I'm looking at doing some home recordings for my band on my Mac, so I'm looking at getting an external hard drive (so that I don't use a load of space on my Mac).

Thinking about getting a 120GB external hard drive, would this be enough for storing a load of audio tracks on? I know people will say it depends on the number of songs etc, so at any one time I'd be looking at storing about 30-40 home recorded songs (using StudioOne) on it....

I have no idea what sort of file size would be needed for song recordings so any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Depends on the quality of the audio recording.

120GB will probably enough if you don't know much about that though.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
I didn't even know they made hard drives that small anymore.

I'd go for at least 1 TB, but maybe that's just me. HDDs are so cheap nowdays it's silly to go with a small one.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
I didn't even know they made hard drives that small anymore.

I'd go for at least 1 TB, but maybe that's just me. HDDs are so cheap nowdays it's silly to go with a small one.

Fair enough, didn't even realise they went that big!! :O

Recordings will generally be one drum track, 3 or 4 layerings of guitars, few vocal tracks, just the basics really recording at home!

What size do recording files tend to be?
Quote by jacko_17
Fair enough, didn't even realise they went that big!! :O

Recordings will generally be one drum track, 3 or 4 layerings of guitars, few vocal tracks, just the basics really recording at home!

What size do recording files tend to be?

Most of my projects are 4+ gigs each. 120GB wouldn't get me very far...
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Most of my projects are 4+ gigs each. 120GB wouldn't get me very far...

1 TB it is then!!! haha
the price difference is so small you might as well go 500Gb+. cheapest 120gb i can find is like $40 and most 1tb go for like $50-60.
(signature removed, please choose another)
Look at quality drives if you can, Lacie is pretty good, don't get Toshiba (had two fail on me) and get the bigger 3.5 SATA drives if you can at 7200rpm minimum, since you'd be storing audio you need it to spin as fast as it can. If you're not sure, post back what you're looking at.