So playing my Engl for a little bit this morning. Noticed the volume pots don't really do a fat lot.. (I near enough maxed it out on both and it wasn't really that loud at all)
Started to get fizzy too so I'm assuming the power tubes are going. No lights have come on yet though.

Just wondering what the best (not costing an arm and a leg cause im skint) 6l6gc's I should get.

Might replace the pre amp tubes too if i can afford it.

UK websites too are a big plus.
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
UK, not too sure. Tubedepot is pretty decent, but they're USA.

JJ's are fine.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
I think they're using TAD tubes as stock nowadays. You can try those from tubeampdoctor.com. I've read of lots of folks putting JJ's in them too.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Can only think of Watford Valves in the UK, their might be more. And Eurotubes but they aren't based in Uk, but they deliver to Uk. Someone else might come up with Uk based companies.
Gear

B.C Rich Wave Signature
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Schecter BlackJack ATX FR
Schecter Omen 7

Bugera 6262 212
Blackstar ID15 TVP
Quote by rickster100
Can only think of Watford Valves in the UK, their might be more. And Eurotubes but they aren't based in Uk, but they deliver to Uk. Someone else might come up with Uk based companies.

I live right near watford and never knew there was a good valve placec there good to know!
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
Looks like a new set of JJ's it is then.

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
Sorry to bump this a bit but ive ordered a matched quad set of power tubes for my powerball yesterday,
Is it just a straight swap out then in or should i take it to a tech to be done?

Im unsure if it'll need biasing or not

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
Quote by Carrot
Sorry to bump this a bit but ive ordered a matched quad set of power tubes for my powerball yesterday,
Is it just a straight swap out then in or should i take it to a tech to be done?

Im unsure if it'll need biasing or not

pull the old ones straight out and plug the new ones straight in.

Your amp may need to be biased, but I'm not real familiar with Engl amps. biasing is pretty easy if you have a multi meter. a bias probe is worth the investment and makes biasing really easy. they typically run $20 new here in the states
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
pull the old ones straight out and plug the new ones straight in.

Your amp may need to be biased, but I'm not real familiar with Engl amps. biasing is pretty easy if you have a multi meter. a bias probe is worth the investment and makes biasing really easy. they typically run $20 new here in the states

I think the bias pot is incredibly hard to access (inside the chassis on the board), so I dont know if biasing will be an option. But you should be able to do a straight swap and it should resolve your issues. I have jjs in mine and they seem to work just fine
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

Since you replaced 6L6 with same type of tubes you dont NEED to bias, especially if the power section is biased cold like usual in modern high gain amps. The amp will work fine with straight swap.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Same thing happened with my powerball 2. Mine was a preamp tube, however.
Gear:
Dean RC7X (Bareknuckle Coldsweat pickups)
Ibanez Rg2570Z (Bareknuckle Juggernaughts)
Schecter KM-6
Schecter Hellraiser Hybrid 7 String
Engl Powerball II
Orange PPC412
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Watterboy
I think the bias pot is incredibly hard to access (inside the chassis on the board), so I dont know if biasing will be an option. But you should be able to do a straight swap and it should resolve your issues. I have jjs in mine and they seem to work just fine

Not that hard to get to, just remove the chassis from the head shell. It is only a few screws (on any amp).
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Not that hard to get to, just remove the chassis from the head shell. It is only a few screws (on any amp).

Its not sticking through the top of the chassis though. Its on the main board and the board is mounted upsidedown. From what i can tell, its a real big pain in the ass getting to the bias pot for a minimal result. You would have to totally pull the board out of the chassis.
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss

Quote by wannabestoner69

Quote by Watterboy
Its not sticking through the top of the chassis though. Its on the main board and the board is mounted upsidedown. From what i can tell, its a real big pain in the ass getting to the bias pot for a minimal result. You would have to totally pull the board out of the chassis.

Most amps I have ever owned have the bias pot or pots inside on the PCB. all you do is remove the chassis and turn it upside down (it will rest on the OT and the PT) and then the bias pot is starring you right in the face

It is actually very easy
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Most amps I have ever owned have the bias pot or pots inside on the PCB. all you do is remove the chassis and turn it upside down (it will rest on the OT and the PT) and then the bias pot is starring you right in the face

It is actually very easy

what im trying to tell you is that if you do that, you will be looking at the bottom of the pcb. Engl mounts it upsidedown. The bias pot is INSIDE. You have to take the whole pcb out to get to it. I know the bias pot is more accessible on most amps, but not this one
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss

Quote by wannabestoner69

Quote by Watterboy
what im trying to tell you is that if you do that, you will be looking at the bottom of the pcb. Engl mounts it upsidedown. The bias pot is INSIDE. You have to take the whole pcb out to get to it. I know the bias pot is more accessible on most amps, but not this one

sorry, I misunderstood. I said I had no experience with Engl, but that is just a stupid place to put a bias pot

Then yeah, I'd just plug and play if I was TS
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Sep 7, 2015,
TAD tubes are chinese-made and tested in Germany.

Testing can make a big difference.
Bob at Eurotube, for example sells JJ's, but has a lot more sophisticated testing gear than most JJ vendors, and I think the tubes that you actually get from these vendors are better for it.

I can't offer anything regarding the quality of testing at TAD, however.
Sooo just swap the tubes over and carry on as normal? Assuming they work. If not then im gonna have to swap the pre amp tubes too.

Might as well take it to a tech if i have to replace the pre amp tubes too..

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
Yes. Plug and play.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
okay so ive swapped them over and its still the same. its lacking volume, like i have it half way up and it sounds like its on 2. tried my mates Ironheart and when thats on two its loud as hell.

Short of taking it to a tech, im not sure what to do..

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
Quote by Carrot
okay so ive swapped them over and its still the same. its lacking volume, like i have it half way up and it sounds like its on 2. tried my mates Ironheart and when thats on two its loud as hell.

Short of taking it to a tech, im not sure what to do..

Did you swap any of the preamp tubes?

is the volume drop on all the channels or on only 1 channel?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Did you swap any of the preamp tubes?

is the volume drop on all the channels or on only 1 channel?

No pre amp tubes, but my mates bringing some over to play with soon.
Its not really a volume drop when channel switching, just an all round loss of "Balls" to the amp.

Watching demo's of it online and im like "why doesnt mine sound like that anymore"

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
Anyone?

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
Start your chain fresh. Go guitar direct to amplifier and use a few different guitars and cables to be thorough. Turn off the noisegate and fx loop on the amp. Double check your speaker cable and verify that your speaker cab is working correctly (is it possible youve blown a speaker?). Have your friend bring his Laney over and test the cab and speaker cable that way.

Check/swap your preamp tubes- you could try replacing one at a time or just replace them all. Make sure all tubes are seated properly
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss

Quote by wannabestoner69

Quote by Carrot
Anyone?

swap your preamp tubes, if that doesn't work (also do what waterboy suggested) then time for a tech to look it over
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Watterboy
Start your chain fresh. Go guitar direct to amplifier and use a few different guitars and cables to be thorough. Turn off the noisegate and fx loop on the amp. Double check your speaker cable and verify that your speaker cab is working correctly (is it possible youve blown a speaker?). Have your friend bring his Laney over and test the cab and speaker cable that way.

Check/swap your preamp tubes- you could try replacing one at a time or just replace them all. Make sure all tubes are seated properly

Ive got the laney sat on top of my engl, so thats not a problem aha. Ive tried all that (apart from the pre amp tubes, havent had chance yet) But my mates gonna be bringing some pre amp tubes over to see if thats the problem. If it is then ive gotta buy a new set >.<

SAying that this amp still has stock tubes in So im guessing its due a change.

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals