I can get an ht-1r for as little as $160 with tax and shipping included, or $180 for an ht-1 metal combo.

I know they're not big, I know it wont sound big. I live in an apartment I just want it for practicing and recording. They're cheap. Are there any reasons I should avoid it?

I have guitar rig 5, and over all I prefer that over a modeling amp so I don't care for cheap peavy vypyrs or fender mustangs. I just want a small tube amp to practice at home. and if I want it to be louder maybe I can plug it into a small cab i'm thinking.

Ht-1 yay or nay?
what would be a pretty decent small tube amp for home use then?

Some people say ht amps are all valve, others say they aren't..I honestly don't know what's what then. All I know is that they get decent reviews..
Nah it doesn't have to be that price. Anything small for home use, I was also considering the ht-5 , just as long as it isn't like a 120 watt combo or something, I don't want to piss off my neighbors. btw you're a great guitarist I heard some of your clips
This is typically how we roll around here:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=31052894&postcount=2

That said - you won't get any Blackstar recommendations from me.

As far as the quality of the Vypyr tube amps, I thought you might find this interesting:

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Also - The Vypyr 60 may surprise you as it relates to quality.

This was AcousticMirror's comments on my gut shots.

Originally Posted by AcousticMirror
heh love the tube circuit board for the peavey vypyr.

it's 50 percent stuff that's better then whats in most boutique gear and 50 percent stuff that most builders advertise as the hot shit.

Originally Posted by AcousticMirror
ya if you start from the top down on this

small resistors are probably xicons
yellow tube caps are mallories which is what stateside builders use when they aren't using sozo or orange drops
big pink resistor is either a koa or a panasonic. Koa is more likely.
all the big electro caps are panasonic or IC or nichicon
there are snubber bypasses on all the major power supply nodes.
there's a bunch of small capacitors that are standard on the higher end japanese maxon pedals.
It's all USA or Japan for the most part.

that's a lot better then say like the recent dr z stuff which has been using a ton of samwha and lelon and other korean and chinese shit.

OP - thanks for checking my stuff.

Overall, for a small home amp that you'd enjoy for some time, I'd suggest Laney VC15 or Orange Tiny Terror (or Dark Terror if you need more gain).

This forum goes gaga for Vypur, can't say I'm with the majority on that.
Last edited by diabolical at May 19, 2015,
I kind of like the dsl5c they are pretty cheap used. I think they are all tube but I'm not sure
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by AcousticMirror
I kind of like the dsl5c they are pretty cheap used. I think they are all tube but I'm not sure

Yeah I've seen those as well . I've considered it too. some times guitar center has lots of amps on sale .

I tried buying a peavey xxx 60 watt from craigslist for $150 but it sold too quickly . I'm hoping I can catch some luck on a good deal like that some time again .

I play anyhing from rock to metal to joe satriani , I have a schecter with d activators , and an epiphone with a dimarzio mo joe ...

Any more suggestions ? So ht-5 is not really recommended ?
Quote by dspellman
thought:

<*Ack!*>

Didnt sound that bad to me. I record / mix a lot, and judging by the recorded tone he was getting, it would sound just about like anything else in a big mix. In a room with the amp, it obviously wont sound as big and dense as a high watt amp with depth and a 4x12 cab; but thats not what the TS is looking for. He doesnt want to disturb his neighbors.
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

Orange Dual Terror
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I have an HT-5r and first off, it sounds great at bedroom levels. But, it can get loud quickly. The adjustments are pretty sensitive. I also have to mention, after 3 months of low useage, my tubes are shot. Obviously defective, and it's not been easy trying to get in contact with Blackstar....
For a combo amp with an 8" speaker the HT-1 sounds damned good. To do better with an 8" combo you have to start looking at high-end boutique amps that cost much more. That said, it’s still a mediocre amp—8" combos are great for blues and rockabilly, they suck for most other stuff.

I’m using an HT-40 that sounds much better at low volumes and does much more—and I snagged it used for $380 by being patient and negotiating with a seller on Craigslist. Planning ahead and buying used is the way to go! If you can save up $350 you’ll have no trouble buying a used 2x12 and an Orange Micro Terror. Then when you have more money you can buy a nice head to run through that 2x12, and if you want to collect different heads to swap with your cabinet it costs less than collecting combos.
Quote by jpnyc
For a combo amp with an 8" speaker the HT-1 sounds damned good. To do better with an 8" combo you have to start looking at high-end boutique amps that cost much more. That said, it’s still a mediocre amp—8" combos are great for blues and rockabilly, they suck for most other stuff.

I’m using an HT-40 that sounds much better at low volumes and does much more—and I snagged it used for $380 by being patient and negotiating with a seller on Craigslist. Planning ahead and buying used is the way to go! If you can save up $350 you’ll have no trouble buying a used 2x12 and an Orange Micro Terror. Then when you have more money you can buy a nice head to run through that 2x12, and if you want to collect different heads to swap with your cabinet it costs less than collecting combos.

The Ht-1r is definitely temping at $160 shipped. But I think i'll pass on it for now. and you pretty much said what i've been telling myself. Just be patient. There's all kind of used deals showing up on craigslist all the time and at the Guitar Center used section. So for now i'll just save up a bit more and buy a slightly bigger amp/better setup. I've seen the Orange Mirco Terror for $85 on craigslist. and a couple of Ht-5's go for $200. So i'll definitely be looking out for whatever decent amp pops up because stuff on there goes really cheap for people looking to make quick cash.

I'm still going to be wondering how that HT-1mc metal combo($169 new ) sounds through a decent cab...
Quote by Cathbard
Orange Dual Terror

+3.1415 i love mine. it might blow your budget though.

i wouldn't wast my time on a 1 watt amp, that isn't even all tube. they are very mediocre and the 8" speaker probably doesn't do any good.

i would rather get a micro terror ($80 used), then get a 1x12" cab and call it a cheap rig. the microterror does nice with some OD's too.

no, its not all tube either but IMO its better overall.

but i am not a fan of blackstar which doesn't help anyway.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/