I have an Epiphone les paul tribute plus and a practice amp. I have only been playing less than a year but want to upgrade amp. I am thinking about the Marshall DSL40C or the Line 6 Spider Jam. I am not that good and am still learning. I love G&R music and that era, but I also like blues and other genres. I like the line 6 with the play along tracks and I can dial in tones of songs I already know. Thought this would make me stay interested and practicing sounding like songs I know. But I LOOOOOVEEE the Marshall sounds. Does anyone have any experience with both and what would you recommend for a beginner?
How is this even a comparison. Doesn't kne amp also cost 5 times the other?
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
A bucket of diarrhea vs an amp.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by lemurflames
A bucket of diarrhea vs an amp.

Why does everyone hate the Line 6. I thought maybe it would encourage me to be able to dial in a tone. I am a beginner and do now know a lot. Can I get all types of sounds from the Marshall? I love VH, Motley Crue, all that stuff.
There are no good tones to dial in, it's all rubbish. Buy the DSL, it will do what you want quite nicely.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
The Line 6 is fine for high gain settings, all of their stuff is. You can get a Line 6 Spider IV 75 watt for 70 dollars from a local pawnshop, and I got mine for less, and it came with the foot pedal, it was just missing the handle. Though it really does lack characteristic, so very much, without that gain. It sterilizes anything you run through it, but the price is unbeatable. I would only recommend it at such a low price.

The Marshall is great, what can I say about it that anyone else won't.
123 Repeater
Repeater
123 Repeater
Repeater
Last edited by Kips72 at May 17, 2015,
I understand the allure of the Line 6 modeling amp with all the "tones" built in. In fact I have a line 6 "Amplifi", and a Fender Mustang. They are fun to play with once in a while. But I find that 99% of the time I just plug into one of my little tube amps with nothing but volume, tone, and maybe gain, and that is the best. Spend your time playing, not fiddling with electronics. You'll learn how to get the tone you want without all the knobs & switches & computers. I'm not personally familiar with the Marshall you are looking at. But unless you are playing in big venues, you can't go wrong with the Vox AC4. Plenty loud, at the 4 watt setting, and you can turn it down to 1 watt or even 1/4 watt to get that really nice creamy distortion at volumes you can live with in your office, bedroom, or living room.
Quote by Cathbard
There are no good tones to dial in, it's all rubbish. Buy the DSL, it will do what you want quite nicely.

+1 they are not even comparable.

if you want modeling, i would get a pod HD500 and a powered wedge. modeling that is exponentially better, and something go grow with.

i still say the DSl though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Get the Marshall. You can get backing tracks online for free all day, and you can slowly learn what effects you actual want and need with the marshall instead of being so overwhelmed with low quality BS you don't know where to begin. If you really want to go with modeling look for a POD HD500 used, they come VERY cheap since the POD HD500x came out. I would say the Pod Hd500 and a decent powered speaker shouldn't cost more then $500ish
I don't hate Line 6. They've got some wonderful stuff. I'd really like to have one of their Vetta heads... I hate the Spider series. Nothing good comes from owning one. Only regret. If your desire to tweak and discover sounds is that strong you should buy the Line 6 HD500 and Carvin's cheapest powered 12" PA speaker. Eventually you'll put less emphasis on chasing the magical tone unicorn and realize how much you'll love an amp that just sounds good as soon as you turn it on. Your playing will also improve. Less tone-chasing, more playing.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
The Marshall will sound better.
If you want the backing tracks, looper and effects that the spider jam has, you could get a Line 6 JM4 looper which is basically the spider jam without the amp bit. You could use that for practicing then use the Marshall as a proper amp
Marshall DSL40C. If you want an alternative to the DSL, get a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. The Marshall has a better distortion sound while I prefer the Fender cleans.
Quote by lemurflames
I don't hate Line 6. They've got some wonderful stuff. I'd really like to have one of their Vetta heads... I hate the Spider series. Nothing good comes from owning one. Only regret. If your desire to tweak and discover sounds is that strong you should buy the Line 6 HD500 and Carvin's cheapest powered 12" PA speaker. Eventually you'll put less emphasis on chasing the magical tone unicorn and realize how much you'll love an amp that just sounds good as soon as you turn it on. Your playing will also improve. Less tone-chasing, more playing.

I still chase tone but Line6 usually chases me

I try to give them a chance every few years as their marketing spiel catches my ear every once in a while, always leave disappointed. I did play quite a bit with the original POD though as my studio partner at the time had one he brought over.
For a beginner the modelling amp is a good route.

Go for a Spider Valve MKII 112 or 212. You can pick them up pretty cheap these days.

A note of warning though that the inbuilt tones are garbage and you will have to do a lot of tweaking to make great tone patches. There's some really good tones in there if you're willing to put in the time creating them.
Last edited by Goochster at May 18, 2015,