I'm looking to explore through some different heads, mainly because where I am our music store only has a small selection of Traynor, Marshall, Fender, Vox, Line6, H&K, and Mesa amps and that's all that's available to try.

I have a Peavey VK212 that I purchased used for $325 (around half price) which is a very nice amp, but it's just not right for me and I'd rather spend the extra few bucks on a step up from the Valveking rather than purchase a set of Vintage 30's or something. All I'm looking for is something for about $1,000 or less and something that's good for the genres above with a good classic rock crunch yet a nice clean channel as well. Something that would be a step up from the Valveking.

In another thread somebody had suggested the ~$500 Jet City JCA22H which sounds like a very nice amp, and because of this I feel there could be more out there that may suit my needs that I can't really describe for you. It just has to feel right.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
where you do you live roughly? I'll find you an amp.

Cape Breton, NS, Canada. Very few music stores here that are easy to get to.
Quote by Leather Sleeves
Have you tried out many of the Traynors? I had the YCS100H1, it was amazing, very versatile, and had some great extra features (built-in DI box, two FX loops, etc).

I've seen them, but I haven't tried any of the Traynors because at the time I looked at them they were remodeling the store and had half of the demos moved to another section of the store without outlets.
I would definitely recommend a Traynor. The YCV50B and even the YCS80/100 would work great. I've played both. They can do what you want and have a nice clean channel. Made in Canada.

How far away is that Gig Street shop in Halifax?
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I would definitely recommend a Traynor. The YCV50B and even the YCS80/100 would work great. I've played both. They can do what you want and have a nice clean channel. Made in Canada.

How far away is that Gig Street shop in Halifax?

Halifax is about a 5-6 hour drive from my home. Relatively far, only make the drive once a year.
So are you going to buy new gear only or are you open to looking at buying used gear sight unseen (not recommended necessarily even though would do it if the situation was right).

Remember - if you buy an amp head then you will need a speaker cabinet and a decent speaker cab will cost a minimum of $300 used.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
So are you going to buy new gear only or are you open to looking at buying used gear sight unseen (not recommended necessarily even though would do it if the situation was right).

Remember - if you buy an amp head then you will need a speaker cabinet and a decent speaker cab will cost a minimum of $300 used.

I'd actually prefer used gear, but only if I can see that it does what it's supposed to. All of my gear except for my GCB, chorus and SBA distortion (which I'm selling soon) is previously used so I see no problem with buying used gear.

I know about the cab and I'll worry about that later. If I get the head first, I can just run it through the VK's speakers until I sell that or buy a cab.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
That's cool.

I think I assumed your budget included the sale of the VK.

Do you guys have an online classified posting system up there? Like craigsllist?

I checked Craigslist but only Halifax is listed in the province. Kijiji is the most popular and I've been keeping an eye on it for months but nothing is showing up that's worth checking out. I haven't seen any others.

After purchasing a head I'm definitely going to sell the VK to make a bit back, as well as two guitars I have that I don't use and a distortion pedal. That could cover about $500-650, and would also free up some space in my small corner.
Last edited by Distophase at May 15, 2015,
That's cool. Let us know if you find one you want to bounce off of us.

I checked craigslist for you much earlier today ('cause that's what I do) and I didn't see squat.

If you are comfortable with online forum gear classifieds that might be the way to go.

Traynor YCV/YCS
Jet Citys
Marshall DSL (older one but post 1993).
Egnater
Blackheart
Peavey Classic 30 or JSX
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
That's cool. Let us know if you find one you want to bounce off of us.

I checked craigslist for you much earlier today ('cause that's what I do) and I didn't see squat.

If you are comfortable with online forum gear classifieds that might be the way to go.

Traynor YCV/YCS
Jet Citys
Marshall DSL (older one but post 1993).
Egnater
Blackheart
Peavey Classic 30 or JSX

I'm really interested in the JCA heads another dude suggested the other day, but I don't know which is more worth the price they are (the 50w or 100w).

Think either of them are good and which would be best? Really digging the 100's depth control and 100 watt/50 watt selector, but the 50 is 100 pounds cheaper ($189 CAD).

100:
http://www.jetcityamplificationstore.co.uk/product/jca100hdm/

50:
http://www.jetcityamplificationstore.co.uk/product/jca50h/
Last edited by Distophase at May 16, 2015,
I would also chime on the Traynor suggestion, that would probably be my first choice. YCV50B is awesome, I think great for Marshall JCM800 type of sounds and a little hotter... or get the head if you need more power. \thread
Quote by Distophase
I'm really interested in the JCA heads another dude suggested the other day, but I don't know which is more worth the price they are (the 50w or 100w).

Think either of them are good and which would be best? Really digging the 100's depth control and 100 watt/50 watt selector, but the 50 is 100 pounds cheaper ($189 CAD).

100:
http://www.jetcityamplificationstore.co.uk/product/jca100hdm/

50:
http://www.jetcityamplificationstore.co.uk/product/jca50h/

I would go for the 100w just for the Depth control alone. People that don't have the depth control on their Jet City 50s and Soldano Hot Rods/Avengers pay money to have the 'depth control mod' done.

Otherwise, the two amps are almost identical outside of the extra headroom of the 100w.

Check out the Jet City thread here and the write up that AcousticMirror did:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1346646

Personally, I am not a Jet City fan but I am definitely in the minority.

For me, 50 watts seems to be my sweet spot. I run my 100w Splawn at half power, I have a 50w Rectoberb and a 60w Vypyr Tube modeling amp (got most of my bases covered )
2003, not 1993, 311. The DSL was released in 1997.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I own a Jet City JCA22H since a week now with a Harley Benton G212 vintage.
The Jet City is LOUD. Lots of gain and big choice of playing styles / tones.
The amp suprised me. Didn't knew it would have such a sweet sound.

Can still have cleans with my LP on it.

Best for the price (298,- EUR)

+1 for JCA22H

Check out below for a demo. Sounds better in real life ofcourse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_C4vcBinczA
Last edited by Classic Wave at May 16, 2015,
I would definitely look at the YCV50B, Jet City, and Peavey Classic 30. I've owned all of them, and they would all suit your mission perfectly.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I would go for the 100w just for the Depth control alone. People that don't have the depth control on their Jet City 50s and Soldano Hot Rods/Avengers pay money to have the 'depth control mod' done.

Otherwise, the two amps are almost identical outside of the extra headroom of the 100w.

Check out the Jet City thread here and the write up that AcousticMirror did:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1346646

Personally, I am not a Jet City fan but I am definitely in the minority.

For me, 50 watts seems to be my sweet spot. I run my 100w Splawn at half power, I have a 50w Rectoberb and a 60w Vypyr Tube modeling amp (got most of my bases covered )

Thanks for the help, man. The only problem I have with the Jet City is the fact they don't ship to Canada, but I'll try to work something out and until I find a solution I'll take a look at a few Traynors as well.
As I said in the PM I sent you, the 100 and 50 are pretty much identical.
The 100W will just have more headroom before the power section overdrives.
The volume difference is negligible. I use a 50W JCM800 clone that will peel the paint off of your walls at 11.
The main difference is the depth control.
Both are great amps, especially for the price.
Grab an OD to boost it if you want heavier tones, and you'll be able to cover a ton of ground.

As far as shipping, how far in Canada are you?
If you're not too far from the border, you could always have it shipped to the nearest guitar center to the border and pick it up there for no extra charge.
Quote by darkwolf291
As I said in the PM I sent you, the 100 and 50 are pretty much identical.
The 100W will just have more headroom before the power section overdrives.
The volume difference is negligible. I use a 50W JCM800 clone that will peel the paint off of your walls at 11.
The main difference is the depth control.
Both are great amps, especially for the price.
Grab an OD to boost it if you want heavier tones, and you'll be able to cover a ton of ground.

As far as shipping, how far in Canada are you?
If you're not too far from the border, you could always have it shipped to the nearest guitar center to the border and pick it up there for no extra charge.

OH, I forgot I messaged you haha.

I'm in Cape Breton, about 9 hours from the border. I've only made the drive twice and never found it fun either time, plus I've got schooling and stuff to take care of.