Hi guys. Can anyone suggest any good practice songs like Paul's Technical Difficulties or Scarified? Maybe some a bit easier than the two I've mentioned?
"Songs you enjoy but can't play yet" is a good one.

It is really hard for us to recommend stuff for you to learn when we don't know which players you enjoy listening to. I could suggest a thousand different tunes, but if you don't like them there is no point in learning them.

What are some bands/guitar players you listen to aside from Paul Gilbert?
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Yeah you need to give us a bit more than that..

I don't even know what specific technique you want to isolate and practice? I'm assuming alternate picking if you like Paul Gilbert, but we really need some more info.
Also if you're going to say any technique then please don't. Asking for songs that practice a bunch of different techniques wont get you anywhere, I'll stick recommend a thousand different songs.
Quote by Cookievirus
Hi guys. Can anyone suggest any good practice songs like Paul's Technical Difficulties or Scarified? Maybe some a bit easier than the two I've mentioned?

Anything from Satriani will be infinitely easier. Crushing Day from Surfing with the Alien has a wicked solo that is pretty accessible and easy to learn, as it's pretty calculated. It's one of his only solos with a fast picking run - which is fairly slow compared to anything from Paul Gilbert and it's a good starter solo ( assuming you're already proficient on guitar).
Sorry about that guys that did come to mind after I press the post new thread button.

Well I've been trying to play technical difficulties but pretty dirty. I also like playing songs like wishful thinking and glassgow kiss by John petrucci ( but of course not the whole song ) and I get tired sometimes from trying and I feel like i need to try something else for now. I've been playing pantera and metallica songs for the past few years. I like soloing ( not that good ) and playing rock and metal songs.
Depending on whether or not you actually like the music these may help.

Some of the artists I have found most beneficial in terms of learning technique are Satriani, Dream Theater and Protest The Hero. If we are talking about phrasing then some of Steve Vai's material may help, one relatively easy one I would say is The Crying Machine but really it depends on what music you like.

If you list off some bands you like then I'm sure people here can name specific songs.
Quote by reverb66
Anything from Satriani will be infinitely easier. Crushing Day from Surfing with the Alien has a wicked solo that is pretty accessible and easy to learn, as it's pretty calculated. It's one of his only solos with a fast picking run - which is fairly slow compared to anything from Paul Gilbert and it's a good starter solo ( assuming you're already proficient on guitar).

wat. crushing day (the solo) is crazy difficult. there are far easier satriani songs than crushing day.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
wat. crushing day (the solo) is crazy difficult. there are far easier satriani songs than crushing day.

don't think i can use the word "easy" in the same sentence as "joe Satriani" with a straight face
Agreed. (In my defence, I said, "easier", not "easy" )

It always annoys me when people say Satriani is easy. It's not. If you think it is, you haven't got to the level yet to appreciate how difficult it actually is*.

*Or else are way better than I am.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

It always annoys me when people say Satriani is easy. It's not. If you think it is, you haven't got to the level yet to appreciate how difficult it actually is*.

gonna vote for way better player than me . or dillusional take your choice.
Santana has many instrumentals that would be fine. Excellent melody lines and lead parts.

Any song can be played as an instrumental. Weaving some improvisation around the melody line is what most of these guys do. Satriani is big on playing a melody, Vai too.

🎸
Quote by Cookievirus
Sorry about that guys that did come to mind after I press the post new thread button.

Well I've been trying to play technical difficulties but pretty dirty. I also like playing songs like wishful thinking and glassgow kiss by John petrucci ( but of course not the whole song ) and I get tired sometimes from trying and I feel like i need to try something else for now. I've been playing pantera and metallica songs for the past few years. I like soloing ( not that good ) and playing rock and metal songs.

Can you play any of the solos to metallica and pantera songs you've learned? Since you are saying yourself that you are not that good at soloing i think it might not be a good idea for you to tackle hard instrumental tunes like Technical Difficulties or Scarified. You will likely get very frustrated with the time it will take you to learn them at your current level, so building upon what you already have is probably a better bet.

What is the most challenging solo you can play up to speed currently?
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Quote by Dave_Mc

I'm using Paul Gilbert as the benchmark here. In comparison it's much easier - but yes, there are much easier songs from Satriani, any of the ballads for example.
Quote by Dave_Mc

Satriani is much easier than Paul Gilbert from a speed and picking standpoint - not from a note articulation standpoint though ( bends, vibrato etc.) . I've played enough Satriani songs to know that his songs are much more accessible than they appear. I'm using the word " easy" in relation to Gilbert and even people like Vai. Satriani primarily uses legato for speed, which is easier to handle than the picking Gilbert and Vai focus on. He's much less focused on technical prowess than the other instrumental players - he focuses more on melody and on the creative side of things, which I actually prefer, and which also makes his songs easier to learn.

I'm a fan, so don't interpret what I'm saying as a put down on him.
^ Yeah I know what you mean, the satriani pieces tend to have longer, less balls-to-the-wall melodic sections, whereas gilbert especially tends to be foot to the floor all the way. I'd still say the hard bits in the satriani songs (crushng day for example) are still really hard. I think satch said he didn't play crushing day live for the longest time because it was a pain to play (but don't quote me on that, I might be misremembering).

I also dunno if legato is easier than picking, it sort of depends on which you prefer.

Quote by monwobobbo
gonna vote for way better player than me . or dillusional take your choice.

yeah
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?