Hey, everyone. I'm a 17-year-old ska guitarist and I've been playing for about 3 years. I don't mess around with pedals and only have two (a distortion and an interval-adding pedal). I want to get into pedals to make me sound less-sucky, but I don't know where to begin.

I've scoured YouTube for a basic pedalboard setup and am still hopelessly lost; PLEASE HELP!!!
Pedals wont make you sound less sucky. Tell us your rig set up and style you like playing.
Jackson Pro King V
Schecter LE Hellraiser C-1
Schecter Hellraiser V-1
Peavey 6505+
Marshall1960a
Line 6 Wireless G50> Boss TU-3> Dunlop Orignal Crybaby> Ibanez TS-9> MXR Smart Gate> Digitech Turbo Flange> MXR Black Label Chorus> MXR Carbon Copy
Great; I use a squire strat put through a roland culbe 40xl sometimes i use the presets most of the time just clean (I need that choppy sound for ska).

I have my EQs set on 7 (arbitrarily 2 o'clock) to try to get a well-rounded tone.

As I said before, I am one of the few and the proud--the ska guitarists. Ska is my genre, mostly five iron frenzy and slight mustard plug, reel big fish, and oc supetones
Quote by JESUSFREA343
Great; I use a squire strat put through a roland culbe 40xl sometimes i use the presets most of the time just clean (I need that choppy sound for ska).

I have my EQs set on 7 (arbitrarily 2 o'clock) to try to get a well-rounded tone.

As I said before, I am one of the few and the proud--the ska guitarists. Ska is my genre, mostly five iron frenzy and slight mustard plug, reel big fish, and oc supetones
You might want to invest in a new amp. Eventually a better strat (maybe one with a humbucker in) as well.

I would think the best setting to use on the cube is the "Brit Combo". But you might want an actual brit combo. Or at least something esque. Doing a bit of listening to Five Iron Frenzy, sounds kinda like you'd want an Orange amp, although I saw a Fender HRD in a video... The VOX AC4 might be inspiring for you, but I haven't played one myself I'd also recommend a klone-style overdrive. You might be satisfied with the EHX Soul Food.

Budget?

If you want to save money for a more worthwhile amp in the long run, use that brit combo setting, and crank the mids. Use a tone that only breaks up when you hit the strings really hard, and boost your amp to desired saturation with a bit of grit from whatever distortion pedal you have.

I don't think Ska uses many other effects, really. Maybe some reverb and tremolo.
Last edited by Will Lane at May 22, 2015,
What you really need is a new amp.
Or a new guitar, depending on whether you like the feel of you guitar or not.

You should follow the directions in this thread so we can properly advise you with what to get - https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=31052894&postcount=2
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
You seem to be looking at pedals for the wrong reasons. No pedal is going to make you "less sucky".

My advice is to research what different kinds of pedals there are (overdrive, distortion, modulation, delay, reverb etc) and decide what kind of sound you would like to achieve.

If your intention is to get a "well rounded tone" rather than have a bunch of effects to play with, then bear in mind that a large majority of the tone is going to come from the amp. In other words, if the amp cannot produce anything close to the tone you want, no amount of pedals will get you where you want to be.

Looking at entire pedalboards is not a good idea, especially if you are a beginner, because you will be overwhealmed with the number of pedals.
Buy one of these and play with the heel position all the way down.

I pride myself on my humility.
Quote by Random3
You seem to be looking at pedals for the wrong reasons. No pedal is going to make you "less sucky".

My advice is to research what different kinds of pedals there are (overdrive, distortion, modulation, delay, reverb etc) and decide what kind of sound you would like to achieve.

If your intention is to get a "well rounded tone" rather than have a bunch of effects to play with, then bear in mind that a large majority of the tone is going to come from the amp. In other words, if the amp cannot produce anything close to the tone you want, no amount of pedals will get you where you want to be.

Looking at entire pedalboards is not a good idea, especially if you are a beginner, because you will be overwhealmed with the number of pedals.

Yes, I realize that was a misnomer--I included less sucky in order to get people to view this forum, haha. and also i was just shown up so i was in a bad mood :P