I was wondering which modern amps either natively or through emulation come closest to the sound of a Fender Bassman. Specifically do any of the Mustang series amps do a good job of emulating this fine old classic amps sound?
What's your budget? You could probably just get a Bassman, honestly! All of the Fender Mustangs have a '69 Bassman model, but won't be quite the same due to the Bassman being all tube and Mustangs being solid state with digital circuitry.

I wouldn't think the model would be too bad. I mean, how difficult can it be to replicate a clean amp?
Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe RI
Schecter C-1 Artist II
1978 Music Man HD130
+ a bunch of neat pedals

screamy emo band
Last edited by nick.culliton at May 19, 2015,
There's a shit ton of bassman's, what bassman are you thinking about in particular?
What's your budget?
Where do you live?
Quote by nick.culliton
but won't be quite the same due to the Bassman being all tube and Mustangs being solid state with digital circuitry.
They won't sound the same but I'd advocate the reason has little ro do with tubes or transistors or processors.

Tho yeah it won't be the same, for whatever reason, but if your budget's tight it'll probably be good enough.
Quote by nick.culliton
I wouldn't think the model would be too bad. I mean, how difficult can it be to replicate a clean amp?
Quite difficult actually.

Spider's clean amp models don't sound very good either
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
The best Bassman amp model I’ve tried is the one in Revalver. Sadly I gave up on Revalver because the Mac version turned into a buggy POS.

Problem solved
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
Last edited by The Judist at May 19, 2015,
Quote by Spambot_2

Quite difficult actually.

Spider's clean amp models don't sound very good either

Well damn, I am losing faith in amps.

I don't remember the clean channel on my Spider sounding too bad. It was a lot better without all the crappy effects on, that's for sure.
Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe RI
Schecter C-1 Artist II
1978 Music Man HD130
+ a bunch of neat pedals

screamy emo band
Quote by Spambot_2
There's a shit ton of bassman's, what bassman are you thinking about in particular?

Yeah, that's a Fender name that's been attached to a lot of very different amps.
Someone asked me a question about a Bassman some time ago, and I walked into the Vintage section of the Sunset Strip GC to try some out. The first ones (early '50's) were tweed 26W combo amps with an open back and a single 15" speaker. They eventually grew to 50W heads on 2x15 closed back cabinets, with stops at combo 4x10 open backs along the way. The 5E6 circuit that Marshall copied didn't happen at first, and even that was replaced by Fender not too many years after it was introduced.

As Spambot_2 suggests, there really isn't one "the bassman" amp, but lots, and all significantly different.
There are some quite convincing RM100 Bassman modules that do a far better job than any modeler I've heard. I've got the Tweed module which is early tweed Bassman.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification