will throw another vote in at a MIM strat. they are dirt cheap and can be found everywhere. i would go SSS. worst case scenario, a while down the road you get a humbucker. you can also get a SC sized humbucker if you don't want to cut up the pick guard.

You just got a MIM didn't you? lol. They're nice guitars man. I grew up with one in my house though.
Quote by Roc8995
Yes, and people still got polio and you had to crank your car up by hand and put whale oil in the lamps every night.

Things are better now.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Quote by GraceByDeath
You just got a MIM didn't you? lol. They're nice guitars man. I grew up with one in my house though.

yea i did a couple of hours ago, i posted in this thread before i made the trade. they are pretty nice for your money. i have a 1996 MIM strat as well. and three teles, a USA std, a 1997 USA Plus Series II, and a USA 52AVRI (i think on the insider i like teles more).
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
yea i did a couple of hours ago, i posted in this thread before i made the trade. they are pretty nice for your money. i have a 1996 MIM strat as well. and three teles, a USA std, a 1997 USA Plus Series II, and a USA 52AVRI (i think on the insider i like teles more).

Really I think they're one of the best for your money at their price. Solid piece of gear.=) As well as sellable later on because their popularity.
Quote by Roc8995

Things are better now.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Well to raise a thread from the dead and finally reveal the surprise and end all of your suspense...I ended up getting the HSS Strat (MIM) with a single coil selector on the humbucker. It has served me well so far for almost a year. I have mainly been using it to practice playing blues rythm, and just starting to get into a little blues lead, plus mucking around with a bunch of songs I already half know. I have been pretty pleased with my purchase, and would probably go in the same route had I had to make the decision over again.