Hey guys, bored at work so I figured I'd pose a kinda analytical query.
So my brother and I were having a conversation about slayer (he loves them, I can't stand em) and it came to the subject of why so many people seem to dislike genres that are "opposite" of the one they primarily listen to. I'm pretty open, I'll listen to country, metal, rock, rap, even pop and jrock on occasion. However I know several people that love rock and rap and pop but hate country. Or mostly vice-versa since I live in Oklahoma.
So my question is: do you think people like and dislike what they do because of some aspect of the music, or is it more because of societal influence?
Yeah. I guess a better way of asking is: do you think society or a band/song's independent aspects have more effect on people in general liking said band/song?
I think you care too much about what other people are doing.

There are a HUUUUGE number of things that influence a person's taste. It's the sort of thing that requires a degree level understanding of psychology to understand.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
I really just kinda meant in general, but I understand what you mean. You don't think there's really an answer I suppose.
And like I said, I'm just bored at work today. I don't really care what others think I guess. Too much trouble
There's no such thing as a general answer in this case. It'd be like saying "I can explain what this fish looks like, but I'm actually blind."

An answer with no information behind it.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by Lgarretto
I really just kinda meant in general, but I understand what you mean. You don't think there's really an answer I suppose.
And like I said, I'm just bored at work today. I don't really care what others think I guess. Too much trouble

Let me put it this way, in the form of another argument in the music community:

"What is rock and roll?". Is rock and roll just '50s era rockabilly? Is it stuff from the '70s rock and roll? Is stuff from the '80s?
What instrumentation makes something rock and roll? Are songs that have a basic rock and roll feel but don't use tradition rock and roll instrumentation still "rock and roll"?

I could keep going, but the point is ultimately this: there is no simple answer, and a lot of it comes down to opinion and/or personal feelings. Someone could justifiably argue that Punk of the '70s had a rock and roll rebellious quality to it (and therefore it is rock and roll), whereas someone else could say that Punk isn't rock and roll. Both opinions are technically correct. Your question is a similar deal, because 1 person may love Death Metal and another hate it. Both their views on Death Metal are valid.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

"What is rock and roll?"

Rock and roll (often written as rock & roll or rock 'n' roll) is a genre of popular music that originated and evolved in the United States during the late 1940s and early 1950s, primarily from a combination of predominantly African-American genres such as blues, boogie woogie, jump blues, jazz, and gospel music,3 together with Western swing and country music. Though elements of rock and roll can be heard in blues records from the 1920s and in country records of the 1930s,4 the genre did not acquire its name until the 1950s.

here you go :y:
will someone carry me across ten thousand miles under the silence
I was born in the 50's and grew up in 60's so I have seen a lot of changes in music. Some I like some I don't. Because I have heard so much over the years I have become a bit jaded when people think some band, singer or musician is doing "something new". Nine out of ten times it isn't new nor should we expect it it be. All music is influenced by what came before. Anyone who thinks any band is doing something no one has ever done before or created a new sound just hasn't heard enough of what came before it. This is not a complaint at all. Bands hear a little piece of something they like or want to explore more and take that sound to a higher level or in a different direction but it still retains the ghost of what came before.

I enjoy all types of music (except rap which I don't consider music in any way). I like a wide variety of music I rarely say anything sucks just because it doesn't appeal to me. What I do like are players and bands that are not a "one trick pony" who can only play in one style and keep repeating the same sound with a new riff album after album. If that's what you want to listen to it's OK by me, go for it. I can't limit myself to one specific style of music. In the end that's why they make chocolate and vanilla ice cream and 100 other flavors. Some people always order the same flavor while I want to taste them all and they are all good to someone.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at May 19, 2015,
Quote by Rickholly74
(except rap which I don't consider music in any way)

this one thought disqualifies all of your opinions
Quote by Baby Joel
this one thought disqualifies all of your opinions

I don't even understand how it's possible to like "everything else" but hate rap tbh.
Quote by slipknot5678
I don't even understand how it's possible to like "everything else" but hate rap tbh.

cuz dem dere geetars is all u needs to maek da jiggly airs hyuck hyuck hyuck

rip dimesack \-/
To each his own but I find little to no musical content in most of the rap I hear. I'll just suffer my life without it. By the way I didn't say I like "everything else" I said I like "all types of music". Big difference.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at May 19, 2015,
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Your hipster is showing...

m8 tbf , my hipster is showing all the time. mad leather shoes, the world's greatest socks, bright chinos, and any shirt that makes it look like I didn't plan my outfit

and yeah I'm with slipknot. rap being the only genre to not be music is absurd. There's literally hundreds of genres and subgenres

also hating on rap really shows a severe unfamiliarity with the genre. saying rap is bad, when you've only heard the charts top 20, is like saying that rock is bad because nickelback had charted tunes all over the place.

and rap's origin is better than any other music genre
I'm also don't like polka music (except the Schmenge Brothers) but I don't think that makes me a bad guy. Since when do I have to explore the sub genres of rap. I don't like it. Ain't gonna listen to it. This may come as a shock but a lot of people don't like rap. If you like it, knock yourself out and listen to it.
Attachments:
cabbage_rolls_coffe_schmenge[1].jpg
you said it yourself, I don't care if anyone likes it or dislikes rap.

Here's the bit I have a problem with:
Quote by Rickholly74

i don't care if you hate it, i don't care if you know the background, I don't care if NWA scared you off in the 80s or anything.

I care that you don't think it's music. That's the problem.
Quote by slipknot5678

Yeah. He probably hates a lot of other types of music but either doesn't know that he hates it because he just never thought about it or because he doesn't know it exists.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
I don't like all genres of music, but hate is too strong of a word. If I don't like some style of music, I just don't listen to it. Everyone has their own taste. Even within genres, there are some sub- genres I like and others that I don't. Take metal for example, some metal is my favorite music of all whereas some metal I find unlistenable. There are some good pop songs, but I can't say I like every pop song ever written. I don't like rap and I am not going to force myself to become familiar with it as I'd rather spend that time listening to something I enjoy and can relate to.
I didn't use the word "hate". That's a gross misinterpretation of what I wrote and what I meant. I said I don't like rap. That means I don't enjoy it and I don't choose to listen to it. I didn't say I "hate" anything. I said "I rarely say anything sucks just because it doesn't appeal to me" I stand by that.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at May 21, 2015,
Quote by Rickholly74
I said I don't like rap.

well, no. you said this:
Quote by Rickholly74

there's a big difference.

here's what you're saying: "I like all forms of film (except for sci-fi which I don't consider cinematic in any way)"

Almost more than anything, this is an argument of semantics and word choice and sentence structure and whatever. But I find it very close-minded to discount one of the most influential genres in the last fifty years.

Again, I'm fine if you don't like it or hate it or burn it or whatever.
What is wrong with sharing an opinion? I think I framed my relies properly by saying that "I" don't like rap. I also don't like brussel sprouts either but I hope people who like them are not overly offended and believe they need to defend the brussel sprout community at large and I don't think my opinion will cause the sale of brussel sprouts to suffer any.
are brussel sprouts considered food?

anyway this isn't really going anywhere, so I'll just say this bit

i really don't care what you like and what you don't like. I am frustrated by your dismissal of rap as music. Again, I don't care if you don't like it, but it is absolutely music.

and there we go :shrug:
You're right and maybe I just haven't heard any of it that appeals to me. We agree to disagree. Thanks for the interaction.
no worries, cheers for being civil and the like, and sorry if I came out sounding aggressive

we cool
Quote by Rickholly74
I'm also don't like polka music (except the Schmenge Brothers) but I don't think that makes me a bad guy. Since when do I have to explore the sub genres of rap. I don't like it. Ain't gonna listen to it. This may come as a shock but a lot of people don't like rap. If you like it, knock yourself out and listen to it.

SCTV reference ftw
I have an old VHS tape of "The Last Polka" that HBO released in the 80's but for some reason as far as I can tell it has never been out on DVD. That's a shame. It's the great "lost" John Candy movie (thankfully someone has also posted it in it's entirety on YouTube). Like "This Is Spinal Tap" (that came out a year earlier), this is movie musicians will love more than the general public because of all of the music references. You could say John Candy and Eugene Levy did this "mockumentary" style bit first because they had been doing this as a regular bit on SCTV for a few years before Spinal Tap. Nice that you picked up on the Schmenge reference.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at May 26, 2015,
Quote by slipknot5678

Part of it just depends how willing someone is to actually explore music genres. If I only listened to the radio I'd also think hip-hop/rap is horrible, but if you dig a little bit deeper you can find some great stuff. Some of it even has GEETARS, YEEHAAH!

Of course some genres just won't appeal to some people, but I think a lot of people also don't really give them a "fair chance". They hear a few songs from a genre they don't like and immediately assume the whole genre is bad. A lot of people do a lot less exploring of music once they get past their high school/college years too when they suddenly have a lot of responsibilities. It's almost a cliche at this point hearing people say "music was better in the *insert decade when they were young*".

Music means very different things depending on the person too. For some people it's just nice background music. For others it's a deep emotional experience that moves them in a way no other form of art can.
Quote by Baby Joel
you said it yourself, I don't care if anyone likes it or dislikes rap.

Here's the bit I have a problem with:

i don't care if you hate it, i don't care if you know the background, I don't care if NWA scared you off in the 80s or anything.

I care that you don't think it's music. That's the problem.

I thought rap was the speaking bit and hip-hop was the music. So rap on its own isn't music (which needs melody / harmony as well as rhythm) in the same way as poetry isn't music.
Yeah, technically 'rap' is the vocal technique. But it's been used so much to refer to hip-hop, that it might as well be the same word.

So yeah, technically rap isn't music, but colloquially it is.
I think rap without a beat is music too. It's not really the same as straight up spoken word poetry. There's a musical element to it and it blurs the line between spoken word, chanting, and often singing. The best rappers make good poetry but their voices are also like a percussion instrument.