Hello all, I'm planning on getting a custom neck-thru built by Carvin. For looks I really wanted to get a maple neck with a maple fretboard, mahogany or alder wings and a burled maple top on it. The top is 5/8 of an inch.

Now, I'm really worried that all that maple will be too bright and according to my research the wings don't help to balance it out much in a neck through design. What wood combinations would probably be best for the types of tones I'll be going for in this situation?

Bands and guitarists I'd Iike a similar tone to. John Petrucci, Paul Gilbert, Between The Buried And Me, Obscura.

Thanks!
It's not so much that the Schecter's neck is ''fat'', it's that the Ibanez neck is anorexic.

Quote by rid_the_disease
Stare at me while I suck on your face
It doesn't matter.

The material a guitar is made from makes very, very little difference to tone. If you're playing with any amount of distortion, the difference is pretty much zero. Any difference that could be there is completely overshadowed by other variables in a real world setting anyway.

Just buy whatever looks pretty.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
I'm more worried that your guitar is going to turn out to be 12 pounds with all that maple.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Sounds like my schecter almost. Maple /2 walnut stops neck through. The hellraiser I got is available with maple or ebony fretboard. The maple is definitely brighter on clean, with distortion there's no noticeable difference. It is heavy though.

FWIW, I personally like the feel of maple more.
Fretboard wood is the most important (if any importance). Some fretboard woods sound snappier then others, and different types of woods have different feels, which inflicts your playing. For the rest: try not to give to many fcks because it doesnt matter. Go for which you find the prettiest and/or is the most affordable.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
i have a BC Rich Eagle that has a maple neck through with walnut stringers and mahogany wings. the fingerboard is ebony. i was thinking along the same lines but the guitar actually is very LP sounding. no where's near as bright as i would have thought. it is on the heavy side though.
As everybody is already saying, don't worry about it. different kinds of wood don't matter on an electric guitar. The differences in tone are literally nonexistent in most cases, and even if one wood seems a little brighter or bassier, it'll be a subtle enough difference that you can completely negate it by moving an eq knob on your amp a few millimeters. Get what's pretty.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
Quote by MetalFriend
Hello all, I'm planning on getting a custom neck-thru built by Carvin. For looks I really wanted to get a maple neck with a maple fretboard, mahogany or alder wings and a burled maple top on it. The top is 5/8 of an inch.

Now, I'm really worried that all that maple will be too bright and according to my research the wings don't help to balance it out much in a neck through design.

It doesn't matter. I've got two solid maple Carvins (an older DC-150 and a V220) that are solid maple. They're not inordinately heavy, nor are they particularly bright. Both have 24.75" scale, both have ebony fretboard, and the V220 has MOP block inlays.

I've got a couple of Carvins with koa bodies/necks (one with a flame maple cap), both with ebony fretboards (one is a 24.75" scale, one is a 25.5" scale). Both sound great.

I've got two Carvins with solid mahogany bodies/necks, one with a quilt maple cap, both, again, with ebony fretboards. Again, not particularly dark, not particularly bright.

There IS one solid maple neck-through Carvin with an ebony fretboard and MOP inlays that sounds really deep and dark. but it's a five-string base, so...
Quote by dspellman
It doesn't matter. I've got two solid maple Carvins (an older DC-150 and a V220) that are solid maple. They're not inordinately heavy, nor are they particularly bright. Both have 24.75" scale, both have ebony fretboard, and the V220 has MOP block inlays.

I've got a couple of Carvins with koa bodies/necks (one with a flame maple cap), both with ebony fretboards (one is a 24.75" scale, one is a 25.5" scale). Both sound great.

I've got two Carvins with solid mahogany bodies/necks, one with a quilt maple cap, both, again, with ebony fretboards. Again, not particularly dark, not particularly bright.

There IS one solid maple neck-through Carvin with an ebony fretboard and MOP inlays that sounds really deep and dark. but it's a five-string base, so...

kinda funny. i had a solid maple Strat copy from the 80s that was heavier than many Les Pauls and was pretty bright sounding. would have been great for zombie killing.
Thanks for all the responses. I'll just go with what I find pretty then and damn any perceived notions about tonewoods.
It's not so much that the Schecter's neck is ''fat'', it's that the Ibanez neck is anorexic.

Quote by rid_the_disease
Stare at me while I suck on your face