I am trying to find an Iphone app or computer program which shows the guitar note in standard notation, and then listens to you play it on your guitar via a microphone to gauge if you are correct or not. The ability to choose your fret range is a plus, as well as no delay between note prompts(it goes as fast as I can correctly play the notes). I have a few of the other trainers where you touch the notes on the screen, but I want to move to something more tactile using my guitar! I've been using GuitarAtSight on my iphone. I would love if you knew of something like that, but takes me playing my guitar as the input instead of just touching the note on the screen.

Thanks!
I am sorry for not being able to help or indicate an app.

But I'll assume that you are beginning, or not familiar with scales/intervals. Since intervals is a very important topic on guitar playing, I suggest that you learn your notes on the fretboard based on it.

Learning is better than memorizing, because when you learn everything starts to make sense and becomes natural.

For example, if you know that a power chord is made with Tonic and perfect 5th, it I easy to know that G5 is G and D. As a consequence, it is easy to know that if G is on the 3rd fret on the 6th string and that its 5th, D, is on the 5th fret of the 5th string.

Learning chords also really helps if you know what you are playing.
Yup, those are great tips for beginners, but I'm currently just trying to automate my fretboard identification knowledge, so that it's on instant recall. However, I will integrate some of those strategies again in addition to the app I hope to find, but that's a great reminder of other knowledge to work on!
That's the end goal, I was looking to use an app to get instant feedback. I like Rocksmith's ability to tell you if you are playing the correct note(within reason), (I don't really use rock sith any more, but I'm having a hard time deceiving what I desire,and was hoping to combine the mic feature for note identification with standard notation. Basically I just need a virtual flash card system that shows the standard notation note, I play the note on the guitar and it says if I am correct or recorrect, to help with the drills.
Do you not have a reference point to know in advance if you're right?

When I teach notes on the neck I'm pretty thorough, and I do have the students then practice with the flash cards. But they know the answers. The only thing that makes it more fruitful is teaching them to life-hack the speed, and the cards reinforce that fact. But not a single one of them, ever needs the answer confirmed; they all know it...the only thing they are amassing is the speed and immediacy of using these.

One of our students made this helpful "random" video to help the other students drill to test their "one second to find the note" standard that we claim for our graduates. I usually send this as a bonus to our successful graduates so they can better appreciate their skill sets, but I see no harm in sharing it with you, here.

If you are not sure of the notes, and need someone to tell you, maybe you aren't at the "drilling" point yet.

True... drilling is a great way to learn by trial and error, but there's so much error, especially if you don't have the confidence that you can do it correctly yet.

What you might want to do, is maybe practice more slowly. Your approach sounds a lot like drinking a cup of water by having 50,000 gallons poured over your face; sure you'll eventually get your cup, but there's a lot of spillage to get such a simple thing.

Anyways, here's the link. Hope it helps:

http://vimeo.com/17846465

Best,

Sean
Last edited by Sean0913 at May 17, 2015,
I wouldn't use an app for that. It just takes some time with your instrument. You can find a chart easily enough and use it for reference.

The way I learned was by working out all the major scales. My teacher gave me the basic formula for the major scale and told me to get all 12 of them written out and memorized on the guitar.
^Another thing that helped me was taking some solo's and songs I knew and figuring out every note in the solo so that I could then associate the notes with what I was playing.
Si
I used to just practice 'mindfully' (always know what note I was playing during scale/chord practice) and it memorized itself a few years in.
"There are two styles of music. Good music and bad music." -Duke Ellington

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp