school kids. I am participating in a "cultural fest" where you showcase your talent to the school. It is due in august but I am scared as hell. I will play eruption but i haven't even learnt the song yet and I am scared s hell
If you find any other opportunities to play the song (or some other songs) for smaller audiences (for example your family, your friends, whatever) before the gig, it may help. Any performance experience is good. You need to remember that performing in front of an audience is way different from practicing in the bedroom. Even if you can play the song perfectly in your bedroom, it doesn't mean it will go perfectly in front of an audience. But yeah, you just need some experience, so that you won't be surprised when you are in front of a bit bigger audience. Performing for your friends and family is a good and easy way of gaining some performance experience.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Definitely play it in front of family or friends, and make sure you get their input too, they may notice errors you may not. Just be confident.
123 Repeater
Repeater
123 Repeater
Repeater
If you have the ability, film/record your performance and analyze.
Long Live Rock n' Roll
Bette get busy learning it...

NO substitute for experience. Play for any audience you can get, friends, family, parties, wherever you can. And not just that piece, anything you can play well enough to try in public. I started by playing at small get togethers with 2 uncles, who taught me to play and sing. At the same time. By the time I was 10 I was playing in their band, harmonizing, then they put me onstage in front of 250-300 people at one of their gigs. We practiced the songs a lot, they wouldn't let me do it till I could nail them every time.

I've been at it ever since, everything from 4 people at a bar to 2500 or so at a local festival. It's all the same, do the best you can do and always be prepared.

Don't be scared, they're just people, they put their pants on one leg at a time same as you do. If you bomb, so what, we all do. It's just like falling off a horse, get up and do it again. I've played nights I could do no wrong, I've played nights I could do nothing but screw up. If I let it get to me I'd have given up long ago.

Try playing fill in gigs sometime...meet the band, 30 minutes later you're their guitar player for the night...no idea what they'll play, what key it will be in, what changes they might have made and didn't tell you about...I did it for 3 years or so. One guy asked me if I could play "Proud Mary"...no problem, I've been playing it since before it hit #1 on the radio. I jumped into the intro...he stopped me...HUH??? Ummm...we play it in A my voice won't handle D. Crap...I had to transpose it to the key of A on the fly...I shut my guitar volume off, figured out the 1st chords of the intro real quick and off we went. I made it but barely...

It's all a matter of practice and confidence. But you have to KNOW you can do it. I can't tell you how many times doing fill in gigs I played songs I had never heard. A good friend who got me into it would put me onstage with his band in front of 300 people or so and try to stump me. Just for fun...best band in town, biggest crowd in town, and he's trying to find SOMETHING I can't play or fake my way through. He never did it. And I'm talking 40 year old country songs I had never even heard of much less heard, by musicians I had never heard of...

Once you know you can do it, you're good to go. Make sure you get plenty practice, know the song in your sleep, play in front of any audience you can, stay sober and never accept less that the best you can do.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
^ Fill in gig sounds like a fun idea, but TS needs to remember that to be able to do it, he needs to have a lot of experience (from music and band playing) and know a lot of songs (and styles).

But yeah, any performance experience is good. Try gaining as much of it as possible.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Why not play something you already know?

For your first performance you should pick something you you know back to front, something you can play in your sleep. If you must play Eruption, play it until you're bored of it. At this point you're ready, and if you get nervous your muscle memory will kick in and your hands will play the song for you.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud