Hello.

I need some advice - recently got my Squier Standard and now I need a good budget amp. I'm looking at around £50 - £80 tops and so far I've checked out some Orange Crush reviews and Vox Pathfinder 10. Aesthetics are important to me so I don't want ugly looking, metal plastic amps like Roland or Marshall does for that price range.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by LaMaestro at May 18, 2015,
£50?

Save your money. Unless you fall into an amazing deal, there's simply nothing out there worth having at that price point.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
£50?

Save your money. Unless you fall into an amazing deal, there's simply nothing out there worth having at that price point.

I don't want to save, I need an amp now and I'm not looking for 30W stacks here. Just something to start on.
Quote by Jason43
Don't know what the conversion rate is, but I've been pleasantly surprised with the Peavey Vypyr VIP 1. It's a little over $100 US new IIRC.

They go for round a 100 pounds new here + hard to find
Quote by Arby911
£50?

This.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by LaMaestro
Hello.

I need some advice - recently got my Squier Standard and now I need a good budget amp. I'm looking at around £50 - £80 tops and so far I've checked out some Orange Crush reviews and Vox Pathfinder 10. Aesthetics are important to me so I don't want ugly looking, metal plastic amps like Roland or Marshall does for that price range.

Thanks in advance.

Your budget doesn't allow you to get much of an amp, period, to say nothing of allowing some cork sniffing in the looks range. Save your money a bit longer.

In fact, what you might consider is a good set of headphones (the over-the-ear type) and something like a Korg Pandora PX5D (used) or a Pandora Mini.

Cheap budget amps are going to sound tinny, especially in the price range and at the volume levels you're likely to be able to use at home. But with a good set of headphones, you can blast at concert volumes and no one is the wiser. The Korg Pandoras (and their cousins from other vendors) have a huge array of practice helpers built in, including metronomes, "slower-downers," pitch changers, phrase trainers, tuners, drum kit and bass pattern emulators, and even computer recording software. No cheap practice amp is going to give you any of that.

Failing that, find a decent used Pod XT "bean". Should be within your budget, and if you want to run it to amplification, you can do so with anything from a set of cheap powered recording monitors to a powered speaker (like a Carvin PM12A) to a full-size arena sound system.
You could pick up a second hand Vox Valvetronix VT20+ on Gumtree or Ebay for £60-80 easily. I did.
At a £50 price range this is an obsolete question. You'll have no choice. Find someone who WANTS to sell you his amp for £50, and go with the amp he sells you, or save up.

For £80 you should be able to find you a peavey bandit, which I really like. I still have one myself and still like it, despite of owning some high end amps.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Last edited by LP_CL at May 18, 2015,
Buy an audio interface for your computer and download amplitube
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP
Last edited by evmac at May 18, 2015,
The Pathfinder is a great little amp if that’s the sound you want. Look around and you’ll notice that some indie bands mic them and use them live.

The new Orange crush amps are nice. They stripped out all the crappy digital effects and just made solid-state versions of their big amps. But again, you have to dig that Orange sound.

If you have a Mac buy a Rocksmith cable and Garage Band. You’ll save a ton of money and have a huge range of amps and effects to play with.
Quote by LaMaestro
I was looking at that and wondered if anyone had any experience with it.

Check reviews on here plus I think they have a decent returns policy.
You don't need to spend much to get your axe making a noise. I picked up a Fender frontman 38w combo for £9 or £10 at a Car boot sale (Don't know what the foreign equivalent is, sorry)last year. It's loud. I didn't need it, just saw it and I had a tenner on me. Use 40 quid on a cheap zoom or digitech and you're all set. Get looking...
My gastronomic rapacity knows no satiety.
Quote by jpnyc
The Pathfinder is a great little amp if that’s the sound you want. Look around and you’ll notice that some indie bands mic them and use them live.

The new Orange crush amps are nice.
They stripped out all the crappy digital effects and just made solid-state versions of their big amps. But again, you have to dig that Orange sound.

If you have a Mac buy a Rocksmith cable and Garage Band. You’ll save a ton of money and have a huge range of amps and effects to play with.

what are you high on? the new orange crush are trash. fizzy, buzzy, muddy junk. i tried one out last week, and it was horrible. they are nothing like their big all tube brothers.

pathfinders are passable. i wouldn't get the 10 watt though, i would go with th 15w. i haven't seen too many of them mic'd up though...
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
peavey bandit peavey bandit peavey bandit peavey bandit peavey bandit peavey bandit peavey bandit peavey bandit peavey bandit peavey bandit peavey bandit peavey bandit peavey bandit peavey bandit peavey bandit peavey bandit peavey bandit peavey bandit peavey bandit peavey bandit!
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
I wouldn't say that the Orange Crushes are junk, but they obviously can't compete with $1,500+ tube amps. At your price point, I think that the previously mentioned amps will be about as good as you're going to do--beggars can't be choosers.

A few folks mentioned the Peavey Bandit, but you may not be able to find one of those in your price range. The Rage 158/258 is from the same series, and you should be able to find one of those on Craigslist, at your price-point. This was my first amp , and I still have it, although I mostly use it to play music from my laptop, these days. It's over 16 years old and I've never had a problem with it (it could be older, since I think my folks bought it used).

The clean channel is nothing to write home about, but the lead channel isn't too bad. I think it's a solid starter amp for someone on a shoe-string budget. That said, Peavey has never been known their "aesthetics." Instead, you'll be getting a decent amp (emphasis on decent), at a fair price. No smoke and mirrors--it is what it is.
junk would maybe be a little to strong. i would take one over a MG or spider, but they are more expensive.

what really bothers me is that they are relating them to the rockerverbs etc. i am sure it is good for sales, but they may blacken their name a little bit.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
you're not going to get anything better at that budget then an Audio Interface and something like Amplitube. This way you can record guitar/mic/bass/drum tracks too if you're interested.
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP