So after 2 weeks of tube waiting (UPS broke one of 'em) I finally got to work with new pedals I got. Please note I'm playing by myself, rest of gear in the sig.

1) Seymour Duncan 805 (new) vs Green Rhino (current): I was looking for something a bit smaller yet comparably tweak-able. Duncan 805 for $100 used (plus $16 tax+ship ).

Dirty amp (maiden levels of gain) for a solo boost: Green rhino provides more boost (noon level for GR vs full level + 9:00-noon drive for 805). However, both provide a similar level of clarity, able to remove bass without adding harshness. I'm leaning towards keeping the GR and returning the 805 since notes sound a bit thin on the 805; also much more pinch harmonic galore with the GR.

Clean: From what I did today, I think each has about the same amount of volume (9:00 each were similar); gain was around the same, too, maybe a bit more on the green rhino. Comparing tones, I think the Green Rhino is capable of more, able to sound more open but can match the smoothness of the 805. I found I couldn't turn really either knob of the 805 too high without getting too muddy or piercingly sharp.

Also discovered that the curve knob on the Green rhino isn't exactly a mid knob, more of a subtle high frequency knob that works with the tone knob.

2) MXR '78 Badass ($45) vs TC Electronic Dark Matter ($69)-I bought these because they were cheap used and literally just arrived at my local GC each time I went for my tube orders, always wanted to try each too. Also considering a lower gain pedal to account for the massive amount of gain on the Peavey XXX.

'78 sounds really thin, can't use the tone past OR lower than 9:30ish, crunch is off. Dark Matter is far more versatile, does everything the '78 does in terms of tone and gain range, and more because there's more distortion on tap. '78 has a bit more volume (9:00 on '78=10/11 on TC). Could almst dial in a Maiden type tone with the

3) (Will do tomorrow, too) EQD Hoof vs Swollen pickle. Needed something a bit smaller than the current SP. Hoof was $105, free ship off reverb.

I'll be updating based on what I keep/return or sell (and pics, of course) and anything I didn't notice today. I really only tested strictly on what I'd be using these for, though I can do other stuff on request.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Last edited by Maidenheadsteve at May 19, 2015,
Nice

Don't big up the dark matter too much, they're on offer here and I'm trying to resist
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Nice

Don't big up the dark matter too much, they're on offer here and I'm trying to resist

resistence is futile

interesting can't say i've ever bought a bunch of pedals and then sorted out what to keep like that. maybe i should
This is the first time I've done many at once; usually I do one at a time but I refused to miss out on the 805 and hoof deals; the other 2 pedals were just impulse buys since I hadn't tried them (30 day return, probably returning 'em anyway).
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
HNPD! really like the hoof,but i am not much of a fuzz kind of guy. i would love to hear the hoof in comparison to the musket, they are different but i like them both.

side topic:

if you don't mind me asking, where did you get the tubes from that were broken? was it the sellers poor packaging or UPS abuse?

i am going to get some more tubes myself and i don't want to have a problem.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
HNPD! really like the hoof,but i am not much of a fuzz kind of guy. i would love to hear the hoof in comparison to the musket, they are different but i like them both.

side topic:

if you don't mind me asking, where did you get the tubes from that were broken? was it the sellers poor packaging or UPS abuse?

i am going to get some more tubes myself and i don't want to have a problem.

I'm eyeing a musket myself; the reverb seller I got the hoof from doesn't do returns so I've got all the time in the world to compare if I get a musket.

Side topic response
As for the broken tube: only 1 of 4 (ordered online from Guitar center, shipped to my local GC); couldn't have been Guitar Center (shipped there by UPS) since I left the second I was told it got there . I can't actually gauge whose fault it was (USP or JJ electronics); the box with the 4 boxes of individual tubes had paper padding in it, and each individual box for each tube had the same (can't recall if the broken one was as well wrapped).
3) Swollen Pickle (current) vs Hoof: SP set to a big muff voicing (Mids 9:00, voice around 1:00, clip just a bit less than fully counter clockwise) . I did a Sabbath-tone (doom) and Smashing pumpkins (90's alternative) tone on each.

Both very smooth. SP has more gain on tap (neither good nor bad in my world); noon for SP>full for hoof, 9:00 for the SP is roughly noon for the hoof. More volume for the hoof fully clockwise.

Now, this is where "playing by myself" comes into play. The SP allows me to get more accurate tones when I play this way since I can cut more mids. I'm gonna be playing with a band on Wed. so I'll have a fuller idea then, but as of now, I feel the SP. does the two genres I mentioned better. From playing and from what I remember from my old big muff pi, I feel like the shift knob fully clockwise is basically the stock muff tone, whereas the Swollen pickle mid controls (scoop and clip) allow more tweaking.
Quote by dspellman
log onto the axe...and you shall receive dot com website (https://www.axeandyoushallreceive.com/ ).

You guys are way too limited to large-production-numbers pedals.

You need to really see what's out there.

I s'pose the majority of my rig is "mainstream" (I think I just puked a bit just using the phrase even in jest) but it does the trick. I don't feel limited or restricted; it just so happens the large production pedals can fit my needs.

Anywhoozle: Now I'm really torn between the Green Rhino and 805; I'd be bummed that the 805 needs full level and 10:00ish drive to do what the GR does at around 12:30 level to a dirty amp, but since the goal was to downsize and get close tone wise, it basically succeeded. Will have a final verdict on this and the hoof/SP tomorrow after a full band jam.

So far all I know for sure from this crap is that if you need a classic rock/early origins of metal dirt box, the TC Dark Matter will, at the least, be better than a '78 by a wide margin. Close to an amp-like sound of it, excellent tone control and good gain range. Sorry Dave, it's just a darn fine distortion.
Quote by dspellman
log onto the axe...and you shall receive dot com website (https://www.axeandyoushallreceive.com/ ).

well some of us aren't rich or want to bother with ordering and then returning a bunch of pedals just to try them. i have access to a fair number of different pedals locally so i can't say i kill myself to look on line. you also can make yourself nuts with all the pedals available. just looking at overdrives can make you insane considering that there are 100s of different ones available.

seems to me that starting with the more pedestrian "name brand" gear is the way to go. once you have some experience then you'll have a way better abilty to decide what little nuance that a boutique pedal may have to offer.
^ And also the fact that an awful lot of the boutique pedals (not all) are just clones (or glorified clones) of something cheaper which already exists anyway.

Quote by monwobobbo
resistence is futile

interesting can't say i've ever bought a bunch of pedals and then sorted out what to keep like that. maybe i should

LOL

and yeah me neither. At least, all at once- I have at times bought a pedal wondering if I'll prefer it to something I already have.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ And also the fact that an awful lot of the boutique pedals (not all) are just clones (or glorified clones) of something cheaper which already exists anyway.

LOL

and yeah me neither. At least, all at once- I have at times bought a pedal wondering if I'll prefer it to something I already have.

i believe the "pc" way of putting that is "tonally enhanced replications". clones just sounds like copies and who pays big money for that
yeah
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by dspellman

wow look at all that blueswankery gear. i must have it all.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Quote by AcousticMirror
wow look at all that blueswankery gear. i must have it all.

well you can never have enough BluesWankery gear. if it will help to be even 1% closer to getting the perfect SRV tone then money should be no object.
Back on topic: Played with a drummer today and...I'm torn on each pedal. And disillusioned, since I really don't know how to compare pedals now since the settings I had by myself aren't too realistic.

For certain: SP has more gain than the hoof, yet hoof has more volume. The warmth of the SP depends on what you have the "voice" set to; with my setting (around 1:00) I had tone at 1:00; hoof was around noon for tone. Mids on the SP depend on the internal clip setting; I had them at noon (clip at around 3:00); about the same on the hoof, maybe a bit less. This was for a Sabbath tone. I have time to work with so no rush.

Green Rhino: 0 drive, noon level, curve around 11:00 (let some upper highs/presence in)= 805: drive<9:00, level past 3:00 but not full, mids at noon. I added a bit of treble (1:00) and cut a bit of bass on each (9:00). Into Maiden setting amp. My heart says GR but my mind and need to downsize a bit says 805.

And Dave: Already had the Pickle and Rhino for a while
Last edited by Maidenheadsteve at May 20, 2015,
^ Ah ok
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
hi. do you have parts for my old korg ax5g footswitch? i need the plastic citcuit board for restore the mine is broken. or if you can try to looking for this parts for me in your country because in mexico city there are any for this. and sell me please. i`m new user in this site help me. or post this requirement into other forum for try to find this part.
Quote by joselo1234567
hi. do you have parts for my old korg ax5g footswitch? i need the plastic citcuit board for restore the mine is broken. or if you can try to looking for this parts for me in your country because in mexico city there are any for this. and sell me please. i`m new user in this site help me. or post this requirement into other forum for try to find this part.

Don't thread jack. Its rude. Start your own thread.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/