I asked another question about getting a line 6 spider jam or spending more and getting the Marshall DSL40c. I understand the benefits of both and the fact that I am not getting the quality of a tube amp from the Line 6. The only reason I considered the Line 6 is because I can dial into a specific sound that I recognize and it makes me feel like I am learning and improving. I guess I feel that it will continue to motivate me faster to get better. I grew up on G&R, Motley Crue, VH, but I also like Clapton and a lot of clean stuff. The other problem is that I am in a townhome, so I am limited to how loud it can get without headphones. I am hearing that the marshall does not sound as good at lower volumes. I want to stay under $600, but what would be a good versatile amp that I can play the music I like that sounds good at lower volumes? I am a newbie and sorry if these are dumb questions, I just don't want to waste money anymore. Also, I now play a Epi les paul tribute plus.
When people talk about tube amps not sounding as good quiet, they just mean that they sound their best when cranked. It does not mean they sound bad quiet. Big difference.

There's a point at which a speaker doesn't really start moving properly, and no tube or SS amp is going to sound good below that volume. If you're up against that, you need a POD and some headphones (which are probably a great idea in your case anyway).

Something like a Vypyr Tube or a Spider Valve would be a good fit for you, they've got all the modeling and headphone outs for versatility and silent practice, and then a good power amp section for when you can turn it up a bit. Wanting a modeling amp is a good instinct but you can do better than the low end Spiders.
i use both of my amps in a townhouse (50 watt Peavey Valveking 1x12 & 60 watt Peavey Ultra 2x12). Roc is correct that while they don't sound their absolute best at ower volumes they sound just fine for practice. you don't need bone shaking volume to sound good with a tube amp. back in the old days when you didn't hae a master volume on amps yes you did have to crank them to get that sweet distorted sound. now a days not so much.
Urban duplex here, I use a tube amp at all hours of the day. My neighbors below me are frickin' awesome, so I have that advantage but there's still probably a dozen people within 100'. I wouldn't know people think you can't use a tube amp in an apartment if it weren't for the internet, surprised me, lol. Just put an od pedal in front, you're set.

TS, have you checked out the newer Peavey Valveking 20w "lunchbox" head? I really dig those, it'd probably be great for you. Get a 112cab with a Greenback to pair with it, you're set.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
My opinion is that it depends on how loud we're talking about here.

A good option would be a used Line6 POD HD500 (seen these used for $300 and less now) and a good set of headphones - Audio-Technica ATH-M50X is what I use ($169 but one of the other models would work). You could then get a powered wedge PA speaker for when you wanted sound (maybe overkill) or frankly just some studio monitor speakers.

The POD can also be reused for all of the effects into a "proper" amp as well.

Or go with a traditional amp like the Valveking or a decent modeler (Vox VT, Fender Mustang, Peavey Vypyr) for when you want sound and use your computer with headphones for silent times. I use a Rocksmith cable and Peavey ReValver with those ATH-M50X headphones but there are tons of options.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by Roc8995
Something like a Vypyr Tube or a Spider Valve would be a good fit for you, they've got all the modeling and headphone outs for versatility and silent practice, and then a good power amp section for when you can turn it up a bit. Wanting a modeling amp is a good instinct but you can do better than the low end Spiders.

+1

Are you gigging or jamming with others or is it just for you to jam to backing tracks etc at home?

If it's just you, you might want to consider something like a second hand Line 6 UX1 and a couple of desktop monitors. You can pick up a UX1 on Ebay for £40-50. If you can't afford monitors just use PC speakers until you can afford it. There's some great tones to be had using the Pod Farm software that comes free with the UX1.

Just to add I also own a DSL40c. Like others have said this beast needs to be cranked really so not really bedroom material IMHO. Also the stock speaker isn't great and takes ages to break in.

I hope this helps!
Last edited by Goochster at May 18, 2015,
It is just me. And I am just really learning. But I do feel I have a good ear for the sounds and I love the marshall sounds. What do you think about the Vypyr VIP?
Quote by Giants72
It is just me. And I am just really learning. But I do feel I have a good ear for the sounds and I love the marshall sounds. What do you think about the Vypyr VIP?

often recommended here. overall it's a good practice amp
The DSL40C is a practice amp really. Stick an overdrive in front of it and you'll be fine. Spend your money on upgrades to the DSL, specifically speaker and tubes.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
The DSL40C is a practice amp really. Stick an overdrive in front of it and you'll be fine. Spend your money on upgrades to the DSL, specifically speaker and tubes.

+1 with an OD out front it should be workable as far as volume goes.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
+1 with an OD out front it should be workable as far as volume goes.

How does using the OD help?
Quote by Giants72
How does using the OD help?

You use it to boost the signal entering the amp. On the OD have volume dimed, gain zero, and tone set to taste.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
You use it to boost the signal entering the amp. On the OD have volume dimed, gain zero, and tone set to taste.

what this does is give your signal more focus which usually results in a better tone. instead of turning the gain way up on the amp which often results in a mushy sound you can hit the front of the amp with a stronger signal from the guitar (boost). this helps you to further shape the distortion characteristics.

many players use the boost for their lead tone. you can set the amp up for your crushing rhythm sound and then kick the overdrive on to shape your lead sound.