Page 1 of 3
http://www.sciencealert.com/this-is-the-official-flag-of-earth-that-we-ll-be-planting-on-mars

Just a heads up, no this is not official, just a fluff piece about some dude in sweden who designed it.

In case u hadn't heard NASA is planning a manned mission to mars for 2030
http://www.nasa.gov/content/nasas-journey-to-mars

It got me interested though, should a hypothetical mission to Mars, that is funded by the US, fly the US flag, or one representing the planet as a whole?

I mean, last time I checked, the world isn't some big united group of individuals. And theres no other life out there that we know about that would cause us to feel patriotic/Nationalistic for Earth.

But on the other hand, Armstrong did say "one giant leap for mankind", not "one giant leap for america"

Honestly I don't really care which flag is flown, but it does raise some questions about nationalism and it's relevance.

anyway, Would you care? Are flags stupid? Am I stupid? discuss.
yeah flags are dumb. instead of putting a flag there, they should put in a serious statue/fountain thing. that'd be great
superman is killing himself tonight
Just use the earth flag
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Facesitting is a violation of freedom of speech, because how can you speak when you have an ass covering your face?
The rest of the planet trying to piggyback on American achievement, what else is new.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
I sincerely doubt that anyone will be sent on a mission to mars in our lifetime, not until they somehow devise a way to bring the astronauts back
ggg1 ggg3

Quote by Baby Joel
yeah flags are dumb. instead of putting a flag there, they should put in a serious statue/fountain thing. that'd be great

Like this?
need to make a martian flag ofc
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Going to mars is so expensive that i doupt NASA will do it alone, theyll probably work together with the european space agency and china or something.
Also, it really shouldnt be hard to just make a flag with a picture of earth on it
________________________________ ________________________________
______________________________ ______________________________
^ I also just think that he designed a pretty shit flag in general, i mean, I used to draw circles like that using a compass back in primary school
The usual argument given by engineers and scientists regarding the value of space travel is something like: it's not the actual mission (which itself is an astronomical financial black hole), but the tech and innovation that is developed in the process which is of the greatest value.

Yes, it's silly. It's sort of like a grown-up skeet-shooting kinda thing for guys with post-PhD's and military types, BUT the fact that Apollo, for example, gave us such technologies as..

The hand-held vacuum cleaner, pretty sweet!
Baby food, because breasts are for Daddy, damnit!!
Intelligent underwear, because someone's gotta watch yer ass.

..and so on. http://kearth101.cbslocal.com/2011/07/21/list-stuff-we-use-everyday-that-was-invented-from-the-space-program/

Joking aside, actually read somewhere that the net gain for the US economy in terms of computers and the Internet as we know it is in the tens of billions. Now that stuff would probably have been developed anyway, or was in development stages of some kind, but the push to the moon did provide funding for a lot of that tech. We might be living in (effectively) the 1990's right now if it weren't for some of the more ambitious space missions.
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

I think we need to put up a kebab stand instead of a flag

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
If the effort is entirely a NASA endeavor, which I doubt, I think the American flag should be placed. If not, I don't really care.

The odds of a multinational endeavor are extremely high. Cassini, one of the most complex spacecraft and missions, involved 17 nations. This isn't the 50s-60s anymore.
My God, it's full of stars!
Don't put any flag up there. If it's an international mission, keep politics out of it. The amount of junk (and possibly bodies) they'll leave behind are a good enough sign of human presence.
A. NASA has been planning a Mars mission 15 years in the future for the last 50 years.

B. That flag looks like a butthole.
Quote by Not a Les Paul
NASA has been planning a Mars mission 15 years in the future for the last 50 years.

Exactly.

I say we plant Freedonia's flag

In all seriousness we'll probably plant an American flag with a plaque on something we leave behind saying "We came in peace for all of mankind" just like we did with the Apollo missions.

Quote by Not a Les Paul
A. NASA has been planning a Mars mission 15 years in the future for the last 50 years.

In no small part because A. every new administration has crazy new ideas and wants to scrap the old administration's ideas. Obama did it, Bush did it, Clinton did it, Bush did it, everyone does it, and B. they get virtually no money given the cost of actually building the damn things. They get around 0.4% of the annual budget. In 1969 when we landed on the moon it wasn't even 2.5%. There's a reasonable argument that allocating as little as one percent more to NASA would make it so they could actually finish a design before the next president scraps it.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Last edited by necrosis1193 at May 20, 2015,
Nah tbh that's lame as ****, it's a human achievement, not some garbage that serves no other purpose than to rub it in the rest of the world's face
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
They should put a fried chicken truck up there so when we colonize at least there will be a fried chicken truck.

Quote by Bob_Sacamano
Nah tbh that's lame as ****, it's a human achievement, not some garbage that serves no other purpose than to rub it in the rest of the world's face

It is a human achievement, but let's not go so far as to take the achievement from the individuals who directly made it possible. Great and successful acts of space exploration are broad testaments to the ability of humanity, but more so they are the accomplishments of relatively small groups of extremely talented, motivated, and driven individuals.
Quote by Dreadnought
It is a human achievement, but let's not go so far as to take the achievement from the individuals who directly made it possible. Great and successful acts of space exploration are broad testaments to the ability of humanity, but more so they are the accomplishments of relatively small groups of extremely talented, motivated, and driven individuals.

Those individuals have as much to do with a specific nation as anything else though. Like if I'm involved in a super awesome movie with 100 other people I'm not really going to attribute much to US. I understand it's tax funded but that honestly affects this very little, we as a nation don't even do as much as we should and when it becomes clearly and purely a symbol of national pride instead of everything else it takes away everything it was to begin with. Shouldn't what you're saying just mean to give the credit to NASA which is obvious? Plus our knowledge/technology is not in a vacuum, we all build off each other from across the globe as we basically always have.

Why is there a need to make it about one nation? What good does it accomplish? The Space Race is long gone, thank god
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
space is dumb

Quote by MinterMan22
space between thighs is dumb

damn dude nice
i don't know why i feel so dry
The point of the flag is we'll get the most green alien space pussy.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
I'm waiting for the virtual reality revolution. Virtual pussy!

Quote by Dreadnought
but more so they are the accomplishments of relatively small groups of extremely talented, motivated, and driven individuals.

I think this is one of the points where our ideologies very clearly part ways.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
Those individuals have as much to do with a specific nation as anything else though. Like if I'm involved in a super awesome movie with 100 other people I'm not really going to attribute much to US. I understand it's tax funded but that honestly affects this very little, we as a nation don't even do as much as we should and when it becomes clearly and purely a symbol of national pride instead of everything else it takes away everything it was to begin with. Shouldn't what you're saying just mean to give the credit to NASA which is obvious? Plus our knowledge/technology is not in a vacuum, we all build off each other from across the globe as we basically always have.

Why is there a need to make it about one nation? What good does it accomplish? The Space Race is long gone, thank god

I never mentioned national allegiance in the post you quoted.

However, national affiliation may have benefits to people in ways that you may not be able to see right now. National pride has historically fueled support and financing of our (and any other) government space agency.

Your "thank God the 'space race' is over comment confuses me though.
Quote by JamSessionFreak
I think this is one of the points where our ideologies very clearly part ways.

There is no ideology involved. Do you disagree that the individuals responsible for successful space missions fit those characteristics? That's a bit rude of you
Quote by Dreadnought
I never mentioned national allegiance in the post you quoted.

However, national affiliation may have benefits to people in ways that you may not be able to see right now. National pride has historically fueled support and financing of our (and any other) government space agency.

Your "thank God the 'space race' is over comment confuses me though.

Meaning such noble and huge ambitions gladly aren't fueled purely by that level of absurd pettiness anymore. Sure we can make it a ridiculous contest to get to Mars first, and that would probably speed it up, but to me at least, that being all it is really is makes it no longer worth it. And also the level of money put in there when it becomes nothing but a competition gets crazy and not worth it either.
Quote by Sliide90027

Quote by MusicLord16
Quote by Bubonic Chronic
We might be living in (effectively) the 1990's right now if it weren't for some of the more ambitious space missions.

I just saw this and now I hate those NASA dorks even more.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
^ it wasn't absurd pettiness. The scientists and engineers for the Soviet and American space organizations had respect for each other and would have preferred a more open flow of information between the two. The lack of open information was because of the secrecy that was a hallmark of the Soviet government. The competition also increased overall productivity.

Source: Read a book nerd
Quote by Dreadnought
There is no ideology involved. Do you disagree that the individuals responsible for successful space missions fit those characteristics? That's a bit rude of you

Ideology in the Marxist sense I mean. The underlying judgements of 'objective value' that make up our culture. The whole individualism vs collectivism thing.

I don't mean the part about their characteristics, I'm trying to say that it's interesting how you bring the hard work of individuals above or at least to the same level as the collective progress of humanity. A lot of the people over here would give the people who made it possible a pat on the back but ultimately their individual work would be irrelevant and forgotten in the face of the collective progress.

Not trying to argue against your post, I just think it's interesting how our societies put focus more or less focus on certain things.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
Quote by JamSessionFreak
Ideology in the Marxist sense I mean. The underlying judgements of 'objective value' that make up our culture. The whole individualism vs collectivism thing.

I don't mean the part about their characteristics, I'm trying to say that it's interesting how you bring the hard work of individuals above or at least to the same level as the collective progress of humanity. A lot of the people over here would give the people who made it possible a pat on the back but ultimately their individual work would be irrelevant and forgotten in the face of the collective progress.

What collective progress? The collective progress is the work completed by all of the involved individuals, their agencies, research.

Are you talking about everyday people like you?
Quote by Dreadnought
What collective progress? The collective progress is the work completed by all of the involved individuals, their agencies, research.

Are you talking about everyday people like you?

Collective progress is the scientific gains that come from it. The achievement of the individuals and companies would be noted, but the ultimate focus would be on the benefits to society, presuming that they're gonna do a lot of research up there.

Instead of saying 'You guys sure did a great job', people might say 'This will greately benefit the world' hardly paying attention to the people who made it possible. One focuses on the individuals, the other on the benefits to everyone. You are heroes vs you are credit to motherland.

Either way, this is changing rapidly as more and more post-Yugo generations are born. I'd say that by the time my generation has kids we'll be more or less the same.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
Such is life behind iron curtain

But that's just an extreme example to help me word out what i meant, obviously both cultures pay attention to both individual achievement and collective benefit. The thing is that both cultures are also basing their society on a few biased judgements of value, which is what i meant with ideology

In short, we're both just raised into our way of thinking, there's no right or wrong options

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
Quote by JamSessionFreak
Such is life behind iron curtain

But that's just an extreme example to help me word out what i meant, obviously both cultures pay attention to both individual achievement and collective benefit. The thing is that both cultures are also basing their society on a few biased judgements of value, which is what i meant with ideology

In short, we're both just raised into our way of thinking, there's no right or wrong options

minecraft breh
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Quote by Burgery
minecraft breh

no pc right now broseph :*(

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
Page 1 of 3