Like them
5 15%
lmao nerds
8 24%
meh
20 61%
Voters: 33.
Page 1 of 2
Am I the only one that doesn't see the hype for these kinds of channels. The idea of them doesn't really seem entertaining to me at all. Maybe I'm just sick of my brother going on about them every single day.
Depends on the game.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
awesome thread bro

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
They're okay for just one video but following them is lame.
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Facesitting is a violation of freedom of speech, because how can you speak when you have an ass covering your face?
Game Grumps and The Freelance Astronauts are pretty much the only ones I enjoy, where the entertainment's more about the interaction of the hosts than the game itself. The "OMG LOOK HOW MAD/SCARED/ETC. I AM" stuff is bleh.

That said, they are very useful for seeing an unbiased third-party experience and operate the interface when you're figuring out whether or not it's worth buying.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Only channel I keep up with on YT is birgirall. Those guys are hilarious.
Quote by snipelfritz
You lost me at "Lubricate."

I'm raw, like nature. Nature boy. Big jungle leaves are my cum rags.

Sometimes I fuck a bamboo shoot.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
When a new game comes out, or if there is a game from the last few years that I haven't yet played, I usually watch a LP on TheRadBrad's channel. I can never watch more than a couple, but I find his gaming style is more similar to mine than most LP gamers, therefore giving me a good idea of if i'll like the game or not.

For some reason I find Brad less annoying than most other youtubers, but even that only lasts for about half an hour.
They're fine by me! I haven't played/bought a new game in like 5 years. Last console I had before I had a slight PC phase was a PS2.

It's mostly a money issue, I'd much rather spend it on music gear that's going to last a lifetime of use as opposed to a console that'll get old in 2 years. Games are also $60 each these days so no thanks. I'd rather just watch a game being played like a movie.
Guitars:
Fender Highway One Stratocaster
Gretsch G5120
1973 Japanese Les Paul

Amp:
Vox AC30C2

Effects:
MJM Brit Bender MKII tonebender clone
Boss Blues-Driver
Fulltone Clyde Standard Wah
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Catalinbread Echorec
I think a better question is how does pewdiepie get more money then we'll see in our lifetime just for screaming at his computer like a fucking moron?
Quote by MeTallIcA313
Guys, you heard Mr. Sacamano. No fun until racism is over.
Quote by Xiaoxi
awesome thread bro

I'm just curious what peoples opinions are about them because clearly I don't get it. My brother will spend hours everyday watching achievement hunter and other game channels. I can understand watching them occasionally to see a certain game or mod, but what's so entertaining about watching the same guys play gta5 and minecraft weekly?
Quote by hurricane0202
I think a better question is how does pewdiepie get more money then we'll see in our lifetime just for screaming at his computer like a fucking moron?

I heard that guy that left rooster teeth is getting like $1000+ donations from some people. Maybe I should get in on this and start up my own game channel.
I can watch only pure walkthroughs, where someone just play, but never open the mouth.
I mean I think they are really dumb, but other people probably think watching videos of people opening their new makeup is really dumb and I think it is only slightly dumb and I do it anyway
cat
Quote by hurricane0202

because he figured out how to work the system before anyone else and gained monopoly of it

duh
I like Game Grumps, but that feels more like a regular podcast a lot.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
I watch Jim Sterlings Best of Green Light and FrankieOnPCIn1080p if he releases something interesting. Hutch, Mr Sark, occasionally Seananners. That's about it.
Quote by hurricane0202

He was the right moron in the right place at the right time.

YouTube's algorithms measure "retention time", which is basically how long you stay on YouTube after watching your first video. Let's Plays are perfect for this because they require no script and very little editing, so they can churn out several videos every single day. Then people binge-watch them on weekends. The channels that get lots of views get promoted by YouTube, which gets them even more views etc. etc.

My sister watches PewDiePie and she doesn't even play video games. I guess she just thinks he's a cool guy. To be honest, if I were 13, I'd probably also be watching.
I'll read a walkthrough/skip through a video one if I'm struggling to work out how to do something on a game. But otherwise I don't see the point. Surely it is more entertaining to actually play a game yourself, as opposed to watching someone else play?
I have nothing important to say
^Watching other people do it on youtube is free though, and free is always good

Unless it's herpes or something
Last edited by ultimate-slash at May 18, 2015,
Quote by sashki
YouTube's algorithms measure "retention time", which is basically how long you stay on YouTube after watching your first video. Let's Plays are perfect for this because they require no script and very little editing, so they can churn out several videos every single day. Then people binge-watch them on weekends. The channels that get lots of views get promoted by YouTube, which gets them even more views etc. etc.

Yes, this made Let's Plays very profitable. A lot of former Newgrounds animators were pretty pissed about that, but then they adapted (referring to Game Grumps and Sleepycabin).

On a note, Sleepycabin's podcast (called Sleepycast) is hysterical.

My sister watches PewDiePie and she doesn't even play video games. I guess she just thinks he's a cool guy. To be honest, if I were 13, I'd probably also be watching.

I also would. I am entirely ambivalent to PewDiePie, but I equally get why some people would find him obnoxious and why some people would find him entertaining.
If there is a game I'm considering picking up, I'll watch a few different let's play, and if it's a good let's play, I'll probably watch most of it, usually while I eat.
Quote by soundgarden1986
the only good people are from something awful where there is some semblance of quality control. not enjying lets plays isnt really any different than not watching movies or some shit its just entertainment

True. I don't watch movies.

Then again, I've said I'd rather you (in a general sense) join ISIS than pay to see the new Mad Max.
I think South Park made an excellent episode about this issue.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
I only watch multiplay channels these days really like Mario Kart or GMOD because it's just ****ing funny, unless I'm looking into how a game plays for potential purchase.
I used to have like two hours a day of LP videos to watch. Now I just find them uninteresting for the most part
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by hurricane0202

Doesn't matter how mediocre the content is, you're still going to draw a shitload traffic if you upload 2 or more videos a day on average and those videos aren't too repetitive. On Youtube it's all about quantity.
Last edited by kmepie at May 18, 2015,
On jewtube I mostly follow independent animators and art tutorials. And Joshua Garcia, because let's face it, he is a guitar god, or a semen demon.
Quote by kmepie
Doesn't matter how mediocre the content is, you're still going to draw a shitload traffic if you upload 2 or more videos a day on average and those videos aren't too repetitive. On Youtube it's all about quantity.

Yes and no. Pewds hit it just at the right time to build the fanbase. You're right that the model right now favors quantity.

The new Marxism isn't about those who control the means of production. It's about those who control the means of distribution.
semen demon, eww
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Sadly this is Ultimate-guitar, not Simple-guitar. We can't help you.

Quote by snipelfritz
Yes and no. Pewds hit it just at the right time to build the fanbase. You're right that the model right now favors quantity.

The new Marxism isn't about those who control the means of production. It's about those who control the means of distribution.

I think there was a video by game theorist about why raving autistic kid PeeeeewwwwwwDiPi is youtube famous. The video was made my someone who works for youtube I remember.
I think any YT vid about PewdeePie is going to be (at least slightly, but probably very much) motivated by jealousy.

YouTube was a medium about views. Just now are people realizing that the content can have quality. However, it was changed so that is even less valued now, so yeh.
Quote by snipelfritz
I think any YT vid about PewdeePie is going to be (at least slightly, but probably very much) motivated by jealousy.

YouTube was a medium about views. Just now are people realizing that the content can have quality. However, it was changed so that is even less valued now, so yeh.

Actually it's about run time and if people click stuff in the sidebar as well as views. Which explains why let's plays are so popular.
Quote by metal4eva_22
Actually it's about run time and if people click stuff in the sidebar as well as views. Which explains why let's plays are so popular.

Yes, thanks for reiterating what I've already reiterated.

Not going to make it to Pit Celebrity this way...
I have to find everything and explore everywhere in a game so I eventually will turn to playthroughs and cheats. I'm not proud of it but i'm also not as smart and patient as I used to be.
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Sadly this is Ultimate-guitar, not Simple-guitar. We can't help you.

I've come to prefer Let's Plays to be honest. It "substitutes" playing the actual game, at least for experiencing the storyline, and any "thrill" or specific experience.
For games like CoD or stuff like that it doesn't work, but for games like the ones from Telltale it does (because those games are basically 90% story and gameplay choices don't matter, so it's the same watching different Let's Plays that follow different choices than playing it yourself)
Quote by snipelfritz
Yes, thanks for reiterating what I've already reiterated.

Not going to make it to Pit Celebrity this way...

Do you know what the word reiterate means?
Markiplier is the only one who I genuinely hate, if only because his voice annoys the ever living **** out of me. I watch Pewdiepie sometimes and I don't even know why because he hasn't been funny or even enjoyable really for a long time. Really only one I enjoy watching is Cryaotic.
¯\_()_/¯
Page 1 of 2