I saw a recent video of an interview with Eddie Van Halen. He says the invention of Tab notation came about due to his unconventional way of playing.

Does anyone know about this or is this accurate?

🎸
Ha! Please tell me that's a joke! Tablature has been around for hundreds of years.
I would say it is not accurate. Tablature as a tool has existed since the 14th century, as you can see here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tablature

Blending standard notation with tablature is also very common and was done by jazz guitarists in the 40's-50's that i know of, could have been earlier than that. So no, Van Halen does not get the credit for that, just like he didn't invent tapping.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Quote by Sickz
I would say it is not accurate. Tablature as a tool has existed since the 14th century, as you can see here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tablature

Blending standard notation with tablature is also very common and was done by jazz guitarists in the 40's-50's that i know of, could have been earlier than that. So no, Van Halen does not get the credit for that, just like he didn't invent tapping.

Actually tablature in non-western music far predates that, with guqin tablature for example dating back at least 1500 years. There are probably others as well.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
That's hilarious but completely untrue.

Here's some tab from the 16th century:

I also just want to say I love the idea of "they"... Like a collective of people who just wanted to transcribe Van Halen songs came together to create tab.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at May 19, 2015,
I love EVH's playing, but pretty much anything he says you can take with a pinch of salt.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i thinkk what eddie kinda ment was using tab for guitar transcriptions. back then if you got sheet music it was in standard notation. if you didn't read music you were shit out of luck. dive bombs, pinch harmonics etc don't translate well to standard music notation so they started to do tab. i rember getting a book called The Heavy Guitar Bible in 79 and being thrilled by this new tab thing. you really didn't see it before then (even though it has existed for many years).
I can remember being in my music appreciation class in college and discussing tab music for the the Japanese shamisen and a few string Arabic instruments. Dating back several, several centuries. It was actually pretty cool to see , even if you couldn't make heads or tails from it.
Quote by monwobobbo
i thinkk what eddie kinda ment was using tab for guitar transcriptions. back then if you got sheet music it was in standard notation.

If that is what he meant, I think the ambiguity was intentional. "Invent a whole new way to write music" is pretty different from "transfer the use of tab to guitar". I also question whether, chronology notwithstanding, EVH can really claim credit for said transference.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Quote by snorgge
I can remember being in my music appreciation class in college and discussing tab music for the the Japanese shamisen and a few string Arabic instruments. Dating back several, several centuries. It was actually pretty cool to see , even if you couldn't make heads or tails from it.

Shamisen tablature is actually pretty straight forward. The zheng tablature that I mentioned... now that is completely absurd.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I love EVH's playing, but pretty much anything he says you can take with a pinch of salt.

Yeah that was pretty much my first thought. Van Halen (the band) is notorious for the huge egos of EVH and Roth crashing into each other. Learning one of those giant ego's stretched the truth isn't that surprising.
Quote by monwobobbo
i thinkk what eddie kinda ment was using tab for guitar transcriptions. back then if you got sheet music it was in standard notation. if you didn't read music you were shit out of luck. dive bombs, pinch harmonics etc don't translate well to standard music notation so they started to do tab. i rember getting a book called The Heavy Guitar Bible in 79 and being thrilled by this new tab thing. you really didn't see it before then (even though it has existed for many years).

Got to be honest, I don't think those things translate well to tab either, at least certainly not much better than they would to standard notation if you did the same things. Really all the bits of tab that cover whammy bar and harmonics can be pretty much put in to standard notation verbatim and they're just as effective and descriptive. At least from what I've seen anyway.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.