So I've tried playing music through guitar amps, but I'm sure everyone knows this doesn't really sound very great. I've read about using a bass amp for music, but I'm thinking you'll still be missing out on some frequencies. So I was wondering if anyones ever tried getting a 2x12 cab and having one speaker bass and one guitar. I know this would probably be pretty complicated, and it would be easier and smarter to just buy a stereo system made for music, but I think the novelty of it would be worth it. Plus i like building things. So has anyone ever heard of this, or have any guesses what all I'd need?
Quote by you
it would be easier and smarter to just buy a stereo system made for music
Charvel / Godin / Peavey / Marshall / AMT
Bass amps are all right for music. If you use a guitar speaker you risk damaging it and it would sound like shit. If you want something you can use for music AND guitar, forget it. You need something with a fairly flat response for recorded music, like keyboard speakers or loudspeakers.
Quote by KaldGuitar
So I've tried playing music through guitar amps, but I'm sure everyone knows this doesn't really sound very great. I've read about using a bass amp for music, but I'm thinking you'll still be missing out on some frequencies. So I was wondering if anyones ever tried getting a 2x12 cab and having one speaker bass and one guitar. I know this would probably be pretty complicated, and it would be easier and smarter to just buy a stereo system made for music, but I think the novelty of it would be worth it. Plus i like building things. So has anyone ever heard of this, or have any guesses what all I'd need?

This is going to be a wall of text; there are a lot of questions here.

What you want is out there, but you're not going to find it at Guitar Denter.

First, there are guitar amps you can play music through. Check out the Line 6 Amplifi, which has five speakers covering a very wide frequency range. Not only is it a modeling guitar amp, but it's also designed for streaming music from phones, iPods, computers, TVs, etc. Because it's a modeling guitar amp, it does very well with guitar.

Bass players are increasingly using full-range systems. I have, in fact, four speaker cabs designed to handle bass, but that would also handle music or PA as well. They contain an Eminence Kappalite 3015LF 15" low frequency driver, a 6.5" 18 Sound mids driver and a 1" high frequency, and will handle bass down past 40Hz and will have flat response right up to 18Khz or so. Google fEARless F115 and fEARful 15/6/1 cabinets. Either will handle 900W and be lighter than most guitar 2x12s.

If you want a kit to produce a fEARful 12/6/1 or 15/6/1, check speakerhardware.com for cut-sheet kits, driver kits, crossover kits, etc. Or you can have builders do them for you, and you'll spend around $1100+ per cabinet (for the 15" versions, and less for the 12" based versions). http://www.speakerhardware.com/fearful-1261-flat-pack-deluxe-kit.php

A 2x12 with one speaker bass and one guitar (and without a crossover) will blow out the guitar speaker when you use the bass. Instead, you can build a guitar cabinet that has a pair of 12" Eminence Delta ProA speakers and a pair of 1165N piezo tweeters and tune it to around 52Hz (make it about 3.5 cubic feet volume and add two 4" diameter x 4" deep cylindrical ports). It's still not really a bass cabinet, but you can get away with some modest bass through it, thanks to the Delta ProA speakers, which can handle 200-400W each. Been there, done this. Works great. Weighs a ton:

My suggestion, to accomplish exactly what you want, is to Google the fEARful 12/6/1, build two, and you'll be able to play guitar, bass and music through them (you'll want a fairly serious power amp, and I'm using, for example, a Carvin 1500W HD1500, which will run about $279 or so.

So what are the results for guitar? If you're using a modeler (Pod HD 500, Eleven Rack, Axe-FX, Kemper, yada yada), they can be stellar. Bass? These were originally designed for bass, and depending on what you have as a preamp (Jules Monique, Bass Pod XT, etc.), they're outstanding. Music? Pretty much as good as anything on the market in their price range. Maybe better. PA? Perfect.

Want a cheaper option? Try the Carvin LS1503 cabinet. Under $300 each. You still need a power amp and a preamp, but they'll do whatever you want and handle up to 300W.
Quote by dspellman
This is going to be a wall of text; there are a lot of questions here.

Well thank you for your response! I appreciate you taking the time to give out so much information. These suggestions is about exactly what I had in mind. I'm not completely unfamiliar with speakers and building systems, I just needed a little help getting started.
I'm wondering, as I'm not much of a bass player, if you'd still recommend the 12/6 over the others. I don't necessarily need an amazing bass system, just something that will sound good when I want to blast some music, and also sound good when I want to blast my guitar.
That's why the Carvin LS1503s came into the picture.

About $279 each. Handles 800W. Reverb recently had a pair of used cabs for $399 with free shipping (guy must have been yearning for a road trip).
I too have experienced the same thing. I am confused with the unstable frequency