I know this question comes up a lot, but I was hoping for some opinions for my specific situation.

I am looking to get my first good amp to play at home. Right now I have a Line 6 Spider 15 and it just doesn't do what I want it to. I went to GC to play (and ultimately buy) a Peavey 6505+ 112 Combo but now I am having second thoughts. The sound was exactly what I wanted and was everything I was hoping for. The problem, which I didn't realize until I saw it, is how big it is. Since, I will only be playing at home with no intention of gigging anytime in the near future, I am worried that it will be too loud for my purposes (I am totally aware that it can be played at lower volumes).

Can anyone recommend a close alternative? I was thinking about buying a small 5w head and a separate cab, but I have no idea what to look at. Obviously, I am after that tight, mid-high gain metal tone.
You didn't say how many watts it is, is it around 60? think there is a 6505 mini head. Since you like the sound of the 6505, maybe try the mini head version of it? I would do it, it might still be loud but not like your current one

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-6505--Mini-20W-Tube-Guitar-Amp-Head-111274742-i4175220.gc

its the + model also.
Last edited by CrippleBastards at May 19, 2015,
The specs look nice especially the 5watt and 1 watt settings

Peavey 6505+ Mini 20W Tube Guitar Amp Head Features:
Power: 20W (tube)
Tubes: two EL84 power tubes; three 12AX7/ECC83 preamp tubes
Two footswitchable channels with three-band EQ
Footswitchable crunch on Rhythm channel, footswitchable reverb, footswitchable buffered effects loop
Tube Status Indication (TSI) circuit
Impedance switch for 16 or 8 ohm cabinets
MSDI Output with XLR and ground lift switch
USB Output
Speaker defeat switch
Headphone output
Attenuator switch for 20-watt, 5-watt or 1-watt output power
The 6505+ is 60w. I think when I was there, I asked about a mini version, but I was told that they didn't have one. The Mini looks like something that would work, but I was hoping to keep the total cost around 500 or less. I don't own a cab, so I would need to buy one to use that.
just get the 60 watt it will be fine at lower volumes. get a TS with it and you will be fine. i am skeptical of the 20 watt heads. they have EL84's which are very different than 6L6's and i don't think it will have the balls like its bigger brothers. but i could be wrong.

also less wattage doesn't equal better at lower volume. for example my MKIV head into a mesa OS 4X12" sounds better at low volumes than most other amps i own.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
It has a volume knob on it. Just buy it and if you don't like it return it within 30 days.

You may want a tubescreamer very early on if not immediately. For your use go used or buy a Joyo Vintage Overdrive off Amazon for $30.

I'd also keep an eye out for a used MXR 10-band EQ.

You will not be able to turn it up past one.

If I had to start over with quiet only volume I'd probably do a POD HD500 and headphones so I could use the POD for effects on the amp rig.

My quiet volume solution today is Peavey ReValver on the computer and headphones which I think is fantastic.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
The 6505+ combo is very big and loud for a 112 but I found it to be acceptible for home use if you keep the volume down. If as you said it sounds exactly like what you want then I would go for it. The physical size shouldn't matter if you aren't going to move it for gigs etc.

You may want to look at the larger Vypyr amps as well depending on whether you want another modeller. It can emulate the 6505 sound but there's a difference between emulation and the real thing.

The 6505+ Mini may also be an option but I have no experience with it, as said before I am skeptical that it will have the same balls as the larger models.
Quote by metalmingee

If I had to start over with quiet only volume I'd probably do a POD HD500 and headphones so I could use the POD for effects on the amp rig.

I started out this way, with a Pod XT "bean" on the desk. It was small enough that you can stuff it into a gig bag pocket and practice nearly anywhere there's an outlet. When it came time for live use, I just ran it direct into a PA mixer, picked up a used ($90) foot pedal for it, put the bean itself on the little 45 degree stand adapter, used a wedge to hear myself and all was good.

These days I have a pair of KRK Rokit 8's and route keyboards and modeled guitar/bass through those. They're designed to be pretty much all there at about 6-8', so on those days when I *can* crank the volume a bit, I've got more than enough power, and when it's after hours or someone's watching TV, etc., the headphones come out.

The good news with a good set of over-ear or molded IEM-style headphones is that I can blast them if I want (tinnitus, anyone?) and all anyone else hears is a bit of *tink* from the strings.
Okay thanks for the advice guys. I'll be going back this weekend to make my decision. The HD500 would be cool to have, but I would really like an amp first. I already have POD Farm, which I've been using for recording and playing late at night.
The 6505 is its own, so you might not be able to get close with anything else.

You can look at other high gain amps and their smaller options in particular.

Orange Dark Terror
Mesa Mini Rectifier, 5:25 Express (need overdrive)
Carvin V3m
Laney VC15
Traynor YCB50 (might need overdrive and might be as big as the 6505)
Marshall DSL combos - I think they have a 5 watter now, haven't tried it, might need OD boost
ENGL - I think someone on here had a small 20 watt tube combo by them
Last edited by diabolical at May 20, 2015,
Quote by diabolical
The 6505 is its own, so you might not be able to get close with anything else.

You can look at other high gain amps and their smaller options in particular.

Orange Dark Terror
Mesa Mini Rectifier, 5:25 Express (need overdrive)
Carvin V3m
Laney VC15
Traynor YCB50 (might need overdrive and might be as big as the 6505)
Marshall DSL combos - I think they have a 5 watter now, haven't tried it, might need OD boost
ENGL - I think someone on here had a small 20 watt tube combo by them

Add the Laney Ironheart to this list as well.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .