I just got an SM57, an Alesis io2, and some monitors to record "studio quality" stuff at home. I'm running it into audacity (I'll be getting reaper soon). when I record, I'm getting faint buzzing (probably grounds), and more annoyingly, what sounds like massive clipping on all my tracks. there's also a high pitched squeals only while I'm playing most of the time, but that's not as much of an issue as the clipping. it's not showing up in the waveform, but it is definitely audible in the playback. I've isolated the issues I'm having to either the interface, the mic, or the laptop, which has no soundcard, really (it's software based). there's no unreasonable amount of noise coming from my amp. my mic is placed properly, and I've adjusted all levels. any ideas on what's happening?
acid eater, gear is at my instagram ( itakenickpics). mesas, strats, vintage jap guits.

play good shit on shitty gear, not shitty shit on good gear

check out jazz, acid, and post rock stuff soundcloud.com/s-w-y-c-h & swych.bandcamp.com
update: turned off second channel of alesis io2, situation improved. clipping now seems to be mostly on bassier frequencies
acid eater, gear is at my instagram ( itakenickpics). mesas, strats, vintage jap guits.

check out jazz, acid, and post rock stuff soundcloud.com/s-w-y-c-h & swych.bandcamp.com
You might want to post some clips so we can get an idea of what might be wrong.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1QObREdDb2l

Looking to get rid of that digital whine

I know I'm not very good, I've only been playing for 2 years and this is on a fender mustang

Sounds too bassy.
Also it's a mono track.
Guitar sounds a bit bright.

No "digital whine" or "squeak" or anything I can hear though.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
oh yeah, it's not mixed at all. not even a little. but through my monitors I'm heading a whine. hopefully it's just the monitors, although the whine is not present when playing other songs on YouTube and such. like I said, playing off a fender modeling amp that I got for $100 so it's no twin reverb