Page 1 of 2
Does anyone believe that it can be useful to own a small range of guitars that can help suit different sounds and styles. I'll give you an example.

I own 2 PRS guitars both with humbuckers, an ES335 copy obviously with humbuckers, a Takamine acoustic and an Ibanez bass. The problem im finding is that some of these fine instruments don't have the sound that i need to play some styles. Sometimes i would like a single coil guitar to have that different sound.

What do you guys think, do you reckon it would be beneficial to have something like a Strat as well just for some variation?
absolutely.

collect the whole set.

you "need" one of everything.

go.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Is it useful? I guess. Is it practical? No. Can you just have a few guitars with a big variety of wiring and sounds? Yes.

That being said I have a ton of guitars.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Another vote for "Yes" from the 1 ton of axes is fun club, here.

And not just for styles, but also for tunings...
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Yes definitely.

You need

24.75 - LP-style with hum buckers, lp-style with p90s
25 - prs-style humbuckers, prs-style singles
25.5 - stratocaster style with sss, hss, hsh hard tails and tremolos, telecaster style with p90s, ss,

to start

and then lots of tuning. go go collect them all.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
I thought the versatility aspect was overrated, so I went out and got 15 of the same thing instead.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
i love having a variety, for me i have all my bases covered with my guitars
Gibson 58 VOS, Gibson Rich Robinson ES-335, Fender Strat, Fender RoadWorn 50's Tele, Gibson LP Jr Special

Marshall JTM45, Fender BJR NOS
Quote by HomerSGR
I thought the versatility aspect was overrated, so I went out and got 15 of the same thing instead.

Ha, yep. I mean, I'd like to have all sorts of different guitars with different features, but whenever I think about adding another to the collection I find it very hard to look past maple fretboard Jacksons. Having said that I've only actually got two at the moment, but I'm very tempted to add at least a third.

Whether the guitars are different or the same, more is always good. The ideal number is the number of guitars you currently have, plus one.
According to Quantity Mechanics Theory, it is actually ((N + 1)^(Pi))/X guitars, where N = number of guitars you have and X is the number of other places you can sleep when your significant other finds out the value of N. Note: X never equals 0 because it includes as "significant others" those voices in your head.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by alexriffs
Does anyone believe that it can be useful to own a small range of guitars that can help suit different sounds and styles.

Sure. Absolutely. No question.

On the other hand, it *can* get a bit out of hand. Depends on what you call a "small range of guitars..". Dannyalcatraz has half a billion guitars. I've got half a hundred. I'm not sure that either of us has reached the end of our "ranges."

I also have four Variax guitars, two of which are current models that are being played an awful lot. These are modeling guitars, and you can dial a knob and be playing a strat, tele, LP (with humbuckers or P90s), a Rick, and even several kinds of acoustic guitars. Rather than cart one of each kind of guitar around, you can take just one. The Variax are also capable of downtuning (up to an octave for each string) or UP tuning (I haven't investigated how far that will go) without affecting the string tension at all, which allows you to use a Floyd, etc., on a downtuned metal guitar.

The Variaxes sort of take the fun out of "needing to own a small range of guitars," but it's a lot more fun to carry one guitar than to carry 25.
I'm one of those in the "get out of hand" camp. Though the only reason I own a lot of guitars is because I can and I like guitars actually.

TBH, as of late out of those guitars I find I'm mostly sticking to those in my sig the most often for everything these days. I just feel "at home" and am able to get the tone I want, the only exception is I need to bring the custom Memphis strat back in every so often for Strat tones when the Jag-Stang Neck+Bridge with backed off volume just won't pull that nasally twang to the extent I want, or pull the Tele when the Jazzmaster is just being too much of an antenna.
My Current Mains
- 1996 Fender Jag-Stang with EMG Pickups
- 1998 Fender Jaguar with Cool Rails
- 1982 Hondo Paul Dean II (DiMarzio Super II X2)
- 2010 "Fender" Jazzmaster (Home built)
- 2013 Squier VM Bass VI (stock)
depends on how you want to define small range. i have a strat for single coil stuff and my BC Rich Eagle for humbuckers. this covers a pretty wide range of tones. oh and yes i have an acoustic and a bass.

of course this doesn't cover things like a hollowbody jazz box or 7+ string etc. do i feel like i'm missing out, no not really. having the bases covered that i need covered was the goal. certainly in some circumstances have a variety of guitars to cover certain styles or sounds is a good idea. since i'm not a session musician or do a lot of sub work for bands i'm pretty much good to go with what i have.
Absolutely.

I actually have two of the exact same guitars, put different pickups in them and have them tuned differently and they now both fill different purposes.

That said, I wouldn't buy something "just to have some variation". If I had a particular purpose or a void to fill then yes I would look for a new instrument, but I wouldn't just "get something a bit different" because I can.
In an ideal situation, yeah...there's nothing wrong with that. (But don't go spend your entire paycheck on it either.) If you can afford to collect as many guitars as possible, then please do.
pretty much what dspellman said
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I only play one style on electrics, and whatever variations I want can be achieved with stomp boxes. However, I have a smallish collection of electric guitars, simply because I like different sounds. -It helps me to stay interested. Some folks collect stamps I collect sounds (this is more strictly true than saying I collect guitars, because I'm not very interested in the bits of wood), so I can't argue against owning more than one guitar, for whatever reason.
I actually have two of the exact same guitars, put different pickups in them and have them tuned differently and they now both fill different purposes

Same. That's the reason I have 3 Desolations. Essentially the same platform but with different combos of pickups, bridges and neck woods (ssh).
Charvel DX-1 FR / DS-1 ST / DC-1 FR / Custom Strat / La Patrie Hybrid CW / Vypyr 30 / VK100 / 1960A
I have a bit of a different take on this. The day I bought my first electric guitar, I walked into the store with the intention of buying a blonde Telecaster with a black pick guard. I somehow walked out of the store with a Gibson Explorer. It has been my baby ever since.

I tend to keep one or two other guitars around, though, but they never seem to stay too long. For example, I'll go through a country phase (I have had a couple of these), and I'll buy a Telecaster to twang on for a few months. Then, I'll start playing a lot of classic rock or punk tunes, and I'll buy a Les Paul or an SG to play with for a while. Sometimes I just want something weird, out of curiosity. But, that's just me. I love trying new things, but I don't like having a bunch of clutter (I know I'm about to get drug through the streets for calling guitars "clutter") in my house. I check CL often and, when a good deal comes up, I'll jump on it. When I'm tired of it, I can usually find someone to buy it, without taking a loss (but not always!). Easy come, easy go.
I've been having the urge to splurge on a PRS SE or a MIM Fender lately.

This thread does not exactly help.
Having a variety of different guitars is useful if you want the variety for creative reasons or need a particular sound for session work or something. Some people never have a reason to deviate too far from a particular type of tone they naturally gravitate towards, though.

Of course, it's also a very useful skill to be able to get as much tonal variety as you can out of just one guitar - Even some very basic guitars like les paul juniors can get a surprising range of different tones if you learn how to use the volume and tone knobs effectively.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
I think if you get a guitar capable of producing a variety of tones you can manage using a decent effects setup. Never quite understood why anyone would want a guitar with just one bridge pickup. I've discovered it's a good idea to have a number of different guitars for two reasons. Firstly it's fun! Secondly guitars do wear out. I am playing every day now and I was amazed how much fret wear I put on a decent Strat. I now save my top priced guitar for performance and practice using other that were all bought for reasonable amounts of money. There are some brilliant versatile guitars out there for not much money both new and used. You don't have to pay a fortune for a collection. I used to have a White Falcon which was lovely but now I would rather have several Epiphones.
By 1994 I had the 2 electric guitars going besides my one acustic Jasmine S60 (my first guitar from 1988).

My then ESP KH2 got more play time than my Gibson Explorer (disliked the white pickguard) so it got to the point of non use and so it went for sale. It became a trade instead.

I got a homebuild Stratocaster with good quality body and neck ('80s Schecter ash body, Fender 1990 EC neck) and it gave me other sounds with the SSS kind of pickups but it took me a while to get used to it.

But still the ESP KH2 got returned and single coils were not enough for me so I got my custom shop Jackson original Rhoads new as a replacement.

In 2015 I still have the Jackson and Stratocaster but now both guitars feel equal and though I tried I don't miss my Gibson Les Paul Custom historic 2001 I had for a while but that is kind of the 3rd tonal option guitar wise.

Weird shaped humbucking guitars tend to sound the same. But the difference between a Strat and a Les Paul is clear enough with the Jackson in the middle. So I might end up getting a Les Paul Custom again.

I also got another acustic that was from dad's part of the family. A Yamaha FG160-1 which had seen basically no use at all since the owner sadly died in december 1979. Compared it to my Jasmine Takamine knock of it is thin sounding and the Yamaha thick.
I have 8 different electrics. My opinion is that there is definite value in collecting a number of different guitar makes and models so that you can determine what you really like. If you only buy one guitar and decide that guitar is all you ever need, I think you are short-changing yourself.

I'm now looking at shedding 1-2 of my Schecters. While I like Schecters and believe they are excellent value used, my taste is more focused in the areas of Gibson, Jackson and Fender. That said, while I am shedding the Schecters, I have been staring at the new ESP E-II line. I've never owned an ESP so I owe it to myself to get one eventually and spend some time with it.

I view it like dating. If you never date more than one person your entire life, then perhaps you have in fact met your soul mate.....or maybe not.
Quote by gregs1020
absolutely.

collect the whole set.

you "need" one of everything.

go.

There is no such thing as "too many guitars"!

Therefore, you definitely need a few of everything!

Honestly though, a decent Strat and a decent Tele should be part of every guitarist´s arsenal!
I'm from the camp that believes most guitars will sound good playing anything. With my Strat and RG, I've yet to find anything that sounds bad. If I'm playing someone else's song, It may not sound like whatever was recorded but that doesn't mean it sounds bad. I use my guitars pretty interchangeably. I'll use my Strat for things that were played with humbuckers and I'll use my RG for things that were played with Strats.

Owning different guitars is only as beneficial as you think it would be. I can get everything I would need from my two guitars. That's the main thing that's stopping me from buying guitars. I know that I likely won't play a new guitar more than I play my current ones. Anything new I buy has to blow me away while being completely unique from what I currently own. The only thing I've seen in the past few years is the PRS S2 Vela which will most likely be my next guitar. It's not a need but it's a want. I hear the chime and envision all of the creative possibilities. I don't get that with other guitars.
Quote by abutcher713
I think if you get a guitar capable of producing a variety of tones you can manage using a decent effects setup. Never quite understood why anyone would want a guitar with just one bridge pickup. I've discovered it's a good idea to have a number of different guitars for two reasons. Firstly it's fun! Secondly guitars do wear out. I am playing every day now and I was amazed how much fret wear I put on a decent Strat. I now save my top priced guitar for performance and practice using other that were all bought for reasonable amounts of money. There are some brilliant versatile guitars out there for not much money both new and used. You don't have to pay a fortune for a collection. I used to have a White Falcon which was lovely but now I would rather have several Epiphones.

Frets wearing =/= guitar "wearing out". Get a fret dress, and when that's not enough anymore, if the guitar's worth anything, get it refretted with stainless steel frets and never worry about fret wear again. If a guitar with worn down frets was "worn out", do you think the iconic guitars of any of the big names like SRV or Rory Gallagher or Froosh (apparently I can only think of Strat users... I had a late night) would have lasted as long as they did?

Sorry, but the sentence "guitars do wear out" just makes me think of Yngwie dumping his spare strats when he has "too many" *shudders*
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Well, I have a bad case of G.A.S as much as anyone so this comment will reflect it.

I really notice that every guitar I own (more than 14 now, not all amazing quality but all different) inspires me in a different way. I will play one for a few days or weeks, then 'rediscover' another one and play totally different music on that for a bit. It does not bode well for your wife/husband of course (my wife would be thrilled if I tossed them all out along with the amplifiers and recording gear).

Knowing this, there is almost no limit on the number of guitars that I *want*, but a practical limit to the number I can actually have. Of my collection, I do play them all over the course of a year or so.
I've only got 2guitars, one with 2active humbuckers that can be coil tapped and one with 2passive
Its all I need, usualy one is in standard while the other is in drop C or B
Fun topic.

I suppose I have a range of guitars (8) that represent most of my influences and the number seems about right to me. I typically take 2 to any gig. I don't want to have one in every color or style and new guitars don't interest me much.

Just this morning my wife suggested we continue simplifying our lives and put some cash in the bank for a rainy day. She could sell her family silverware that she never plans to use and I could sell a few vintage American guitars...

Uhhhhhh.... No.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Cajundaddy
Fun topic.

I suppose I have a range of guitars (8) that represent most of my influences and the number seems about right to me. I typically take 2 to any gig. I don't want to have one in every color or style and new guitars don't interest me much.

Just this morning my wife suggested we continue simplifying our lives and put some cash in the bank for a rainy day. She could sell her family silverware that she never plans to use and I could sell a few vintage American guitars...

Uhhhhhh.... No.

did it suddenly rain silver knifes at that suggestion
Yeah I have a few different that have their own sounds. I wouldn't want to own a bunch of the same guitars, that's just boring.

I have a PRS CE22, LP clone, Epi G-400, Ibanez JS-100, G&L ASAT deluxe and a Tele kit I built a few years ago.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by monwobobbo
did it suddenly rain silver knifes at that suggestion

I smiled and said calmly: "Honey, you really have a lot of great ideas. This just isn't one of them. There are much better ways to generate greater rainy day cash reserves. Gotta go to work now..."
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Jun 17, 2015,
2- Gibson LP's
2- Gibson SG's
2- Gibson 1982 Sonex (i am a sucker for them for some reason)
1- Gibson Flying V
3- Ibanez Prestige RG's
3- USA Fender Teles
2- MIM Fender Strats
2- USA Peavey Wolfgangs (one hard tail, one trem)
1- Semi (Sublime Chieftain)

i have 23ish (maybe 24 or 25) electrics in all, that is just what i can remember off hand..

i am s FIRM believer of having a variety of guitars for different purposes. its part of the fun for me.

FWIW i have owned a few over 60 guitars in the last 10 years. the best ones stuck around.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup

i have 23ish (maybe 24 or 25) electrics in all, that is just what i can remember off hand..

i am s FIRM believer of having a variety of guitars for different purposes. its part of the fun for me.

FWIW i have owned a few over 60 guitars in the last 10 years. the best ones stuck around.

How/where does one even keep/store 25 guitars?
Quote by dthmtl3
How/where does one even keep/store 25 guitars?

i have around 15 out (just counted) and a bunch in cases in my back room. whats harder to fit than the guitars, are the cases.

i have a lot, but quite a few people have more than me. despellman, danny, and quite a few others have more and/or nicer guitars than me. . there is one guy on here from time to time has a hundred.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by alexriffs
Does anyone believe that it can be useful to own a small range of guitars that can help suit different sounds and styles.

Yes. Literally every guitarist who plays any more than one style of music.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
Quote by K33nbl4d3
Frets wearing =/= guitar "wearing out". Get a fret dress, and when that's not enough anymore, if the guitar's worth anything, get it refretted with stainless steel frets and never worry about fret wear again. If a guitar with worn down frets was "worn out", do you think the iconic guitars of any of the big names like SRV or Rory Gallagher or Froosh (apparently I can only think of Strat users... I had a late night) would have lasted as long as they did?

Sorry, but the sentence "guitars do wear out" just makes me think of Yngwie dumping his spare strats when he has "too many" *shudders*

Yngwie has a LOT of strats. Clapton has over 250 guitars in his stash, and will bring 50 of them with him to the studio over the course of a recording session.

It IS possible to wear out a guitar. Clapton's "Blackie," for example, is worn out. The neck has become like a spaghetti noodle. It won't really hold a tune. And it's really not going to accept another refret. At this point, it's nothing more than a museum display. He has a couple of the reproductions that Fender did several years ago, and he's actually pretty grateful for them.

Other players' guitars are pretty much worn out as well, but they've just adapted to the issues/shortcomings so gradually that the frets could probably fall out and they'd keep playing them. Fender will quietly tell you that for others, the original instrument has been quietly retired, and that the guitar that they're currently playing may *look* like the same old, but it's really a reproduction that's been done (visually) down to an RCH.
Variety is good, and I like having it. It isn't necessary though, just a luxury. I have guitars with a variety of pickup styles, and the ones having humbuckers - different flavors of Duncan. I currently have 9 guitars in the stable, and would like to add number 10 at some point in the future, but I haven't decided what to go with. I would like to build my own warmoth though. Perhaps a Baritone Jaguar type, maybe a standard scale jazzmaster build with some hot buckers. Maybe I'll buy a PRS instead. I don't quite know yet.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Page 1 of 2