Page 1 of 2
Hey dudes, Im looking at some more portable heads that can do high gain tones, budget is 1500$, St louis area, I play Hard rock, 80s thrash, modern heavy metal, and occasionally Classic rock, I was looking at the engl ironball, evh 50w iii, and the Mesa mark 5 25, but Im open to suggestions. Thanks.
Check out the Peavey 6505 MH once it's released in a few days. You don't mention cleans so it may be able to pull off the tones you're looking for but not via the footswitch - you would have to turn knobs.

For your budget I'd buy a Used Mesa Roadster head but it's full sized and 4 channels of goodness.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
From a weight size angel the 5153 is a full sized amp, if you want a small amp, 6505mh, Dark Terror, mini Rec, and V25 are the best bets, in my book.

PS i miss STL, haven't been in FUBAR or POPs in over a year.. moved to S. Carolina.
Guitars
Fender Strat-HH dominion/D-activator
Fender Strat-HH Distortion/jazz
Washburn HM-CL/Liquifier
Amp
Orange TH30
EVH 5150iii 50w
Cab
Marshall 1960tv
Fender Bandmaster 2x12
Handmade 2x12 based on Zilla Fatboy
Pedals
NS2>DIY TS808>TU2
Quote by Silver77
From a weight size angel the 5153 is a full sized amp, if you want a small amp, 6505mh, Dark Terror, mini Rec, and V25 are the best bets, in my book.

PS i miss STL, haven't been in FUBAR or POPs in over a year.. moved to S. Carolina.

Was just at Pops the other day
I'd recommend the Carvin V3M, because I try and do so every chance I get. 3 channels, 50-watt tube head. It's got a great clean channel, 2 high-gain drive channels, and all 3 channels are very flexible. $599 new by itself; $859 with a vertical Carvin 2x12 cab, and $999 with a Carvin 4x12 cab. In my opinion, one of the best amp options out there for a compact tube head, and at a damn good price.
Quote by tdiaz8492
I'd recommend the Carvin V3M, because I try and do so every chance I get. 3 channels, 50-watt tube head. It's got a great clean channel, 2 high-gain drive channels, and all 3 channels are very flexible. $599 new by itself; $859 with a vertical Carvin 2x12 cab, and $999 with a Carvin 4x12 cab. In my opinion, one of the best amp options out there for a compact tube head, and at a damn good price.

Yeah, those are nice amps. BTW - didn't we just have this thread???
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1677283
Randall RM50,Engl Fireball
Mesa Boogie Single Rectoverb 50 series 2 combo
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals
Look at Revolution amps and Krank Jr pro series
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by nico_9550
Carvin Legacy 3? It has 3 channels (clean and 2 distortions) and a boost

I was thinking the same , probably the best micro out there
Quote by telemetal
My vote would go to EVH 50W. Love those things.

^This. For what you wish to do, the EVH 5150III 50-watt head should be perfect. 35 lbs. is still pretty portable, and if you want tubes, then you are going to get some weight.

What kind of cabinet will you be playing it through?
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by FatalGear41
^This. For what you wish to do, the EVH 5150III 50-watt head should be perfect. 35 lbs. is still pretty portable, and if you want tubes, then you are going to get some weight.

What kind of cabinet will you be playing it through?

The guy I was thinking about buying it from has an evh 4x12 that hes throwing in with it, but if I got the mesa or the engl id just use my avatar 2x12 with v30s
Last edited by Bmullet00 at May 22, 2015,
I see nobody mentioned the Hughes & Kettner Grandmeister 36. 13 kilos, amazing all - round tones, and included stompbox quality effects. You should look at this, even new it's like $300 under your budget.
The above post is in terms of 'YMMV' and 'IMO', etc...

Quote by Offworld92
This debate is exhausting to read.
The guitar world is drowned in fairy dust.
We need to start at the very beginning. What is tone.
The Diamond Assassin is also worth looking at if you don't mind a single channel amp.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
The Diamond Assassin is also worth looking at if you don't mind a single channel amp.

Diamond makes a lot of great amplifiers, but they can be a royal pain to find them in stores. Evidently, they do not have a large distribution network. But yes: the Assassin might be good for what the TS wants to do.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Take a look at 20 Watt ($599) and 30 Watt ($799) brand new Egnater Rebel Mark II's. They've redesigned them higher gain plus a whole list of new features.

Variable Watts from 1 Watt to Max. 30 Watt model has separate controls for this on clean and crunch channel. Separate reverb for each channel too. On 30 Watt. DI XLR out on 30 Watt. Both 20 Watt and 30 Watt models have two EL84's AND two 6L6's and you can blend them together.
4 12AX7's for 20 Watt and 5 12AX7's for 30 Watt. Only two videos out right now for new Mark II. One for each model. Don't watch older videos. That is old Rebel.

Like mentioned - these are new and have very high gain capacity. Also can dial it back for classic tones and gain. I've got my eye on the 30 Watt model.

I just let my 13 year old know he is getting my new Peavey ValveKing II 20 Watt micro head and matching 112 cab. He's pretty excited. Thats another redesign. Much better than older ValveKing.

New VK goes pretty high gain too. Beautiful cleans on it too. Variable Watts by a switch. 20/5/1 Watt operation, USB out, Headphone out, Speaker defeat, DI XLR out, variable Class A to Class A/B operation and can blend between. Boost on clean and crunch channels. Amazing amp, but my son really loves it. He plays more clean and classic overdrive than I do, so I bought the AMT SH-50-4 Stonehead and Going to save for Rebel 30 Mark II for some variety between tube (Egnater) and solid state JFET (AMT Stonehead).

Other amps I considered were Randall Diavlo 20H, Laney IronHeart Studio 15 Watt, Engl Ironball, Hughes and Kettner Grandmeister 36 (my buddy has one of these and it completely rocks - nice cleans to very high gain and FX too). Also Peavey 6505+ Mini comes out soon. Joyo Mjolnir another great high gain contender. 20 Watt model has a ton of features too and independent eq's for gain or clean channels. Comes in about same price as 6505+ Mini or Randall Diavlo RD20 (around $499)

Best time to go Lunchbox high gain shopping. Awesome market now.
^ the randall and the Laney are worth looking at, but the rest of your suggestions are not that good for someone wanting a high-gain, small head. Especially when you look at what TS is considering and his budget
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Haha. Whatever man. how many have you tried on those? Considering Rebel Mark II is brand new, 6505+ not out yet. Your suggestions meant buying used and support from a water conditioning company, so not one to talk really. Diamond Assasisin 22 Watt is ok (played one at GC), but others have as good a sound and more features. Particularly Engl Ironball (also played at GC) and H&K Grandmeister 36. We'll see what July brings for new Krank amps.

I didn't care fo Blackstar HT's or Marshall DSL 15 too much when I tried them, but others have liked them well enough. It's pretty subjective, so get out and try some amps if able to.
Last edited by Vondragonnoggin at May 23, 2015,
I'd also second the Grandmeister or Tubemeister if you don't want/need all the effects built in. They really are nice sounding amps and can definitely pull of high gain. The power soak function makes it easy to adapt to any playing situation whether home or live and the midi capabilities is a great feature. I don't understand why more manufactures don't do this to be honest.
Satan. Grant this man the gift of revenge against his foes at the Food Network.
Quote by Vondragonnoggin
Haha. Whatever man. how many have you tried on those? Considering Rebel Mark II is brand new, 6505+ not out yet. Your suggestions meant buying used and support from a water conditioning company, so not one to talk really. Diamond Assasisin 22 Watt is ok (played one at GC), but others have as good a sound and more features. Particularly Engl Ironball (also played at GC) and H&K Grandmeister 36. We'll see what July brings for new Krank amps.

I didn't care fo Blackstar HT's or Marshall DSL 15 too much when I tried them, but others have liked them well enough. It's pretty subjective, so get out and try some amps if able to.

I missed the 6505+ mini, that would be worth checking out.

The rebel series is a decent hard-rock amp, but doesn't have the voicing for metal. Same goes for the VK mini

H&K amps are extremely underwhelming and the tubemeister is a fizzy mess (also it is a hybrid). The clean channel is decent, but that is about it.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at May 24, 2015,
Quote by Vondragonnoggin

really dude Rob should try more amps. he's one of the more knowledgable regulars on this board. you are new so i guess we can overlook this.

you suggested the Valveking which isn't a good choice for high gain. yes i've tried them and yes i own one. i don't care for the blackstar or the DSL15 all that much either.

we try our best to give recommendations that will work for the OP within their budget. most will mention that they have not actually tried out an given piece of gear. it's still worth bringing to the attention of the poster as an option.
Out of curiously Rob would you consider the 6505 mini a hybrid then? It's supposed to deliver high gain but it does have less preamp tubes than the H&K which if I'm not mistaken, is where your difference in gain is derived.

As for the fizziness, I did find that with the Tubemeister 18 to a degree but I haven't noticed that since I upgraded to the 36. That being said, I did also manage to score the anniversary edition with NOS tubes in it also.
Satan. Grant this man the gift of revenge against his foes at the Food Network.
Quote by KillRoy Ver 3.0
Out of curiously Rob would you consider the 6505 mini a hybrid then? It's supposed to deliver high gain but it does have less preamp tubes than the H&K which if I'm not mistaken, is where your difference in gain is derived.

As for the fizziness, I did find that with the Tubemeister 18 to a degree but I haven't noticed that since I upgraded to the 36. That being said, I did also manage to score the anniversary edition with NOS tubes in it also.

looks like it does use clipping diodes with the push button functions. these don't have to be in the signal path (like the boost function on VK). only 3 preamp tubes
The tubemeisters have tons of clipping and diode and opamp garbage going on.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by KillRoy Ver 3.0

Would have to see a schematic, but it is deff not the same preamp as the 6505+ head or 1x12 combo
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by AcousticMirror
The tubemeisters have tons of clipping and diode and opamp garbage going on.

when emailed at the start, didn't they swear blind that it was all-tube?

they were nearly more brazen than blackstar. at least blackstar had the decency to try to sort of weasel out of it with made-up (IMO) terms like "pre-gain" etc.. H&K went one further and just brazenly flat-out lied.

IIRC, allegedly, etc. etc.

EDIT: yeah.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=27747196&postcount=12

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at May 24, 2015,
Quote by Robbgnarly

The rebel series is a decent hard-rock amp, but doesn't have the voicing for metal. Same goes for the VK mini

H&K amps are extremely underwhelming and the tubemeister is a fizzy mess (also it is a hybrid). The clean channel is decent, but that is about it.

You don't read the posts too well. I just stated specs and explained its the Rebel Mark II. Redesigned. Sheesh.
Quote by Vondragonnoggin
You don't read the posts too well. I just stated specs and explained its the Rebel Mark II. Redesigned. Sheesh.

Unless they completely changed the preamp circuit it is not a metal amp, it is a hard-rock amp period. They have changed the circuit just a little, but nothing to make it a completely different voiced amp than the original. It has some tweeks to the rebel circuit.

And yeah I read pretty good, but when I see a bunch of amps recommended that don't really fit the bill, I just skim. Sorry your post fell into this category when I was reading it
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
^ no ones attacking you bud just pointing out the op wants a metal head is all and many guys here been making great suggestions for years Rob being among them.
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals
^I suck I know that
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by monwobobbo

really dude Rob should try more amps. he's one of the more knowledgable regulars on this board. you are new so i guess we can overlook this.

you suggested the Valveking which isn't a good choice for high gain. yes i've tried them and yes i own one. i don't care for the blackstar or the DSL15 all that much either.

we try our best to give recommendations that will work for the OP within their budget. most will mention that they have not actually tried out an given piece of gear. it's still worth bringing to the attention of the poster as an option.

I guess you don't read too well either because I didn't suggest the VK. I said I picked one up for myself and it has been redesigned as well(referring to the complete high gain redesign of the Rebel 20 and 30). I suggested the rest of the high gain amps. You also just contradicted yourself defending Rob for bashing my suggestions which were all within budget and all high gain and explaining you try to be tolerant. Nice. I'm not gonna win a popularity contest here and dont care about that much either.

My buddy's H&K GM isn't fizzy. I don't care who the hell Rob thinks he is or you think you are or if I'm new to a forum for guitars even though playing guitar for 35 years and owned Marshall's, Fender's, Laney AOR's, Carvin's, Peavey Triumph Ultras etc

If he cant read then I'm not gonna be impressed by his amp knowledge.

Good luck to the OP - really owe it to yourself to check out redesigned high gain rebels as well as the others and try an H&K before listening to regurgitated bad reviews of fizzy that came into existence with first tubemeisters.
Yeah always giving me the ass advice when I asked.
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals
I'm out if you guys can't fit high gain into your ears because it might have a tweed cover. Better look metal with cross metal grills or it aint right...

Hahaha. Too bad to be roped into that mentality. I'll be busy playing my new AMT stonehead coming wednesday anyway.

Cheers
Quote by Robbgnarly

If you can't play metal with a VK, I can't help you. I have no problems dialing one in for Metal though. It's not tha amp....
Ugh ok my mesa,Randall or xxx don't fall into "those catergorys". And being a ass is no way to make friends on any forum. You gave improper amp advice as to what the op wants and got called on it wipe the tears away and move on.
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals
Page 1 of 2