So, I got this new job for a software company, and the work environment is such that it would be cool to bring in a guitar for my workspace, to diddle on while I wait for stuff to build. I need a little practice amp for the space. It doesn't need to be that special, I have great amps at home. I don't gig, or really do much more than entertain myself. I think I'd like to play with some modeling features, as my amps don't have any of that.

The critical features I need are small stature, a headphone out jack that suppresses the speaker, and moderately decent low volume sound. It needs to be cheap enough that if someone spills coffee on it I'm not going to cry. I'd like it to have some different modeling sounds, but am not expecting recording quality tones.

I am a little bewildered by the choices in the guitar center catalog. The Vox VT40 looked interesting. I have heard good things about Roland, and Crate. The Yamaha THR10 looked intersting. So many pretty shiny toys to play with...

Please, denizens of UG, help me winnow the choices down to two or three to try this weekend. I'd prefer to buy new, at Guitar Center. Price isn't really a constraint, though I'd have to understand why I need to pay more than 300US.
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Epiphone Sheraton II, Seymour Duncan Jazz and '59.
ESP Horizon NT II
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Mesa 5:50 Express
Egnator Rebel 30
Hughes and Kettner Tubemeister 18
Last edited by Silver Hilton at May 21, 2015,
Buy a modeler and headphones.

Modeler can be software or hardware (PC, iOS etc.)

Just because you have a few minutes downtime and don't need to concentrate doesn't mean everyone else does.

If you MUST have a noisemaker in the office, a small powered wedge to connect to said modeler.

I use an iPad with whatever flavor-of-the-month modeling software I'm screwing with (Garageband, Amplitube, Ampkit+, JamUp etc.) and either an iRig or Ampkit interface for my occasional office guitar wankery.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at May 21, 2015,
Quote by Arby911
Buy a modeler and headphones.

Sounds good, recommendations?
ESP Horizon NT II
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Egnator Rebel 30
Quote by Silver Hilton

A few as above or if you want a standalone, get a Line 6 HD500 or similar.

If you've got an iPad/iPhone, that and an interface are really the simplest way to accomplish the task IMO. Cheap too!
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
A few as above or if you want a standalone, get a Line 6 HD500 or similar.

If you've got an iPad/iPhone, that and an interface are really the simplest way to accomplish the task IMO. Cheap too!

No half eaten fruit devices in my kit, alas. Looked at the PODHD stuff yesterday, it's a bit pricey for the purpose, an amp would be cheaper. Just saw the pocket modeler, that may just the shit.
ESP Horizon NT II
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Egnator Rebel 30
Came across the Behringer V AMP -3, is it any good?
ESP Horizon NT II
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Egnator Rebel 30
Quote by Silver Hilton
No half eaten fruit devices in my kit, alas. Looked at the PODHD stuff yesterday, it's a bit pricey for the purpose, an amp would be cheaper. Just saw the pocket modeler, that may just the shit.

This one?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/line-6-pocket-pod-guitar-multi-effects-processor

Yeah, that will work fine and they are pretty solid pieces of kit.

You can accomplish the same thing on a PC, but it's more cumbersome and might not be ideal for an office setting.

Quote by Silver Hilton
Came across the Behringer V AMP -3, is it any good?

No.

As an aside, if you REALLY want an amp, this one is a good solid unit at a great price.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/jet-city-amplification-jca2212c-20w-1x12-tube-guitar-combo-amp/h76847

EDIT: This is a good unit at a good price for what you want to accomplish, and the expression pedal is a handy bonus.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/digitech-rp500-guitar-multi-effects-switching-system-usb-recording-interface
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at May 21, 2015,
Here's what I'm using at work:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/G1Xon

Thru an older version of this:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Mini5BK

(You can hook up headphones into either, and you can plug in 2 guitars and a vocal mic into my Vox DA5. Both also have input jacks so you can play along with a computer or Mp3 player).
Last edited by SpeedSterHR at May 21, 2015,
What about a Vox Amplug going into headphones or a line in on your computer? $30 - $50.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Peavey Vypyr. Cheap, great tone at low volumes.
Amps+ FX:
6505+ Head
Line 6 DT50 2x12
Line 6 Pod HD500
Maxon OD808
MXR 10 Band EQ
Guitars
Ibanez SZR720
Schecter ATX C-7 Blackjack
Ibanez RGA7
Ovation Celebrity
Agile Dauntless(SD Pups)
Fender Modern Player Tele+
I personally like the THR10(C). The simplicity is great for just messing around. It's just a few knobs. I prefer it over a regular modelling pedal.

How do you like the Express? I'm planning on getting a Express Plus soon.
You should get one of those Marshall Half Stack Mini-Fridges and lean your guitar up against it. That will turn some heads!
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by Silver Hilton

The Pod HD "bean" is the least expensive. Used is a good way to go and they're always on EvilBay or Craigs. Small, unobtrusive.

I'd avoid the Pocket Pod, honestly. If you're going that direction, there are better (I have Korg Pandoras -- the 5 and the Mini) in that size range for the price.
Quote by Silver Hilton

Line 6 PODs, Korg Pandoras, Boss Micro BR, Tascam GT-R1, etc.

All small enough to fit in a guitar case, have tuners, metronomes, and other nice practice features. Most also feature some kind of computer interface and/or innate recording capacity.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by Silver Hilton
So, I got this new job for a software company, and the work environment is such that it would be cool to bring in a guitar for my workspace, to diddle on while I wait for stuff to build. I need a little practice amp for the space.

I've seen Google employees do some very creative things to noisy bits of gear that they deemed too distracting. I'd advise against the amp idea.

And yes, small drones and RC devices, air-swimming fish and all the rest float around those places. Occasionally a trubechet will deliver candy. But don't let the permissive atmosphere get you to thinking you can distract folks when they really need to work.

used pod 2.0, cheap plentiful gets the job done
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
How the hell will the Floating Shark get any work done when it will be distracted by all those tasty cubicle trolls?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dspellman
I've seen Google employees do some very creative things to noisy bits of gear that they deemed too distracting. I'd advise against the amp idea.

Your thought are welcomed, but it'll be cool. That's why I wanted the headphone jack, for the times when there are people around. But the hours I work, there's a lot of time I'm just there by myself.
ESP Horizon NT II
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Egnator Rebel 30
I've used two amps in my office (I'm the only one in it, so I have some leeway). The current one is an Acoustic G35FX 1X12 (around $100 new). What's nice is that it has both a headphone out and an mp3 in. This works really well. The Acoustic replaced a Vox VT15 that I picked up used on CL for $90. That had a really good sound at low volumes and the modeling was pretty decent for an 8" speaker. It's only drawback was the lack of an mp3 input.
one of those fender eric clapton signature vibro-champs would be kool. 5watts. Handwired.

$1,000 though so you'd have to be ballin' out pretty hard
Godin Passion RG-3
Gibson SG Standard
Egnater Tourmaster 4100
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Marshall JVM215C
JHS Sweet Tea V2
Guyatone WRM5
TC Flashback Delay
If you do want something with a speaker, the Yamaha THR series is very nice and does sound top notch. With the three different models you should be able to find one that covers off your playing style and if you do get a bit of inspiration at work, it can also double as a recording interface and monitor system for you as well.
Satan. Grant this man the gift of revenge against his foes at the Food Network.