Hi Guys,

So I'm in need of some additions to my Suhr Modern Satin wiring wise. The plan is as follows:

Two push push pots. Volume pot when in the out position will be a Guthrie Govan style blower switch (bridge humbucker straight to the output jack)

and

Tone push push pot in the out position splitting the neck humbucker (when the 5 way is on the bridge pickup) and the bridge humbucker (when the 5 way switch is on the bridge pickup).

I have asked at my local guitar shops and they're being pretty crap with their customer service. I talked through my requirements with them and they said they'd order the parts. I've been badgering them for months, and there's been nothing. I then thought I'd take my guitar to either GuitarGuitar in Epsom or Andertons in Guilford (an hour's drive away that I don't want to do twice) and they said it would be a week turnaround. I have a grade 7 exam and 4 shows coming up and during those and in the run up to them, I can't be without my guitar for more than a day.

I decided to take matters into my own hands. I can wield a soldering iron competently, but I don't know a whole lot about wiring. I've managed to find a diagram for an HH one volume one tone config with the coil split, but not a diagram for a blower switch on a push-pull or push-push pot and certainly not the whole lot together.

Can any of you help me out?

Thanks bchampion96
so the first one is really easy it's called the "passing lane mod" , here's an article on it to start you off.
http://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/the-tone-garage/so-you-just-want-to-get-a-bit-more-out-of-your-pickup/

the neck pickup and or bridge pickup you can coilsplit any way you want. Either one push pull per pickup or them both splitting the coils at the same time.

so there is two ways to go about this
parallel - hum cancelling , the weaker sound of the two, great for cleans
coil split - buzzing like a single coil , roughly 50% of your pickup selected output

using diagram you want make sure you use your pickups proper color code

this second one if you use an on/on/on mini toggle switch you get the split sound in the middle but since you're using two push pulls adding this to a diagram will give you parallel for one pickup. There is a few ways to cheat to make either ones of these push pull moddings easier.

and finally ... before we get into the no load this will get your shur to do everything except out of phase and bass cuts or mid scoops/boosts. These work on any pickups with 5 wires (4 if we're not including the insulated wire). Not just this weird kind of seymour duncan.

you can make either of these happen effortlessly with a basic 5 way, converting them is another reply but first lets see what works best. Afterwards adding the blower switch to this diagram is pretty straight forward. If you need any more help though let us know , usually seymour duncan is my go to for wiring diagrams no matter what pickups im wiring up.
Last edited by Tallwood13 at May 16, 2015,
Quote by Tallwood13

*snip*

That's great, thanks for sending me all that. Is it all right if I read and digest and come back to you with questions later?
yeah seymour duncans wiring portion of their website is excellent. I do coilsplits , parallel and have tried that really complex wiring near the bottom all myself personally. I put the super hard wiring on this japanese jackson guitar for a friend of mine a while ago. The pickups were too medium in output for me but he was happy. It has 2 kinds of coil split , parallel and full powered humbuckers so 12 distinct tones instead of 6 or so.

The only diagrams that I found to be bad on the seymour duncan page are most of their telecaster wirings and the jimmy page wiring (hardest les paul wiring). But you'll do fine. Just remember you start with a basic volume and tone, the push pulls on the tops are just mini toggles that are on/on , which means you get two different sounds. Just mini toggles are on their backs if it makes sense. I've done custom wirings in guitars for years myself and their site as well as guitarelectronics.com were very helpful. Here's the sites.
http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/
http://www.guitarelectronics.com/category/wiring_resources_guitar_wiring_diagrams/

guitarelectronics.com the ground mentioned on the diagrams is kind of confusing at first but remember signal in , signal out so as long as you got a trail going out of the guitar you'll be fine.

but send me a message or reply to your post if you need any extra help.
Last edited by Tallwood13 at May 16, 2015,
Quote by bchampion96
Hi Guys,

So I'm in need of some additions to my Suhr Modern Satin wiring wise. The plan is as follows:

Two push push pots. Volume pot when in the out position will be a Guthrie Govan style blower switch (bridge humbucker straight to the output jack)

Two things:

A pair of three-position On On On miniswitches would allow you to set serial/parallel/single coil for each humbucker. My experience with push-push pots on a Yamaha SG2000 is that you can't tell where you're set at a glance or with your fingers in a dark room. You can with the miniswitches.

Blower switches are probably a bit overrated (sorry, Guthrie, wherever you are...). But I'd be interested in your take when you get it completed. I used one for a while, but found a better use for the switching later one.

Do you have the H-H or the H-S-H version of the Modern Satin? Is that a five-way on the H-H version? If so, what are the middle positions wired for? On my Variax JTV-89F (H-H), the five-way selects single coil mode for the humbuckers in the 2 and 4 positions. That might be a more useful way to get to the single coil positions on yours.