Hi, I will be attempting to learn my first full song which would be 'Cause We Ended As Lovers'. I have the sheet music to it. I was wondering if I should learn bar by bar until I can play each up to speed cleanly and keep on progressing until I can play the whole thing?
There are any number of ways of learning a song, that's certainly one way of going about it that definitely can work. Another thing you want to consider is putting the parts together before you get up to speed as well; still break it in to manageable chunks but you definitely need to consider how you're going to play them next to each other. For something like 'Cause We Ended As Lovers it might not be so important, what with it being relatively slow, but it's always worth thinking about.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
There are any number of ways of learning a song, that's certainly one way of going about it that definitely can work. Another thing you want to consider is putting the parts together before you get up to speed as well; still break it in to manageable chunks but you definitely need to consider how you're going to play them next to each other. For something like 'Cause We Ended As Lovers it might not be so important, what with it being relatively slow, but it's always worth thinking about.

Yes, Jeff Beck is one of my all time favourites and I picked this song precisely for the reason it was slow and also for the fact I have the song memorized note by note in my brain.
It's a great song. You are right in that it is slow and the notes are not too difficult to learn. The thing about this song is Jeff's technique. Don't get too hung up on Jeff's swells and dynamics until you've got the notes down cleanly. It's a song you can grow with and learn a lot from. It's not as easy to play as cleanly and defined as Jeff plays on this. Each note rings out beautifully. Watch a video on YouTube of Jeff playing it live to catch his inversions (where he is playing on the neck) and I suggest the older the videos are better because Jeff has changed the way he plays it in recent years. That's just Jeff being Jeff. Great choice.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at May 19, 2015,
Quote by Rickholly74
It's a great song. You are right in that it is slow and the notes are not too difficult to learn. The thing about this song is Jeff's technique. Don't get too hung up on Jeff's swells and dynamics until you've got the notes down cleanly. It's a song you can grow with and learn a lot from. It's not as easy to play as cleanly and defined as Jeff plays on this. Each note rings out beautifully. Watch a video on YouTube of Jeff playing it live to catch his inversions (where he is playing on the neck) and I suggest the older the videos are better because Jeff has changed the way he plays it in recent years. That's just Jeff being Jeff. Great choice.

Yes I own Jeff Beck Live at Ronnie Scott's which is one of my priced possessions. You're right in saying that how much his technique has evolved when comparing Jeff Beck today to Jeff Beck in the 60s and 70s. Yes, I have realised that I can never reproduce what he does as he seems to do what would normally requires 4 hands to do for an average person
Great song, excellent chord progression.

You inspired me to learn it. I found a few good lessons on YouTube by Pebber Brown On the chords, melody and solo.

🎸
great song but i dunno about something like that for my first tune to learn. how long have you been playing. i'll also have to say that without all the little nuances that jeff gives to that piece it won't sound the same and you may be disappointed.
Quote by monwobobbo
great song but i dunno about something like that for my first tune to learn. how long have you been playing. i'll also have to say that without all the little nuances that jeff gives to that piece it won't sound the same and you may be disappointed.

Good point - if you are expecting to "sound" like Jeff, you will be dissapointed. First of all, he's been playing forever and his technique has evolved over the past 40+ years. Secondly, no matter what, you will always sound like you. Your fingers, ability, gear, and your heart define you as a player.

The thing I find most satisfying is playing a song. Simple. Learn the chords, the melody, the feel of the piece. Learning a song, is an ongoing discovery. There are so many different ways to play a piece as well.

It's a great "beginner" tune. Major chords, minor, minor 7, major 7, slow pace. Nice melody line. Solo is an extension of a basic pentatonic scale. Gotta love Stevie Wonder.

🎸
I kind of agree with monwobobbo. That's a pretty tough one to try and learn for your first song. I've been playing over 50 years and I can only make it partway through before I lose it. Love that song though, it's been my favorite instrumental...ok guitar instrumental anyway...since I first heard it in the 70's.

A lot of it is not that tough, but he also included a few really tough licks, fast as hell and I still haven't figured out just what he's doing in a couple of places. I still like the original better than any of the live versions I've heard.

Also it may be interesting to note he originally recorded it at least 20 years before he switched to exclusively finger picking.

I'd look around for something not quite as difficult for a first tune, as much as I love that song, it's really tough to get it right in quite a few places.

That's not the only great instrumental he's done either...Freeway Jam, for one is awesome too. That one might actually be easier to manage...I can do a lot better at it, if I just improvise in some spots instead of trying to copy his licks, but the main riff is killer and not that hard to learn.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Paleo Pete makes a great point that I forgot about. When you hear Jeff Play it in recent years he is playing his (now normal) finger style and using a Strat, but back when he recorded the original version on "Blow by Blow" in 1975 he was still playing a Les Paul and using a pick. Nice catch!
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Quote by Rickholly74
Paleo Pete makes a great point that I forgot about. When you hear Jeff Play it in recent years he is playing his (now normal) finger style and using a Strat, but back when he recorded the original version on "Blow by Blow" in 1975 he was still playing a Les Paul and using a pick. Nice catch!

Ya of course I know that when you are a fan of someone you learn everything about them.