So late last week I bought a Blackstar ht60 2x12 that was refurbished for 500 or so. I'm decently satisfied with the amp but when I mentioned it in my previous thread everyone was saying its only a hybrid, just an "ok" amp and that I could do better for the money.

Well, if I can do better for the money, here's the time to let me know what is better. I like the blackstar just fine but since people have mentioned it, I cant help but feel i could return this amp and buy another. I still have about 30 days or so to return it, so if you can convince me, I'm gonna buy something else.

So here's what I'm looking for. a 2x12 combo amp (tubes, obviously) thats good for metal but also has a really good clean channel...something that could work well for jazz. I don't want to spend more than 1000 but id like to keep it lower than that. And i refuse to buy used amps, you never know how the last owner treated the amp, and i dont want to spend the next weeks scanning ebay and craigslist.

anyway, thats where im at. can you help me out?
Ibanez S7521qm 7 string
Ibanez S771pb
Fender Jaguar HH Special
PRS SE Custom 24 7 string
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
dude if you like that amp then don't worry about us what do we know

seriously though, what type of music do you play and what doyou want from an amp. going used would get you better gear. if you are concerned about the condition then buy from a place with a good return policy. i spent $400 on my last amp used and i assure you won't find anythig half as good new for the same money. if you get used you can figure on getting new tubes but past that if you buy from a reputable place then there should be no issues.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/blackstar-venue-series-ht-stage-ht-60-60w-2x12-tube-guitar-combo-amp This un? Tube pre and power amp. Doesn't seem like a hybrid to me. If you like it then it doesn't matter what everyone else's opinion is. However, they could be pointing out qualities of the amp that you are not able to see.

The only thing I hear is that it sounds a bit fizzy with high-gain... not too much of a problem if you know how to work with it. You could invest that $1k in some new tubes to experiment with in #1.
Last edited by Will Lane at May 17, 2015,
^ hybrid. most likely. maybe not just as solid state as the smaller ones.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^Allegedly Blackstar uses digital circuitry, so it's not teh tr00 t00be t0ne.
Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe RI
Schecter C-1 Artist II
1978 Music Man HD130
+ a bunch of neat pedals

screamy emo band
^^^ How does that work? Is that with all the HT Venues?

As far as another amp, I haven't tried one but the Jet Cities have a good rep and sound nice on demos. Maybe the 50w combo. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/jet-city-amplification-jca5012c-50w-1x12-tube-guitar-combo-amp/h76846 You're going to a more American voicing, though.
Last edited by Will Lane at May 17, 2015,
i don't think it is som uch digital as theere is a fair amount of op amps etc in the signal path. the original team was responsible for the Marhsall JCM 900 series which is known for having a bunch of junk in the signal path. thye use things like clipping diodes for distortion. there amps kinda fall between true tube and hybrid in the usual sense. their advertising stresses tubes but doesn't mention all the other stuff in the signal path which can't be removed.
Quote by monwobobbo
i don't think it is som uch digital as theere is a fair amount of op amps etc in the signal path. the original team was responsible for the Marhsall JCM 900 series which is known for having a bunch of junk in the signal path. thye use things like clipping diodes for distortion. there amps kinda fall between true tube and hybrid in the usual sense. their advertising stresses tubes but doesn't mention all the other stuff in the signal path which can't be removed.
Oh. So the preamps are more or less like buffers, somewhat like the VOX Valvetronix stuff.
Quote by nick.culliton
^Allegedly Blackstar uses digital circuitry, so it's not teh tr00 t00be t0ne.

nah it's not digital it's analogue solid state (though I think the reverb is digital in some of them, not sure if it's out of the circuit completely when it's off, I'm guessing it probably is but ).

Quote by Will Lane
^^^ How does that work? Is that with all the HT Venues?

I'm not sure. We've only ever seen the schematic for the HT5, I think, and we're sort of extrapolating (more like making (un in my case ) educated guesses) from that.

I strongly suspect the ones with only two preamp tubes are hybrid, i.e. the 20, 40, 50 and 60 watters. the 100 has an extra preamp tube, and whether that means it's actually all-tube, or just a bit more tube than the others (but still technically hybrid), I don't know.

It's also worth pointing out that the spec in that MF ad you posted doesn't tally with the spec on the blackstar website for that model. on the blackstar website it says that model only has two preamp tubes, on MF it says 3.

Quote by Will Lane
Oh. So the preamps are more or less like buffers, somewhat like the VOX Valvetronix stuff.

nah not really. they have a bunch of op-amps doing what tubes would normally do i.e. getting the level up high enough that that last preamp tube distorts.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at May 17, 2015,
Your gonna have to go used, but you can get some great amps used

Peavey JSX 2x12 run $500-$600 used and will cover all of your bases
Mesa Tremoverb 2x12 will also cover it all
But your going to have to go used, places like Guitar center have a great selection, good prices, 30 day return policy and they also offer extended warranty options on all of their used gear if it troubles you that much.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Will Lane

no the valvetronix just has a tube thrown in to an otherwise all solid circuit with some digital stuff as well. the tube was supposed to simulate a driven power amp (not so much though.)

basically what the blackstar is doing is cheating. it has tubes in the preamp (and power section) but when it comes to the distortion it has a bunch of solid sate help. if you look at most high gain tube amps you'll notice that they have more preamp tubes. these tubes are used for gain stages. the blackstar skips most of that and uses diode clipping to up the gain along the way. the boost button in a valveking works on the same idea (but can be taken out of the signal path).
so to clarify a couple things, im trying to play metal and various subgenres, the stuff i write could be compared to ion dissonance (though less complicated) so i want a tone in that direction. but i also want to be able to switch to the clean channel and immediately be playing a smooth jazz lick or something.

The only thing i find wrong with the blackstar is that i expected a little more "oomph" from the distortion without cranking the gain up so high it makes a shit ton of noise.
Ibanez S7521qm 7 string
Ibanez S771pb
Fender Jaguar HH Special
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Quote by rtfk101
The only thing i find wrong with the blackstar is that i expected a little more "oomph" from the distortion without cranking the gain up so high it makes a shit ton of noise.
Have you tried any overdrives or preamp boosts?
Quote by rtfk101
so to clarify a couple things, im trying to play metal and various subgenres, the stuff i write could be compared to ion dissonance (though less complicated) so i want a tone in that direction. but i also want to be able to switch to the clean channel and immediately be playing a smooth jazz lick or something.

Quote by Robbgnarly
Your gonna have to go used, but you can get some great amps used

Peavey JSX 2x12
run $500-$600 used and will cover all of your bases
Mesa Tremoverb 2x12 will also cover it all
But your going to have to go used, places like Guitar center have a great selection, good prices, 30 day return policy and they also offer extended warranty options on all of their used gear if it troubles you that much.

Yes!
Quote by Will Lane
Have you tried any overdrives or preamp boosts?

I have a boss me80 multieffects pedal which ive been messing with on it. But i still havent been able to get that "perfect tone" if you know what i mean. it sounds decent, but it could always be better...maybe im in the wrong price range for this conversation lol
Ibanez S7521qm 7 string
Ibanez S771pb
Fender Jaguar HH Special
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Quote by rtfk101
I have a boss me80 multieffects pedal which ive been messing with on it. But i still havent been able to get that "perfect tone" if you know what i mean. it sounds decent, but it could always be better...maybe im in the wrong price range for this conversation lol
If you like your HT and you don't really want to replace it, yeah you don't need $1k. Multieffects have trouble with doing overdrive with how they are conventionally used. That on top of your not-so-conventional tube amp and you might feel a lack of perfection.

You could invest in Tubescreamer, using at as preamp boost (gain low, volume up). You set your amp to a crunch right before your desired saturation, then use the screamer to boost the amp a bit. That will give you some umph I would think. You could put the ME80 in the effects loop and have some solid delays and other modulations.
I don't know of anything new for $500 that will give you both the distortion and cleans you want.

Used is really the way to go or quadruple your budget.

The JSX is a good suggestion and I'm not too familiar with the Tremoverb.

The thought that immediately came to mind was a Mesa Mark IV or a Roadster (Clean channels from a Lonestar or Mark I along with Channels 2 and 3 of the Dual Rec but darker and tighter).

The Roadster 212 Combo solved this flexibility and the ability to NOT compromise on the different tones for me. Picked it up for $1,100 used in mint condition (original tags, flyers, folder, and the original tubes that had been swapped out).

For $500 new I'd probably go with a Pod HD500X and you still need something with a power amp and speaker. I don't think your answer exists in your budget.

For $1,000 new you can get a EVH 5153 50W head but you still need a cab.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
If you like your amp then don't go replacing it just because people on the internet told you to. replace it when you don't like it anymore.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by AcousticMirror
If you like your amp then don't go replacing it just because people on the internet told you to. replace it when you don't like it anymore.

+1
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by AcousticMirror

im not. i started this thread to seek out a better amp in a similar price range. if i find one ill buy it while i can still return this amp. if i dont, its whatever, i can make this amp work for me.

for the record, my price range is 1000 and below, not 500 and below. sounded like some people got that mixed up
Ibanez S7521qm 7 string
Ibanez S771pb
Fender Jaguar HH Special
Epiphone Les Paul Custom