Hi, I've wanted a 7 string to bash about with, and figured I might as-well just stick an extra string on one of my knockoff strats. I know I've gotta stick another tuner in, get a mini 7 string bridge, carve a new nut, and get a new pickup, but will the fingerboard be wide enough for 7 strings?

Many thanks
I wouldn't recommend it to be honest. I mean it's a great idea to try something like that as that is how some of the more interesting guitars probably started off as.

BUT.. the only issue I'd have is string spacing, you're willing to cut a nut and put a new bridge on it but the fretboard would still be a concern of mine that it may feel or look weird. Not sure how meticulious you are but that would be my #1 concern as I've played schecters to ibanez and the fretboards unnoticeable wider on say musiciansfriend site but when you pick one up it makes sense. The other concern I have is maybe (i'm no luthier) there being too much tension on the neck adding the 7th string. I'd love to see what everyone else says. My personal opinion though the only good 7 strings in experience is ones with 27 inch scales. Not 25.5, this is personal preference though as I tuned lower than 7 string B.

on a good day I was buying 7 strings for 100$ - 200$ a week before unemployment cheques. How affordable Schecter, LTD and Agile are for example I would just grab one of those. But still an interesting idea for a project. Thankfully we can get necks and bodies off of either ebay or guitarfetish.com always has factory clearance sales. 20$ necks but the fretting is sloppy and needs work.. we pay for what we get but just some ideas. Like I said before though I'd love to see what others think.
Buy a super cheap budget Jackson/LTD/Schecter/WhateverThe****. You will only ruin this guitar.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by dragonzrmetal
Hi, I've wanted a 7 string to bash about with, and figured I might as-well just stick an extra string on one of my knockoff strats. I know I've gotta stick another tuner in, get a mini 7 string bridge, carve a new nut, and get a new pickup, but will the fingerboard be wide enough for 7 strings?

Many thanks

No.

And not worth the ****withage, given the pricing on brand new 7 string guitars with 25.5 and 27" scales at places like rondomusic.com:

http://www.rondomusic.com/7string.html
Uhhh definitely don't do that. Lol.
- Gibson SG 1961 Re-issue
- Fender Stratocaster
- Egnater Rebel-30
- Dunlop Crybaby Classic Wah Pedal
Everyone else seems to think it's a bad idea but I think if you've got the time and won't be devastated if it does ruin the guitar then you should go for it.

I personally don't think the extra tension will do any damage and as far as the spacing is concerned, it's just something that you'll need to get used to. Regarding the spacing, it would probably feel similar to playing a 12 string guitar; it'll look and feel a little awkward but it should be playable and will probably give you the insight you're after.
Quote by dragonzrmetal

Many thanks

no. experience and practicality say it's a poor idea but have at it if you must.

issues:
-string spacing
-pick up coverage
-bridge width
-scale length and string tension

even if you do pull this off you aren't really getting the 7 string experience.

fwiw, i bought a used schecter revenger 7 on layaway for $189 at GC. had it home within a month. it's a fun little beater and a stage second to my C7+
don't, it will not work the neck is not wide enough

I am turning a 12 string acoustic into a 7 string though. but the neck is wide enough to make it work.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Here's the issues you will face
- neck too skinny to accommodate all 7 strings comfortably
- bridge too wide to work anyway with stock neck
- pickup will sound less defined because strings would need to be between the poles to be evenly spaced (polepiece pickups only)

The only way to PROPERLY do this would be to replace the entire string path
- new wider neck
- additional tuning key for new neck for 7th string
- new pickups to accommodate the extra string
- new bridge for extra string
- body would need routed and drilled for all of the above

It'd be easier and more economical just to get cheap 7-string guitar from a pawn shop. I had a Stagemaster-7 for awhile that I paid $179 for, it was not that bad and would have made a good mod platform had I chosen to keep it.
My Current Mains
- 1996 Fender Jag-Stang with EMG Pickups
- 1998 Fender Jaguar with Cool Rails
- 1982 Hondo Paul Dean II (DiMarzio Super II X2)
- 2010 "Fender" Jazzmaster (Home built)
- 2013 Squier VM Bass VI (stock)
as i said earlier, the op would be better off buying a used beater 7.

lot of six stringers giving up on 7's and 8's making selection pretty plentiful if you know where to look.