i just listened to my first flac and it is the greatest quality thing i have ever heard. the reverbs and everything sound extremely glorious, i used to think a 128kbps mp3 sounded the same as a 256, 320 mp3 or a flac but now i realize that it is the best digital sound ever crafted
Quote by smokingcracktonight
but now i realize that it is the best digital sound ever crafted
Try DSD.

Tho yeah mp3's sound bad and your life will be better form now on
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Can somebody explain the difference in the formats to me? Are flacs larger filesize or something? Can you write them to a cd-r ect just like mp3? Any draw backs to flac? I am truly clueless
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

Quote by Watterboy
Can somebody explain the difference in the formats to me? Are flacs larger filesize or something? Can you write them to a cd-r ect just like mp3? Any draw backs to flac? I am truly clueless

Yes, larger file size.
Yes, you can write them to a CD with the right software.
The aforementioned filesize and lack of mainstream compatibility (but iOS devices have ALAC, which is the same thing)

It's basically the same thing as WAV.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Flac is a lossless coded, meaning flac files will sound exactly the same as uncompressed (wav or aif) audio and could be used to reconstruct the exact original file from which they were created.

mp3 is a lossy codec, meaning it loses some information when compressing to mp3, and the result will be some distortion, which is negligible to most people but definitely noticeable to others.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
There's also ogg vorbis which seems to be more readily available in software, I know a few DAWs I used had it.
I upgraded my tuner and after throwing away my temp. cheapie and going back to something more quality I noticed a huge drop in fidelity when using MP3s, even at 320kbps, so I'm back to buying CDs and records. Got the new AC/DC on vinyl and it sounds fantastic. Haven't bought any new vinyl in a long time so I was curios. The thickness of the vinyl disc is twice what my older records are, and this probably allowed deeper cuts for more bass. Anyhow, what I was trying to say that depending on the system, MP3 can sound really bad. In the gym on ear buds I doubt there'll be much difference.
Last edited by diabolical at May 22, 2015,
Quote by Spambot_2
Flac is a lossless coded, meaning flac files will sound exactly the same as uncompressed (wav or aif) audio and could be used to reconstruct the exact original file from which they were created.

mp3 is a lossy codec, meaning it loses some information when compressing to mp3, and the result will be some distortion, which is negligible to most people but definitely noticeable to others.

So it only adds distortion? So why is the TS suggesting that "the reverbs are glorious", as if the quality is that much better? Is he just being ******ed?
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

Quote by Watterboy
So it only adds distortion? So why is the TS suggesting that "the reverbs are glorious", as if the quality is that much better? Is he just being ******ed?

The compression affects subtle things like reverb tails and general 'air' around a recording.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Watterboy this may help you pick a good system and Spambot_2 looks like you dont understand the differences between flac and mp3....nor have the audio equipment to handle high bitrate music... get a good sound card, like the steinberg ur22 https://www.amazon.com/Steinberg-UR22-2-Channel-Audio-Interface/dp/B00B1FFPYO for only $149 its a usb computer sound card because theres no way your sound card could handle the high bitrates... it would induce noise... wont explain how that works.. then a pioneer A-20 amplifier https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-2-Channel-Integrated-Amplifier-Direct/dp/B00LIQ3NM2/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1469033990&sr=8-1&keywords=pioneer+a20 for $269 (good specs for the price) and it will do its rated output power.. better then a crappy surround system with over inflated specs... with a good set of speakers it would destroy your house.. these mcca speakers are a good buy if you dont have the room.. they sound great but wont really shake everything sound over how loud it gets https://www.amazon.com/Micca-MB42X-Bookshelf-Speakers-Tweeter/dp/B00E7H8GG2/ref=sr_1_sc_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1469034126&sr=8-2-spell&keywords=mcca+speakers only for 89bucks. now if you wanna go all out still worrying about money id go with these for 300bucks the Wharfedale - Diamond 220 these sound really REALLY good especially when used with this pioneer https://www.amazon.com/Wharfedale-Diamond-220-Black/dp/B00OHIZQ50/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1469034244&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=warfdale+220 last but not least the wires n cables... now dont eventhink about the over expensive crap thats like 5843$ per foot its bs... the only things u need to think about are if its pure copper the gauge and if its oxygen free... all of that makes a inpact.. go with this stuff here KnuKonceptz Kord Kable https://www.amazon.com/KnuKonceptz-Kable-Gauge-Copper-Speaker/dp/B00UI08JJG/ref=sr_1_3?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1469035569&sr=1-3&keywords=KnuKonceptz+Kord+Kable its some of the best wire you can buy really at any price... its only 23.88 for 50 feet.... if you get it just cut the 50ft in half to make 25ft use good wire strippers not a knife the next part is rca cables the Monoprice 105347... these are some of the best rca cables... and they are quite cheap to.. only 11.46 for 10ft.. https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-105347-10-Feet-22AWG-Premium/dp/B01EM25HEA/ref=sr_1_1?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1469035638&sr=1-1&keywords=Monoprice+105347 it costs that much because they use coax cable wire for a great connection... you will also need 1/4" to rca adapters which you can get here https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-GPR-101-inch-Adaptors-pieces/dp/B000068O3S/ref=sr_1_3?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1469035816&sr=1-3&keywords=rca+to+1%2F4 they might not look like the best but i had no problems using them. last but not least the media player to play the files... vlc media player is the best option it supports just about everything and their flac decoders are second to none get it for free here http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html use this system even if it costs a bit much... it will give you a life time of enjoyment... its really much better then most of the cheap crap you get from wall mart... i know for sure when i download the new version of vlc imma blast it though my pioneer sx 434 which i just finished recapping... now if you really want to protect your investment go with a furman power conditioner the Furman M-8X AR to be exact https://www.amazon.com/Furman-M-8X-AR-Regulator-Conditioner/dp/B00T57OFMI/ref=sr_1_3?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1469036173&sr=8-3&keywords=furman+power+conditioner+voltage+regulation not only will this protect the audio equipment but you can run everything off of it.. it will reduce noise, protect you from surges, and shut the power off if the voltage gets to high... not to mention it will also regulate the voltage at constant 120v much better protection then any crappy powerstrip with just a crummy fuse to protect your stuff... hope all this helps man..
Last edited by matsushitapanasonic at Jul 20, 2016,
Quote by matsushitapanasonic

Wall of incomprehensible text.

This is my new favorite post ever
Last edited by flexiblemile at Jul 20, 2016,
Quote by Watterboy

1. They're a lossless compressed format - meaning that they get rid of metadata, error correction bits, and other non-audio data to reduce the file size.
2. They're bigger than MP3/AAC/Ogg Vorbis but smaller than WAV/AIFF.
3. Yes, but the compatibility of most players for FLAC is pretty... not great.
4. Not everything can read FLAC files. Notably iTunes/Quicktime, but it can read ALAC (Apple's version of FLAC).
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.