So I'm a mediocre guitarist and have been thinking about completing an album to play. I struggle learning the whole song and just do the common riffs. I'm through and through a classic metallica fan. What would you guys say would be easiest to learn? I can understand the rhythm parts pretty easily it's when Kirk hulks out and has pages of solos that I seem to get intimidated.. What are your thoughts for a good album to attempt?
Last edited by papathaddy at May 20, 2015,
Quote by papathaddy
I struggle learning the whole song and just do the common riffs.

So, you struggle to learn whole songs, but instead want to learn a whole album?
Ride the Lighnting has a lot of easier songs. Master of Puppets as well.
Instead of trying to learn a whole album, you should learn some of their easy songs first and master them. As you progress, try their harder songs.

After that you could consider learning a whole album. Every album has easy and difficult songs, if you say you are mediocre, then you aren't at a proper level to learn their advanced stuff. And if you can't yet learn a whole song, why do you want to learn an entire album?

Slow down and it will be easier for you. Select few of their easier songs and start from there. I wouldn't go and learn a whole album if I were you, I don't see any benefits from doing that honestly
Last edited by DanyFS at May 20, 2015,
Quote by ryanpeppers
black album

I second that. For a beginner, 'Nothing Else Matters' is the classic first Metallica song. You can play the intro, build confidence. The rest is fairly simple, too.

The solo is really well-written. Not hard at all, but melodically a very solid solo. I wish I could write something that juicy and stick-in-your-head melodic! It's awesome, and I bet you can play it.

You'll probably get bored with learning the whole album, but perhaps not?

Second to Black I'd say Kill 'em All, although it's a bit weirder given it has a lot of the Dave Mustaine influence in it still (Four Horsemen = Mechanix, lol)

Call of Ktulu is a different arrangement of the Hangar 18 chords, actually, too. More Dave bits that metallica put to use.

Dave's stuff is interesting and kinda "crawly" I find. Not so much staying in one position, but constantly moving your hand around like a spider more?

When you study classic Metallica you can tell, "Dave wrote this!" vs "This is James!"

James wears me out, man! My wrist can't take it after a while. That's all downpicking, too!

God, what a rhythm player.

Unmatched, imo

Don't be sad if you can't play all of James' riffs on any album. Few can.
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

Quote by vayne92
So, you struggle to learn whole songs, but instead want to learn a whole album?

first thing i thought when reading this. dude pick a few songs ans try those first. what you want to do sounds way to ambitious for the skills you seem to have.

perhaps start with something like FOr Whom The Bell Tolls.
Quote by monwobobbo
first thing i thought when reading this. dude pick a few songs ans try those first. what you want to do sounds way to ambitious for the skills you seem to have.

perhaps start with something like FOr Whom The Bell Tolls.

This. First Metallica song I learned when I was starting out. It was lots of fun to learn it back then.
Quote by papathaddy
So I'm a mediocre guitarist and have been thinking about completing an album to play. I struggle learning the whole song and just do the common riffs. I'm through and through a classic metallica fan. What would you guys say would be easiest to learn? I can understand the rhythm parts pretty easily it's when Kirk hulks out and has pages of solos that I seem to get intimidated.. What are your thoughts for a good album to attempt?

St. Anger has no guitar solos at all so maybe start there. It isn't a very good album though so as others have said, start with the black album then move to Kill them all.