I'm looking to buy my first amp head in the next few weeks, and I'd like the opinion of you guys to guide me since I have no experience with valve amps and amp heads; I've used solid state and modelling combos my whole life.

I'm looking at either the Peavey 5150 (or 6505, same amp), Peavey ValveKing ii 100w, and the Orange Thunder 30. All second hand.

Looking for pros and cons of each, which one is your preference, or if there are any alternatives I should look out for, less that £500 second hand.

I'm looking for a punchy metal sound, and play in small-medium sized venues, as well as bedroom practice.
Please give us some songs/bands/records for reference on the sound you wanna obtain, nowadays "punchy metal sound" might mean close to anything really.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
i would say to pass on the VK.

how important are cleans for you? do they have to be clean? or is a little bit of dirt OK at high volumes?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Spambot_2
Please give us some songs/bands/records for reference on the sound you wanna obtain, nowadays "punchy metal sound" might mean close to anything really.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am8sjZxeTy0
Ignoring the fact that this is actually played through a 5150, this is the style of sound I'm looking for, bright and powerful.

I play a variety of metal, punk and some cleaner sounds though, so I'm looking for something somewhat versatile.
Quote by MCmnbvgyuio
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am8sjZxeTy0
Ignoring the fact that this is actually played through a 5150, this is the style of sound I'm looking for, bright and powerful.

I play a variety of metal, punk and some cleaner sounds though, so I'm looking for something somewhat versatile.

if that is what you like, you want a 5150. it is a nich amp, and that demo is its niche.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I would say the 6505. For that kind of tone it blows the VK out of the water. Be warned though they are LOUD.

Unlike most I don't really have an issue with the cleans on the 6505. With nice pickups and some chorus/delay it can sound great.

What cab do you have?
Quote by Random3
I would say the 6505. For that kind of tone it blows the VK out of the water. Be warned though they are LOUD.

Unlike most I don't really have an issue with the cleans on the 6505. With nice pickups and some chorus/delay it can sound great.

What cab do you have?

Cheers that's great advice. I'm looking at getting a new cab anyway, anything you would recommend? I've heard they sound good with Orange cabs and I was thinking about getting one of the 212s anyway, or a second hand Marshall 412 of some kind, but no solid decision yet
Quote by MCmnbvgyuio
Cheers that's great advice. I'm looking at getting a new cab anyway, anything you would recommend? I've heard they sound good with Orange cabs and I was thinking about getting one of the 212s anyway, or a second hand Marshall 412 of some kind, but no solid decision yet

Highly recommend anything with V30s.

I got a used Marshall 1960AV for £180 so look around you can probably find some ridiculous deals like that.

If you want a 212 for cheap with V30s check out the Harley Benton G212 from Thomann.
That's the classic 5150 / 6505 sound with the typical accessories - Celestion V30 Speakers (that's what's in the Carvin Legacy cab), tubescreamer with volume maxed, drive 0, and a noise gate.

If that's the sound you want then that's what you need. If you only use the Lead channel for distortion (but there is a great sound on the crunch channel with the pre gain around 7) then you can swap some tubes and get a very passable clean sound out of the green channel with the delay and reverb added. The tube changes cripple the crunch sound I love so much though.

Anyway I feel you can get 2 great tones per setup out of the 5150 - awesome green crunch and awesome lead sound OR good clean sound and awesome lead sound - to keep things foot switchable. My good ideas of sound out of the 5150 are based on thrash and heavier btw.

Oh, and I wouldn't recommend you turn the volume up to 10 and sit that close to it either. . . . bad hearing loss. . . the volume is turned back down when he plays.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .