I have recently did some repairs on my peavey 400 and bought a digitech metal master pedal and I am still not getting the greatest metallica tone. I am also getting a lot of hum through my stock pickup. I would like to get some better pickups but on this guitar the first pickups are single row. Most of the humbuckers are double row. How do I deal with this? Do I modify the pick gaurd? Do I have to buy another pick gaurd? I work with tools everyday and I am pretty sure I could do a fine job modifying the pickgaurd. I just have never replaced pickups before. Any advice would be appreciated. I would also like to know what brand and model would work best.
Thanks,
Tyson
Best thing would be to install an EMG 81/60 combo, but you will have to get a new pickguard and most likely rerout the body in order to fit at least the EMG 60 in the neck. Don't forget a hole for the battery holder.

EMG has a quick, no solder, connection system.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
You can tell if it's eager, because you put your hand down her pants and it feels like a horse eating oats.

Nicest compliment on my looks:
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Putting the 'sex' in 'convicted sex offender'.
What if I wanted a better tone on a budget? What pickups are the best bang for the buck? The bridge pickup is the one mostly used for metal, correct?
Last edited by tysona23 at May 18, 2015,
I can't seem to find any pickgaurd replacements online. I find that odd...
Quote by tysona23
I can't seem to find any pickgaurd replacements online. I find that odd...

Where do you live?
Quote by slapsymcdougal
You can tell if it's eager, because you put your hand down her pants and it feels like a horse eating oats.

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Two options, either a stratocaster pickguard from a website like Warmoth (slightly different than the one you have now) or you can ask the guy behind Terrapin if he can make you one specially for your guitar. The latter will be the exact same one you have now, but for different pickups. You probably have to send a trace and specs to him. Heard good stories about that website.
Quote by slapsymcdougal

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by tysona23
What about the stacked humbuckers. Do you know anything about them?

Iron Maiden uses hotrails. That or the Quarter Pound sounds terrific for that kind of stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xO1gCMKPOA0
Quote by slapsymcdougal

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Do you think I could get a lot more out of this guitar with higher quality pickups? Or should I just invest in a new guitar?
Pickups are interchangeable, so if you put them in this guitar and don't mess up the installation, you can take 'em out and put them in another guitar. And if you ever plan on selling your Fernandez you can put the original pickup back in. A new pickup is an easy and relative cheap option when it comes to improving your guitar. That way you can enjoy it while saving a whole lotta money for your dream guitar
Quote by slapsymcdougal

Quote by slapsymcdougal
My dream guitar is the Zakk Wylde Les Paul! That will set me back 5 grand!
Better start saving then
Quote by slapsymcdougal

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Will the hotrails fit where the single coil sits without any modifications?
I ordered me a hotrail. I hope it comes with instructions because this will be the first guitar pickup install I have ever done.
Quote by tysona23
Will the hotrails fit where the single coil sits without any modifications?

Yes.

Quote by tysona23
I ordered me a hotrail. I hope it comes with instructions because this will be the first guitar pickup install I have ever done.

Wire diagram (don't bother the coil splitting thing)
Quote by slapsymcdougal

Quote by slapsymcdougal
How can I tell if my pickups are out of phase without putting everything back together and testing? I have no idea what way my single coils are wound
Quote by tysona23
How can I tell if my pickups are out of phase without putting everything back together and testing? I have no idea what way my single coils are wound

"If two pickups sound thin and nasal when used together, chances are, they’re out of phase with each other"

Matter of trying...
Quote by slapsymcdougal

Quote by slapsymcdougal
AL-right, thanks for your help. I will get back to you when I get it installed. I usually use my bridge 90 percent of the time anyway.
Post vids, I'm curious what it sounds like
Quote by slapsymcdougal

Quote by slapsymcdougal
I can do that. Don't laugh when you realize how much I still need to learn. I took 2 years of lessons when I was 15 and set my guitar down until about 6 months ago. I wish I would have just kept playing and not spending time with other stupid stuff.
It's amazing how much faster I am picking it up now that I am 25 compared to 15. I could barely get my fingers to move and now it just seems natural.
I got my new hotrails installed last night and it sounds really heavy. I was excited just to switch back and forth and hear the difference. I haven't made a video, yet. I will cover a metallica song even though I don't have somebody else to help me through like james has kirk. I really like them and I feel even more motivation to play.