Question for avid sweep pickers here. When learning the technique of sweeping, did the feeling of using a certain spot on your right palm to mute the strings not getting played feel like you was constantly sanding it off? And did it build a callus and become normal over time? Like, Was that a thing? I was practicing my sweeps and thought damn I'm gonna get a callus on that spot im muting with. Wondering if thats a normal thing for people who have sweeping down?
well, you're not grinding your palm along the strings to mute. you're not even resting it on the strings. you're just touching them. so you shouldn't be pressing enough for it to feel irritating at all.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
I have noticed the same indeed.
Don't know if it is a common thing, but i do indeed have some kind of callus on the side on my hand and i couldn't think of another thing where it could've come from.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it the release of pressure from your individual fingers on your fretting hand that mutes the notes in a sweep? Your picking hand/palm shouldn't but touching the strings at all???
Guitars:
Ashcustomworks: Phoenix RRV
ESP LTD: M200FM - With EMG 81/81
ESP LTD: M50 - With EMG HZ's
ESP LTD: EX50
Fender: Strat

Amps:
Peavey: Vypyr 60 Tube - 1x12
Marshall: AVT100 - 1x12 & 4x12
Quote by Stildawn
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it the release of pressure from your individual fingers on your fretting hand that mutes the notes in a sweep? Your picking hand/palm shouldn't but touching the strings at all???

It varies from person to person. The best sweep pickers I know can do it cleanly like that, but a lot of people also use kind of a rolling palm mute motion to help. I've only just recently started seriously practicing sweeping, and I'm trying to be able to do it all with the left hand, but for now I find the rolling palm mute technique very helpful in getting clean sweeps.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
If you aren't using the right hand to mute strings lower than the one you are currently playing in a sweep then the sweep is going to sound bad due to excess noise.

You can left hand mute some of the notes but you only have 4 fingers so will most likely have to (at some point in the sweep) move a finger from the lower string, the release of this will cause a some excess noise if you aren't using right hand muting.

Your right hand should be lightly resting on the strings, not actively pressing into them. If you think you're going to get a callus I'd guess you're pressing into the strings, or resting on them far too hard (if that makes sense).