Good evening everyone,

I am finally able to hopefully replace the older (absolutely horrendously) incapable Licensed Floyd Rose Tremolo on my Dean Custom 450 TGE. I am looking to replace it with a proper model, but must admit I know scarcely what to look for concerning models, measurements and so on. My experiences with 'good' tremolos have been limited to the older Ibanez' EdgePro series, but these are neither readily available nor the right size or model for the instrument.

So my question in short, is there anyone able of telling me what sort of Floyd I need that has good quality and the right measurements for this guitar? Thanks in advance.
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
Make sure you have your Floyd properly setup. Assuming it has a proper setup and you still have problems with it, then keep reading.

I don't know what are the measuraments of your Floyd Rose, so you should take them yourself.

I highly recommend either a Schaller Lockmeister or a Gotoh. I never tried the Gotoh, but I hear pretty good stuff about them. Now the Schaller Lockmeister, a friend of mine replaced his Jackson LFR with a Lockmeister and the tuning stabililty is amazing. Schaller produces the Original Floyd Rose. The Lockmeister is kinda like the OFR, but rebranded and thus cheaper. It also has different measurements, but the quality of the materials is just as good!

Gotoh dimensions:

Lockmeister dimensions:

Compare them with your Floyd dimensions. I'm pretty sure you can get the measurements of the Original Floyd Rose too from their website.
Last edited by DanyFS at May 15, 2015,
Quote by FretboardToAsh

I am finally able to hopefully replace the older (absolutely horrendously) incapable Licensed Floyd Rose Tremolo on my Dean Custom 450 TGE. I am looking to replace it with a proper model, but must admit I know scarcely what to look for concerning models, measurements and so on. .

What does "absolutely horrendously incapable" actually describe? What is the LFR on your Dean doing badly that you think a "proper" model will fix?

Floyd will give you measurements (and probably templates) to check your current routs for spacing to get them set up for an FRO, but if you're contemplating one of the other Floyds (Gotoh, etc.), you might want to contact them for their information as well.

One more suggestion: consider putting one of the large aftermarket brass sustain blocks on whatever you buy. Note that you may have to do a bit of trimming inside the spring cavity to give it some room here and there (depending on the guitar). Aside from tweaking the sound of the guitar, it will also affect how the Floyd feels and it may change the balance of the guitar slightly (not a bad thing, given where the added weight shows up).
'Horrendously incapable' implies it has no knife to speak off, cannot stay in tune at all, the top-lock cannot keep the strings in place(the previous guitar of this I had did have the same problem though even worse, where one could actually hear the wound-strings make a 'ping' as they moved back and forth under it whenever the tension was strongly increased or lowered [meaning; actual use of the Floyd] this is my second one as I replaced the former), and the strings keep snapping out of the Floyd itself. Nothing seems to be able to keep them in place.

My experiences with Ibanez' Edge-Pro tremolos from their Prestige guitars have been very good, in the sense that they did not allow strings to snap out. They still went slightly out of tune, but just by a margin of what the Licensed model did, and if there are tremolo's about with a similar locking system (meaning one that actually works without risk of strings snapping out or moving about making the guitar out of tune whenever one actually uses it), I'd be very interested in that. From what I've seen of the original Floyd Rose models, it looks to be the same system which makes me doubt whether they're a good choice.

The guitar itself is made out of mahogany, so it isn't really a lightweight, though still comfortably so. So it's weight or division of this isn't particularly a concern of mine, though it's unlikely I'll be doing a lot of trimming where it can be avoided, as I don't have the equipment readily available. For the tone though I could be convinced, so I do very much appreciate the suggestion.
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
Quote by FretboardToAsh
'Horrendously incapable' implies it has no knife to speak off, cannot stay in tune at all, the top-lock cannot keep the strings in place(the previous guitar of this I had did have the same problem though even worse, where one could actually hear the wound-strings make a 'ping' as they moved back and forth under it whenever the tension was strongly increased or lowered [meaning; actual use of the Floyd] this is my second one as I replaced the former), and the strings keep snapping out of the Floyd itself. Nothing seems to be able to keep them in place.

Wow, that's quite a litany of ills, and with two guitars in a row! Walking into this blind, I'd suggest that either someone is manufacturing FRs out of pre-stressed bubble gum and toenail clippings and convincing Dean that it's good stuff, or there's some common denominator of user error ("do ALL women get cranky around that time of the month? You know, about the time when I'm taking the rent money she's earned and trying to have a good time with it down at the pub?").

Hopefully a new FRO (or similar) will solve all your ills.

I've been on the opposite side of the Floyd bell curve, I guess; my old '92 Samick's licensed POC (Piece 'O' Crap) is still doing well, and the seven or eight other Floyds (including OFRs and...uh...secondary manufacturers) are all doing very well. I do have one that's exhibiting some of your symptoms, but it's new to me on a used guitar, and I haven't had time to sort it yet. I have a couple of Schallers on the shelf ( and one excellent Korean "pull" from another guitar). I'll replace it and give it a thorough going over once it's out of the guitar.

Good luck replacing your trem.
Quote by FretboardToAsh
From what I've seen of the original Floyd Rose models, it looks to be the same system which makes me doubt whether they're a good choice.

The guitar itself is made out of mahogany, so it isn't really a lightweight, though still comfortably so. So it's weight or division of this isn't particularly a concern of mine, though it's unlikely I'll be doing a lot of trimming where it can be avoided, as I don't have the equipment readily available. For the tone though I could be convinced, so I do very much appreciate the suggestion.

Just because it is the same system, it doesn't means it will give you the same problems.

How the system works itself is the same, but you can't compare an OFR, Schaller or Gotoh with a cheap LFR. The quality of the materials isn't the same. On a cheap LFR, the quality of the materials is obviously worse, and that's why strings snap, go out of tune and all the other problems you are having.

With an OFR, Schaller or Gotoh, trust me, it won't happen if you know how to set them up. They are the best trems out there and can last forever.

As I said on my previous post, the Schaller is the best option out of the 3. I tried the Schaller on my friend's guitar and it is very responsive. I can go ape crazy with it and the strings won't snap/go out of tune/etc.

The Gotoh and the OFR should give you the same results. Just see which one fits your guitar and which one is cheaper/you like the most.
Last edited by DanyFS at May 20, 2015,