I am beginning to learn songs and I find it it so hard to play it up to speed. At 35-70% of the actual speed I can play with perfect articulation and technique but above that I lose my shape. What are the most important things I should do in order to put some speed behind my playing. Currently learning stuff like "Whole Lotta Love" and "Black Sabbath".
The best advice I can give, regardless of the complexity of the piece, is to do exactly what you are already doing. If you can play something at 70% speed perfectly, as you said, then start increasing the speed by smaller increments. The amount of time it takes you to speed something up from 30%-40% is going to be MUCH shorter than to go from 70%-80%. Try going up by increments of 5% and stay at that speed until you nail it. Rinse and repeat.
Speed comes with time, practice, and patience. Keep at it and keep learning new songs.

Another thing you can do is put the song down. I have noticed that once I've committed a song or a solo to memory (at a slower speed) if I put it down for a few days and revisit it a few days later, it's stronger, and more accurate.

🎸
Quote by Random3
The best advice I can give, regardless of the complexity of the piece, is to do exactly what you are already doing. If you can play something at 70% speed perfectly, as you said, then start increasing the speed by smaller increments. The amount of time it takes you to speed something up from 30%-40% is going to be MUCH shorter than to go from 70%-80%. Try going up by increments of 5% and stay at that speed until you nail it. Rinse and repeat.

Thanks, it's just sometimes very discouraging to see speed not increasing for over a week
Quote by 40xxx04
Thanks, it's just sometimes very discouraging to see speed not increasing for over a week

You will plateau every now and then, especially if you are learning something harder than what you are used to.

Where it gets annoying is if you plateau when learning something that really should be within your ability to play
Quote by Random3
You will plateau every now and then, especially if you are learning something harder than what you are used to.

Where it gets annoying is if you plateau when learning something that really should be within your ability to play

LOL, ya that's the worst.
Alternating with the pick and galloping helped me.
Dean MAB1. Epiphone Annihilation V. EVH 5150III. Orange PPC112. Earthquaker devices - The Warden, Arrows, Acapulco Gold, Levitation, Night Wire. TS9, DD3, GE7, NS2, LS2, Polytune mini, Small Stone. SM57. Focusrite. LINUX!