So I run a very modest home studio, and I work with a few different artists on a regular basis, but they're all kind of outside of the genre of music I'd actually like to create and I'd like to start recording my stuff. Unfortunately I'm using a solid state amp that was my first ever amp and is only 20W Fender Mustang...all my money has gone towards recording really.

So the sound I'm trying to go for is something like Cage The Elephant - In One Ear's rhythm guitar. And I'd like to buy a tube amp as most of those that I know say that's the only way. I saw the suggestion that the Blackstar HT1 is good and all I'd need even at 1W, but I'm not sure if I could get the sound I wanted out of that, and I don't have many music shops around here and none have that amp so I can't test it. I am willing to spend more for a different amp (though I'd like to keep it under $500 and much lower if possible as I am just going into college and money is tight). But would the Blackstar work?

On the other hand I have a Schecter C-1 special that I bought when I was in a band doing heavier music, but that has fallen apart and is not what I'd like to do on my own..so is the guitar able to do it? It's has a switch between single and double coils so I can use that to get a bit closer to the Fender Mustang that Cage The Elephant uses but is it enough? Do I need different pickups? A different guitar? Because right now I have to work extremely hard to not get a super muddy sound let alone one like Cage The Elephant, so I'm not sure what I need. I'm sorry this is so long, but thank you if you actually read this.
Last edited by DannyJH at May 19, 2015,