did what ya'll suggested and took out all my tubes out (pre amp and power) and threw in a new fuse. amp turned on for a second but then the fuse blew. tried 3 different outlets and 2 different power cables.

anyone other simple things i could do to diagnose the problem myself, or is it time to drop some money and take it to a pro?

also do y'all think anyone would buy my amp in its current condition? I'm downsizing and really just looking to get a little Fender Blues Jr.

Thanks, JON
Godin Passion RG-3
Gibson SG Standard
Egnater Tourmaster 4100
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Marshall JVM215C
JHS Sweet Tea V2
Guyatone WRM5
TC Flashback Delay
wondering if i was maybe supposed to leave in the pre amp tubes when trouble shooting and just see what happens without the power tubes.
Godin Passion RG-3
Gibson SG Standard
Egnater Tourmaster 4100
Marshall JVM215C
JHS Sweet Tea V2
Guyatone WRM5
TC Flashback Delay
What amp is it?

If it is blowing fuses with no tubes then something is wrong inside and you should take it to a tech.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
egnater tourmaster 4100. all tubes taken out and only lights up for a split second then blows
Godin Passion RG-3
Gibson SG Standard
Egnater Tourmaster 4100
Marshall JVM215C
JHS Sweet Tea V2
Guyatone WRM5
TC Flashback Delay
so just tried to put my tubes back in. when i try to put v4 back in theres a spark when the metal prongs on the tube touch the socket where its supposed to fit in. no idea if that could mean anything. amps only been on for about 2seconds in the last week and its been an hour at least since i tried to troubleshoot it.
Godin Passion RG-3
Gibson SG Standard
Egnater Tourmaster 4100
Marshall JVM215C
JHS Sweet Tea V2
Guyatone WRM5
TC Flashback Delay
If it's blowing fuses with no tubes in it, you have a significant problem.

Because there are so many possible problems, there's no way to determine a realistic value prior to troubleshooting.

You MIGHT be able to sell it to someone willing to take a chance that it's a relatively inexpensive fix, but it will be at a bargain basement price. In the shape you describe it's a $100 broken amp.

The good news is that it's a relatively valuable amp if it's working, so paying the bench fee for a good tech to take a look is probably worth it.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
He's saying it might be the power transformer. How much does that usually cost to replace? He's quoting me at $450 to fix
Godin Passion RG-3
Gibson SG Standard
Egnater Tourmaster 4100
Marshall JVM215C
JHS Sweet Tea V2
Guyatone WRM5
TC Flashback Delay
Get your nose in there, does it smell like burned wiring? If yes, a failed transformer is likely and not worth fixing IMO. When a transformer goes there is often a cascading effect that takes out a lot of other components. Sell it as a non-working amp and get something else.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at May 22, 2015,
Considering that you saw those sparks looks like the caps were not draining right and were somehow shorting with the tube so it could well be the power transformer.

That sounds about right for power transformer, but it depends what you're putting in.
There are aftermarket brands that people swap with to improve tone, this article mentions a bit on that, I think Jensen is one of the best if they still make them.
http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/Why_and_How_to_Replace_Your_Amplifiers_Output_Transformer
Quote by jon_six
He's saying it might be the power transformer. How much does that usually cost to replace? He's quoting me at $450 to fix

A replacement PT from Mercury Magnetics is $313, so his price is reasonable.

Assuming nothing else is wrong that's a pretty nice amp, probably worth it.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Those egnaters are well known to have transformer problems. It could very well be the transformer.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
hopefully its something minor. ill know by tomorrow. fingers crossed. *gulp*
Godin Passion RG-3
Gibson SG Standard
Egnater Tourmaster 4100
Marshall JVM215C
JHS Sweet Tea V2
Guyatone WRM5
TC Flashback Delay
turns out it wasn't the power transformer thank god. just something minor with the circuit board. fixed and sounding better than ever. thanks for y'alls feedback. much appreciated.
Godin Passion RG-3
Gibson SG Standard
Egnater Tourmaster 4100
Marshall JVM215C
JHS Sweet Tea V2
Guyatone WRM5
TC Flashback Delay
Quote by jon_six
turns out it wasn't the power transformer thank god. just something minor with the circuit board. fixed and sounding better than ever. thanks for y'alls feedback. much appreciated.

glad to hear it worked out well.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/