Hey UG, I've been on the look-out for my first 7-string and this '98 RG7620 for $375 CAD came up on craigslist. Overall the guitar needs some work and maintenance as you can see the volume and tone knobs are different (one looks like a knob from Gibson?), and you can't even see if there's the pick-up selector switch also there had been customization done on the finish. It says in the ad the pickups were DiMarzio blaze (is it any good? I probably have to upgrade it anyways) Personally, I don't dig the new look on the body but I heard good things about this guitar and it's the best guitar you can get for a used 7-string. Here's a pic:

*is that a crack from the headstock? (couldn't really tell)

Anyways, Is it worth getting this and having the trouble taking it to a tech and paying extra for it?
Is the price fair for this guitar in this condition? Maybe i can lower the price?
Last edited by minuskill at May 17, 2015,
If you can get it cheaper, snag it. The best I've done for that model (used) was $450 and that was over 5 years ago. They had the usual edge scrapes, but in very good condition. I have the Vampire Kiss (Red), Gray Nickel, and Black.
You think i can lower it down to $300? It'll probably gonna cost me $500+ upward after taking it to a professional for setup and new pickups.
$500 for a setup and new pickups? Are you insane?

Why can't you just do the setup by yourself (for free) and buy a soldering iron?
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at May 17, 2015,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
$500 for a setup and new pickups? Are you insane?

Why can't you just do the setup by yourself (for free) and buy a soldering iron?

no that's with the guitar for let's say $300 idk i'm just estimating that with the new pickups+setup fee would at least cost around 200 bucks and also, I cant do crap for setting up my own guitar, much rather take it to someone who know what they are doing.
The blaze pickups are very hot and are actual dimarzios, not "designed by" or something like that. I would suggest you to actually try them before making your mind on a pickup swap. ANd if you want to change them, you could sell the set and recover something.

Also, you could do the setup yourself, it isn't that hard.
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
Can you put your hands on it and play it before buying? That's the big question here. It's a great guitar, but if the neck is warped and the truss is all screwed up, the rest of it won't matter. If everything works and the neck is in good condition, I'd buy it. The DiMarzio Blaze is a great pickup - I wouldn't even swap them, to be honest. But from that picture it looks like the pickup selector's been taken out, and though the knobs are a simple cosmetic change, the paint job looks like absolute shit - seems like he sanded the hell out of it. Again, this is superficial, and if the guitar rips and is in good shape otherwise, I wouldn't let it stop be from buying.

As far as a setup goes, you should be able to set the action, adjust the truss rod (if necessary), and clean the guitar/hardware on your own. There's nothing about a setup that's really that complicated, even as a novice, save for the truss. If you're super uncomfortable about that, just take it to a shop. They'll do it for cheap - it only takes a few minutes.

“We’re built of contradictions, all of us. It’s those opposing forces that give us strength, like an arch, each block pressing the next. Give me a man whose parts are all aligned in agreement and I’ll show you madness. We walk a narrow path, insanity to each side. A man without contradictions to balance him will soon veer off.”

silentfall.bandcamp.com
Last edited by an.interloper at May 17, 2015,
Yeah it doesn't look very appealing to me but it can be overlooked, if the pickups are great then that's great(saved extra $$ for new pickups). I can only think of repainting it maybe? I just contacted the seller if I can come over to check this out. Also, ask for some more closed-up pics.

As for the set-up, yeah I'm not really confident in my ability to do it. Also, he mentioned this needs like rewiring and stuff. I'm not really sure about it.
Well, depending on what amount of wiring you need done, the guy I go to, for example, put in a set of pickups I bought separately for about $50 US, and he installed both. Usually it'll run you about that for a wiring, assuming the hardware (pots, etc) aren't absolutely annihilated. I know how to do it myself at this point, but it's not going to cost you an arm and a leg to get done. If the whole thing needs re-done, thought, that's different. Again, not something that's terrible, but if you can't even play it, you should pay less for that guitar as it sits. If it needs a complete re-wire, I'd try to get it cheaper.

“We’re built of contradictions, all of us. It’s those opposing forces that give us strength, like an arch, each block pressing the next. Give me a man whose parts are all aligned in agreement and I’ll show you madness. We walk a narrow path, insanity to each side. A man without contradictions to balance him will soon veer off.”

silentfall.bandcamp.com
Well, let's say the electronics are not good and need to be redone etc. but neck and truss rod looks good. What would you think a good offer for this one? Maybe I can get it for less than $300? considering i have to get it rewired and everything.
I'd say no higher than $300, maybe $325 in my opinion. If he asks why, tell him that it's gonna cost you about the extra $75 to use for the rewire, etc - you're going to have to essentially rebuild the electronics. Really, you're paying for a second-hand body/neck - it's a project guitar.

silentfall.bandcamp.com
Wow Thanks alot of the tips! really appreciate it

Hopefully, he can respond to my email and set a date for me to check the guitar out. If all seems good to me, maybe I could end up buying it. For the price, I'll start off with $300 and go from there. I just hope the neck and truss rod feels fine and with no warp, it's my only concern for now aside from the ugly finish.
No worries, man. Good luck.

silentfall.bandcamp.com