Ok so for a while i've been wanting a Les Paul, however i'm not a fan of thick necks: My SG neck is a bit to fat for me and as it's a well known fact that gibson/epiphone necks are chunky i'm just wondering are there any Les Paul style guitars that have a thinner neck

Music genre's i tend to play

- Blues (mainly improving blues, love it)
- Classic Rock
- Metal
- Hard Rock

I'm not looking to BUY one so no need to list prices just wanna know brands so i can decide weather the dream of owning a Les Paul should stay just that
There are many Les Pauls with thinner necks apart from the 50's reissues. Look for those which have '60s' style or 'SlimTaper' necks. The 50's necks are the chunky ones, if you don't want a thick neck then you should avoid Les Pauls with 50's rounded necks. Apart from signature models, I think Les Paul classics have the thinnest necks out of the lot

I've heard LP Classics from early to late 2000's have pretty thin necks, perhaps look for a used one from that era.
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Godin Velocity
Peavey Vypyr 15 Watt
AMT WH1 Japanese Girl Wah
Marshall BB-2 Boost/OD
Joyo JF-07 Classic Flanger
Joyo JF-37 Analog Chorus
Last edited by BlueIceBox at May 18, 2015,
Quote by BlueIceBox
There are many Les Pauls with thinner necks apart from the 50's reissues. Look for those which have '60s' style or 'SlimTaper' necks. The 50's necks are the chunky ones, if you don't want a thick neck then you should avoid Les Pauls with 50's rounded necks. Apart from signature models, I think Les Paul classics have the thinnest necks out of the lot

A few epiphones i've been looking at have the slim tapper, are they as thick as s Schecther neck (that's a comfortable fit for me doing the fast metal riffs i wanna learn)

I do ofc have an Ibanez with a really think neck, and i love it, but ofc no LP is gonna have that thin of a neck
The Fernandes Monterey is another LPClone with a slender neck.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Agile AL series guitars have a relatively slim neck compared to the 50's baseball bat necks on some Gibsons. It would compare more closely to Gibson's '60's series necks. As you've probably noticed, Gibson actually has several different neck profiles to choose from, and should not be considered "chunky" necks only.

But there's more to the Agile neck profiles. In addition to a standard profile, they have a "wide" profile, which gives you a 1 3/4" width at the nut (depth remains the same as on standard neck profiles). In addition to that, they have a "slim" or "thin" neck profile, which reduces the depth of the neck to an Ibanez-challenging 17mm depth at the 1st fret and about 20.5mm at the 12th fret.

I have an Agile neck profile that's both wide AND thin -- 1 3/4" width at the nut and 17mm depth at the 1st fret.
I'll bet Matt Heafy's signature Epiphone Les Paul has a pretty nice neck. It's a 1960's SlimTaper; D profile. Also has a Glued In; Deep-Set Neck Joint with "Axcess" heel. It looks nice. And I think he sounds pretty good playing it.

Here's a link to it.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/epiphone-limited-edition-matt-heafy-les-paul-custom-electric-guitar
Quote by Roc8995
Yes, and people still got polio and you had to crank your car up by hand and put whale oil in the lamps every night.

Things are better now.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Style is in the hands. Taste is in the hands. But tone? Tone is in the gear.
Yeah the Matt Heafy guitar actually has a D-shaped neck similar to what you'd find on a Gibson V. Its really comfortable.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by DanyFS
Take a look at the ESP LTD ECs. Their neck is quite thin.

Yep. My Eclipse has the thin u profile that most of the ESP/LTDs have.

Most of the ESP/LTDs may have too hot of pickups for a standard les paul sound though so consider that.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Schecter makes the Solo body style which is similar to a LP body, albeit a bit more curvy. They have a few different models as well so I'm sure you could find something with the same Schecter neck your used to.
Question Everything
Gear
PRS SE 245
Schecter Solo Special
B-52 AT-100
Orange CR60
Fulltone GT-500
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Banshee Talkbox
LTD's have really thin necks if you get a high level one. My H1001 is very thin or so I thought until I got my SE Tremonti LTD last year, makes my 1001 feel like a fence post...it's Very Very Slim.
My gastronomic rapacity knows no satiety.
I own 4 Epiphone Les Paul's and a Gibson Les Paul (1973). Each one has a slightly different neck. The Epiphone Custom has the fattest and the Ultra has the slimmest (it also has the "satin" finish, not glossy), the best for me is the Epi Les Paul 1960 Tribute Plus with the "D" shaped neck (fatter at the top and thinner at the bottom). I suggest you find a store with a few Gibson, Epi, or LTD and try some to what works for you. I just bought an Agile AL-2000 and it has a nice neck similar to an Epiphone Les Paul Standard.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
The 70s Tribute has a nice thick-to-thin neck with a volute. It’s almost the same as the regular (non-SLS) Schecter necks.
My guitar teacher mentioned Dean, anyone have experience with their guitars in terms of their necks?

FYI i wouldn't get a active pickup LP, although the punch is great for metal, they are to focused for my liking i tend to go through phases of genres
Quote by Tcrumpen
My guitar teacher mentioned Dean, anyone have experience with their guitars in terms of their necks?

FYI i wouldn't get a active pickup LP, although the punch is great for metal, they are to focused for my liking i tend to go through phases of genres

Deans get a bad reputation on this forum. They are overpriced in my opinion, only the higher end models are worth it. But still a bit overpriced.

You would be better off with the other Les Pauls people mentioned above.
Quote by DanyFS
Deans get a bad reputation on this forum. They are overpriced in my opinion, only the higher end models are worth it. But still a bit overpriced.

You would be better off with the other Les Pauls people mentioned above.

Well the one that caught my eye was the Thoroughbred Deluxe (£580)

So basically a Epi or Gibby would be fine as long as it has a 60's slimtapper neck?

Looks at Shcecter don't do passive LP's
Quote by Tcrumpen

Deans under $500 usually aren't worth it compared to the competition. Over that, they're worthy of consideration.

I like the Chicago and '79 (?) models, and their USA models are as good as any.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Deans under $500 usually aren't worth it compared to the competition. Over that, they're worthy of consideration.

I like the Chicago and '79 (?) models, and their USA models are as good as any.

well as the ones i'm looking at are £550 - £700 ($850 to $1085 approx.) i think i should consider them
Quote by Tcrumpen
Well the one that caught my eye was the Thoroughbred Deluxe (£580)

So basically a Epi or Gibby would be fine as long as it has a 60's slimtapper neck?

Looks at Shcecter don't do passive LP's

I am a bit biased when it comes to Deans because there are very few models that I actually like, and none of them are the LPs.

Anyway, if you can try it before you buy it, it would be best. If you like the feel of the guitar and its sound, I see no reasons not to buy it.

Like dannyalcatraz said, the higher end models are worth looking at. I may not like them very much, but I admit that they are well built guitars in higher price ranges.

Have you taken a look at the LTD ECs? I like them quite a lot.
Quote by DanyFS
I am a bit biased when it comes to Deans because there are very few models that I actually like, and none of them are the LPs.

Anyway, if you can try it before you buy it, it would be best. If you like the feel of the guitar and its sound, I see no reasons not to buy it.

Like dannyalcatraz said, the higher end models are worth looking at. I may not like them very much, but I admit that they are well built guitars in higher price ranges.

Have you taken a look at the LTD ECs? I like them quite a lot.

I had a brief look all the ones i saw all had actives, and i do always try before i buy, but i like doing research
Quote by Tcrumpen
I had a brief look all the ones i saw all had actives, and i do always try before i buy, but i like doing research

Ah, I see. But the 401 doesn't has active pups: http://www.thomann.de/pt/esp_ltd_ec401vf_stbc.htm

They are available in other finishes too.
Last edited by DanyFS at May 20, 2015,
Pickups can easily be changed. Necks not so much.

Find something you like the feel and look of, then change the pickups if they don't work with the rest of your setup.

If you want to sound close to Slash don't get EMGs but if you're going into an 8" cheap amp you're screwed anyway.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
Quote by metalmingee
Pickups can easily be changed. Necks not so much.

Find something you like the feel and look of, then change the pickups if they don't work with the rest of your setup.

If you want to sound close to Slash don't get EMGs but if you're going into an 8" cheap amp you're screwed anyway.

I've got a Blackstar ID:30 so i don't believe that is a "8" cheap amp"
Quote by Tcrumpen
I've got a Blackstar ID:30 so i don't believe that is a "8" cheap amp"

Cool. Just making the point that the amp is more important to your sound than the pickups and pickups are easily changed. I wouldn't make a decision on a particular guitar just because of the pickups - that's probably one of the last considerations since you seem to be set on an HH setup (though I do value staying with either active or passive but that's not a huge deal, just a convenience).

Regardless, I'd play every type of Les Paul you can find before you make your decision. Or you can end up like most folks and be dead set on a particular guitar after months of research, walk into a store, and walk out with something completely different!

Happy hunting!
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
Quote by metalmingee
Cool. Just making the point that the amp is more important to your sound than the pickups and pickups are easily changed. I wouldn't make a decision on a particular guitar just because of the pickups - that's probably one of the last considerations since you seem to be set on an HH setup (though I do value staying with either active or passive but that's not a huge deal, just a convenience).

Regardless, I'd play every type of Les Paul you can find before you make your decision. Or you can end up like most folks and be dead set on a particular guitar after months of research, walk into a store, and walk out with something completely different!

Happy hunting!

I ended up doing that with my most recent guitar :p
I've had several Gibson Les Pauls. I have smaller hands and I usually start having thickness issues with them above the 12th fret. I think this is pretty common on all Gibson Les Pauls. I had an ESP Eclipse II for a while and like others have said, the neck is much thinner throughout. I'm not a fan of EMGs but I still have an ESP Eclipse 1 that has the Seymour Duncans and they sound great.
If you're based in the UK, The vintage (brand) v100's have pretty thin neck (but not too thin) whilst still maintaining the same look as a actual LP unlike the ESPs. cheaper than a epiphone and just as good imo.

Also, All hardware on the v100 is wilkinson so it's pretty much guaranteed to be good quality
Last edited by JoeyPsycho at May 23, 2015,