looking for some insight about humbuckers for specific Jackson soloist guitars. am looking at the slx series and the sl2 pro series! wondering the difference between emg's,seymour duncans,and Duncan designed for those model guitars!? if your not familiar with those Jackson models!? then what are differance's between emg,seymours? for thrash metal,skate rock,punk,speed metal,etc..? best sounding for that type of playing(2 humbuck set-up)? thanks! don't want to cause a big thread fight!! just looking for some experienced people with humbuckers.thanks!
Duncan Designed pups are rubbish.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Duncan Designed pups are rubbish.

what are pups?
would you go with emg or regular duncs.?
pup = pickup.

Depends on what you want. EMG's and SD are very different. Both are pretty good at what they do though. I have guitars with both.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
pup = pickup.

Depends on what you want. EMG's and SD are very different. Both are pretty good at what they do though. I have guitars with both.

thanks! don't know if your familiar with thrash,skate rock,speed metal,punk? just looking for a crunchy/clear power riff sound. then if need being,wanting a clear solo sound. PENNYWISE,GUTTERMOUTH,NUCLEAR ASSAULT,FLOTSAM AND JETSOM,NOFX,SUICIDAL TENDENCIES,SUBHUMANS,GBH,BAD RELIGION,ETC..
EMG's are great shredder pups but I'd say SD's would suit you better, depending on which actual ones they are. Do you know what SD's they are?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
EMG's are great shredder pups but I'd say SD's would suit you better, depending on which actual ones they are. Do you know what SD's they are?

HEY! trying to put two and two together so to speak! LOL!
Iam looking at the slx series and the pro soloist sl2 series! as far as there bucks!----
SLXFMG-- has a basswood body with maple neck and emg--85(neck) 81(bridge)
PRO SOLOIST SL2---jbtb-4(bridge) sh-1 '59(neck) alder body,ebony neck(fingerboard)
whats better!?
Last edited by wildmann at May 19, 2015,
For you, I'd say the last one.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I'd go with the seymour duncans. But that would just be my choice. I know some people prefer Emg's for hard rock/ heavy metal. I've had them before on 2 guitars and they were good, but the clean sounds were not good obviously. Their output is too hot to play clean styles. Too bright and glassy sounding. The seymours would be better overall, more balance for different styles of music
The difference won't be a lot if you don't have an amp that makes you notice the actual tonal difference. If you're shredding through a spider IV, both pickups will sound about the same, the only obvious change would be the harmonics because of the hight output on EMG's.

Having guitars with Duncans and EMG's (passive and active), I would reccomend the Duncans for you. It's the same set that's on my kelly and it can handle a lot of things.
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
Last edited by ldnovelo at May 19, 2015,
that's actually true too. with low quality amps you won't notice a big difference at all. maybe some clarity differences but nothing too different
I'm gonna be the odd one here and recommend a DiMarzio Evolution, at least in the bridge. I have one in my Ibanez S2020XAV, and it absolutely destroys for my preferences (progressive metal). Great bite, great clarity, and hot enough, but not so much that it mucks. It's become my pickup of choice these days.

“We’re built of contradictions, all of us. It’s those opposing forces that give us strength, like an arch, each block pressing the next. Give me a man whose parts are all aligned in agreement and I’ll show you madness. We walk a narrow path, insanity to each side. A man without contradictions to balance him will soon veer off.”

silentfall.bandcamp.com
Honestly, buy the guitar that feels best in your hands. Pickups can be changed later.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Honestly, buy the guitar that feels best in your hands. Pickups can be changed later.

+1 best advice you will get.

i am more of a fan of dimarzios in general.

there are more than enough clips out on youtube comparing duncans to EMG's.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
The only guitar I own that still has the original pups is my custom made one whose pups I chose myself anyway.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
The only guitar I own that still has the original pups is my custom made one whose pups I chose myself anyway.

all of my gibsons have original pickups except one with dual EMG 81's, i have one Ibanez Prestige with original pickups (getting D-activators). my teles all have good pickups (one was a limited model with lace), one is an AVRI, and the other i put in twang kings. my strat has stock pickups but they are awesome. same with my wolfgangs, they have bitchin' pickups from the factory. i have a bunch more i am not thinking of.

i have good pickups in all the guitars that get regular play, except for the prestige (needing D-activators). i own a lot of guitars though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Cathbard

Most of my guitars have the original pickups, but there have been a few swaps.

From SD, there's a set of P-Rails in one guitar, a pair of Hot Rails (replacing "Duncan Design" fake hot rails) and a set of AHB Blackout prototypes (don't ask). I pulled a pair of Invaders from a guitar and they're sitting on a shelf.

There are no EMGs. There are a couple of DiMarzios -- one replaced a P90 in a '49 ES-175, and a Fast Track II is sitting in the neck pickup ring on an LP.

One guitar came stock with a pair of Kent Armstrong pickups, another came stock with Dan Armstrong pickups (probably designed by or with Bill Lawrence back in the day).

The L6S has Bill Lawrence-designed three-magnet pickups, my Flying V has Tom Andersons, there are Alembics and active Bartolinis (no, not in basses!) from the '70's, a bunch of Carvins (wide variety of those including some with an active preamp, and whoever calls them sterile has his cranium firmly anally implanted). There are Mike Reilander hand-wound P90's, Kinman Noiseless P90's, Gibson P90's (and "staple" pickups), Travis Bean pickups, and there are a couple of sets of Arcanes (and another set coming when I get the Trussart Steelphonic), some Taylor pickups (the T5), a Charlie Christian pickup or two, a couple of sets of Jim Tyler pickups (stock in the JTV's), and so on.

Oh, and one set of Ibanez INFs.

As a percentage, there are very few SDs or DiMarzios, no GFS, and not according to any overwhelming preference or plan. There's just so much other stuff out there.
All I'm using these days are Rio Grande actually.
I have different shit in other guitars. My custom is a shredder with EMG's. I'm not using them now, just using teles with Rio Grandes. Playing slide full time now.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
All I'm using these days are Rio Grande actually.
I have different shit in other guitars. My custom is a shredder with EMG's. I'm not using them now, just using teles with Rio Grandes. Playing slide full time now.

I really need tips on playing slide. I SO suck at it.
Learn in open G. I use open E now mostly now. G is less of a head ****, starting out.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification