So the tube on the top looks like the other two; that tube on the bottom (newest, just got it Monday) looks...meh. The amp turns on/works and what not, but I don't know what to make of it. If it lights up alright should it be fine?
Attachments:
IMG_0984.JPG
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
It looks like the getter is blown. does it actually light up as much as the other tube?
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
It doesn't light up as much as the others; return it, yes?
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Quote by Maidenheadsteve
It doesn't light up as much as the others; return it, yes?

yes. if you bought t in a pair then return both for another matched set.
Quote by monwobobbo
yes. if you bought t in a pair then return both for another matched set.

Ok; it was just a single to replace the one that broke last time during shipping
Could be that the vacuum has been broken. Do you see white and cloudy shit in it?
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Could be that the vacuum has been broken. Do you see white and cloudy shit in it?

I saw white particulates at the bottom
Quote by Maidenheadsteve
Ok; it was just a single to replace the one that broke last time during shipping

Are you saying you used mismatched power tubes?

One broke in shipping and you only replaced that broken power tube?
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by lemurflames
Are you saying you used mismatched power tubes?

One broke in shipping and you only replaced that broken power tube?

He bought a quad of tubes from Guitar Center.
1 was damaged in shipment evidently and the one they sent him has a bad getter?

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1676777

Is that correct Maindenheadsteve?

What a crock.

**** Guitar Center.

If I had known I would have steered you clear of Guitar Center. Don't buy tubes from them unless you have to.
I bought a matched quad set of tubes from Guitar Center once. They were all seemingly tubes and I got a phenomenal deal on them. Ended up paying like $86 for 4 Groove tubes due to a price match and a coupon. I was having some issues with my amp so I brought it in. Three of them ranged from 40ma-45ma, one ran at 76ma. Yeah, matched my ass.
Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe RI
Schecter C-1 Artist II
1978 Music Man HD130
+ a bunch of neat pedals

screamy emo band
So let me set the record straight: I bought 4 tubes (not a quad...yeah, whatever, I'll figure it out), one broke as in cracked (that would be UPS's doing, not GC) and then got a DOA replacement Monday (white bottom, speckled white particulates straight out of the box, didn't light up). That's probably JJ electronics' doing, I assume. Free replacement's, though it's costing me some serious time (2 weeks! a Steve's gotta jam, y'know?!)
Last edited by Maidenheadsteve at May 20, 2015,
It's still gonna be weird that you don't have a matched quad in there but it's all right. If it's gc you sure you can't just take it into gc for a replacement?
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by AcousticMirror
It's still gonna be weird that you don't have a matched quad in there but it's all right. If it's gc you sure you can't just take it into gc for a replacement?

I did each time; they replaced each one free.
Quote by nick.culliton
I bought a matched quad set of tubes from Guitar Center once. They were all seemingly tubes and I got a phenomenal deal on them. Ended up paying like $86 for 4 Groove tubes due to a price match and a coupon. I was having some issues with my amp so I brought it in. Three of them ranged from 40ma-45ma, one ran at 76ma. Yeah, matched my ass.

A matched quad of EL34s OR EL34Ls (I don't know what you're using, but I'm picking those as a benchmark) is $62 from Eurotubes (dot com), and they'll be JJ's. Groove Tubes is not a manufacturer, just a brand name, and their tubes are actually made by folks like JJ Electronic, Shuguang, SED, New Sensor, etc.

If you order a matched quad of EL34s or EL34Ls with the Groove Tubes label, you're actually getting JJs (as of fairly recently). A phenomenal deal of $86 with a price match and a coupon from Guitar Center will be overpaying by about $22.

Guitar Center does not have testing equipment to match tubes.
Guitar Center employees routinely toss returns in with three other tubes to make a "quad."
^His tubes look like 6L6 tubes to me. That would make sense for a Peavey XXX amp - which I believe is what he has.

+1 on Groove Tubes not being a manufacturer.

Quote by Maidenheadsteve
So let me set the record straight: I bought 4 tubes (not a quad...yeah, whatever, I'll figure it out), one broke as in cracked (that would be UPS's doing, not GC) and then got a DOA replacement Monday (white bottom, speckled white particulates straight out of the box, didn't light up). That's probably JJ electronics' doing, I assume. Free replacement's, though it's costing me some serious time (2 weeks! a Steve's gotta jam, y'know?!)

Quad = 4
The first cracked tube may not be UPS fault
The second crap tube is probably NOT JJ Electronics fault.

That is Groove Tubes fault. They are supposed to buy JJs in huge quantities and filter out the bad ones and test/rate the tubes they rebrand and sell. That one getting through is absolutely no excuse. That's either GT's fault or GC's fault. I won't deal with either for tubes. If it were me I would have demanded a new 'Quad' of tested and matched tubes from Guitar Center and that they be shipped overnight.

Places I would buy from:

www.dougstubes.com
www.thevalvequeen.com
www.tubedepot.com
www.eurotubes.com
Look over the tube for cracks in the glass. That's what it looks like to me; compromised vacuum.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Eurotubes gets my business for JJ's. Their site and customer service are awesome. Love getting boxes with hand written Sharpie.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .