Ok so i've been listening to Def Leppard a lot recently, and i've just fallen in love with their tone and i am seriously considering trying to aim for that kinda tone for my own tone (if that makes sense)

So what would i need to achieve that kinda tone, as this is something that will undoubtedly take years to achieve would be great if people could suggest a long term gear set (Like a cab and head for example) and a short term gear set (like a Valve combo for example), i know that i'm gonna need a Les Paul for that tone, i'm already looking for LP's with thinner necks (i made a topic about it a few days ago actually)
which era of def leppard?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
which era of def leppard?

I'm thinking High N' Dry or Hysteria maybe with a touch of Adrenalize (I love "Lets get Rocked")
you need an explorer and a JMP 2203/JCM800 2203
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Hysteria was recorded using a Rockman amp and a little G&K.
Which is a headphone amp/guitar DI box
EDIT: Not to mention all kinds of studio wizardry like playing chords one note at a time and layering them in
They talk about it all in here
http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/interview-phil-collen-on-recording-def-leppards-hysteria-track-by-track-551822
Last edited by darkwolf291 at May 22, 2015,
^ yeah def leppard's pretty processed

to get roughly into the ballpark, though, something hot rod marshally or soldanoey (amp) combined with a superstrat with a bridge humbucker will probably get you fairly close, at least for phil collen.

EDIT: od boost pedal won't hurt.

for the more processedy stuff, delay/reverb/chorus, most likely.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Robbgnarly
you need an explorer and a JMP 2203/JCM800 2203

What about a amp that's being made now, just did a quick google search looks like those amps aren't being made anymore meaning they'll be stupid priced (ik it'll be expensive anyway but still)
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ yeah def leppard's pretty processed

to get roughly into the ballpark, though, something hot rod marshally or soldanoey (amp) combined with a superstrat with a bridge humbucker will probably get you fairly close, at least for phil collen.

EDIT: od boost pedal won't hurt.

for the more processedy stuff, delay/reverb/chorus, most likely.

So we talking something like a JCM800 2203 reissue using a tub screamer, and as for the guitar even though you say a superstrat, would a LP do it?
Quote by darkwolf291
Where are you located?
Budget?

If you're in the states, I've seen JCM800 2203s go for around $750-900, though I've seen them for as much as $1,200
Not stupidly priced at all

The reissues, however, ARE stupidly priced

I'm from the UK and i'm not looking at budgets yet wanna know what i would need to consider first
Quote by darkwolf291
UK seems to be around 800-1200 pounds
Which is a damn sight better than the 3 or 4k they're charging for the reissues

Pretty much for anything 80's, you want a JCM800 or a Soldano SLO

What about pedals etc.? we talking like an ibanez tube screamer as well as other effects?
Quote by darkwolf291
Aye, a tubescreamer was the go-to OD for boosting em
As far as chorus goes, if you can find a BOSS CE-2, grab it.
They seem to be going for around 100 pounds on ebay at the moment.
Might want a delay as well.
I like the TC Electronic Flashback

What about achieving that tone at bedroom rocker levels? a 100w head and cab isn't really meant for a bedroom scenario
Hi Tcrumpen!

Your post is actually very similar to a post I did a couple of weeks back!
I myself did too fall in love with the sweet and addicting Def Leppard sound!
I love how Hysteria and Pour Some Sugar On Me sounds - man, those guitar parts!

Here's a complete live show from Def Leppard's Viva Hysteria Tour:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PVa_LaHwsM

I researched a lot myself to find links, and I found these - which is a complete rig rundown of Def Leppard guitarist Phil Collen, the lead guitarist!
In these links Phil also talks about his tone and Hysteria

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCZH7muH8pw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mwcevNXi0s

As far as a gear list goes, I would suggest this: (These items are what Phil Collen uses and what he has in his rig)

Palmer PDI-03 Speaker Simulator.
Marshall JMP-1 Rack Mount Preamp.
T.C. Electronic D-two Delay unit.
T.C. Electronic G-Major or other modulation rack mount effect.

As far as guitars goes I would highly recommend Jackson Guitars - that's what Phil Collen uses too - that his main brand of guitars!

As Phil Collen also mentions in the Rig Rundown, most of his sound is coming from the rack and its effects - he hasn't got any amps on stage, only a couple of cabs as monitors. A big deal of his sound is running directly into the PA System.

I love the sound of Def Leppard and the last couple of months/weeks has made me a lot more aware of my sound and guitar tone - and the possibilities for getting myself a better and more consistent rig.

Check all this out and let me know what you end up doing!
Quote by PedalFreak94
Hi Tcrumpen!

Your post is actually very similar to a post I did a couple of weeks back!
I myself did too fall in love with the sweet and addicting Def Leppard sound!
I love how Hysteria and Pour Some Sugar On Me sounds - man, those guitar parts!

Here's a complete live show from Def Leppard's Viva Hysteria Tour:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PVa_LaHwsM

I researched a lot myself to find links, and I found these - which is a complete rig rundown of Def Leppard guitarist Phil Collen, the lead guitarist!
In these links Phil also talks about his tone and Hysteria

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCZH7muH8pw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mwcevNXi0s

As far as a gear list goes, I would suggest this: (These items are what Phil Collen uses and what he has in his rig)

Palmer PDI-03 Speaker Simulator.
Marshall JMP-1 Rack Mount Preamp.
T.C. Electronic D-two Delay unit.
T.C. Electronic G-Major or other modulation rack mount effect.

As far as guitars goes I would highly recommend Jackson Guitars - that's what Phil Collen uses too - that his main brand of guitars!

As Phil Collen also mentions in the Rig Rundown, most of his sound is coming from the rack and its effects - he hasn't got any amps on stage, only a couple of cabs as monitors. A big deal of his sound is running directly into the PA System.

I love the sound of Def Leppard and the last couple of months/weeks has made me a lot more aware of my sound and guitar tone - and the possibilities for getting myself a better and more consistent rig.

Check all this out and let me know what you end up doing!

Well i'm not gonna be going the rack amps etc. route i aint that big also there's something nice about a actual physical amp rather than a rack, although i love using technology to make music better and easier (in terms of transporting) i always think of guitarists as having a amp and head or combo, just kinda fits my idea

So no Les Pauls then?
Quote by Tcrumpen
Well i'm not gonna be going the rack amps etc. route i aint that big also there's something nice about a actual physical amp rather than a rack, although i love using technology to make music better and easier (in terms of transporting) i always think of guitarists as having a amp and head or combo, just kinda fits my idea

So no Les Pauls then?

Alright, well yeah, you can go around it that way too..
I think I'm slowly beginning to see the advantages of a more compact setup

Well, no Les Paul, not if you wanna get real close. Jackson guitars is what Phil Collen uses and has always done.
Not to say that a Les Paul wont do the job, but the Jackson is the way to go about it
Quote by PedalFreak94
Alright, well yeah, you can go around it that way too..
I think I'm slowly beginning to see the advantages of a more compact setup

Well, no Les Paul, not if you wanna get real close. Jackson guitars is what Phil Collen uses and has always done.
Not to say that a Les Paul wont do the job, but the Jackson is the way to go about it

Oh i def see the advantage of compact set-up, but i can just see that being a problem if you wanna say jam with someone cos they looks a bit weird when out of a rack
Quote by Tcrumpen
Oh i def see the advantage of compact set-up, but i can just see that being a problem if you wanna say jam with someone cos they looks a bit weird when out of a rack

Hmm, I can see that being a problem because you don't have the actual amp with the speaker to plug in and that you need the PA as you speaker, that's right..
if you want a DL style tone on a budget i'd suggest getting a modeling amp like a Peavey Vypyr. this will have the ability to get a consistent tone that has that kinda produced sound.
Quote by monwobobbo
if you want a DL style tone on a budget i'd suggest getting a modeling amp like a Peavey Vypyr. this will have the ability to get a consistent tone that has that kinda produced sound.

I have a Blackstar ID:30 and i think i can get a decent Marshall sound outta that
Quote by Tcrumpen
So we talking something like a JCM800 2203 reissue using a tub screamer, and as for the guitar even though you say a superstrat, would a LP do it?

yeah a les paul should work just fine. i think steve clark used a les paul a lot, so if you want his tone a les paul would be perfect.

on the cheap i'm guessing a laney gh50/100L or jet city jca 50/100 would do it
an sd1 will also work well as an 80s-style boost. maybe better than a tubescreamer (though there's not much in it and they're both in the same ballpark tonewise).

Quote by Tcrumpen
What about achieving that tone at bedroom rocker levels? a 100w head and cab isn't really meant for a bedroom scenario

how quietly do you have to play? i play tube amps at home but i don't crank them and i don't share walls with neighbours. if you have to play at genuine whisper volumes, then you're right, tube might not be the way to go.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at May 23, 2015,
Quote by darkwolf291
Hysteria was recorded using a Rockman amp and a little G&K.
Which is a headphone amp/guitar DI box
EDIT: Not to mention all kinds of studio wizardry like playing chords one note at a time and layering them in
They talk about it all in here
http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/interview-phil-collen-on-recording-def-leppards-hysteria-track-by-track-551822

Yeah I heard about that.
Was supposedly Mutt Langes idea to do it that way.
I tried doing that myself.
Was a MAJOR PITA.
Last edited by CodeMonk at May 23, 2015,
Quote by CodeMonk
Yeah I heard about that.
Was supposedly Mutt Langes idea to do it that way.
I tried doing that myself.
Was a MAJOR PITA.

They did it for one part in the song Hysteria
He wanted a piano or synth like sound from the guitars
Arpeggiating didn't work because the notes bleed together, so they did it one by one
I'm thinking High N' Dry or Hysteria maybe with a touch of Adrenalize

That's some wide scope my friend. Phil isn't on High & Dry - Steve and Pete used Gibsons and Marshalls .. probably a Master Volume JMP cos the JCM 800 wasn't out then. An 800 will get that tone easy tho. So yeah, High & Dry is ALL about the Les Paul.

Hysteria .. well, really anything you want, then compress the living snot out of it. Drench it in choruses, reverb and delays. Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, and Jacksons all feature on that album. There are some obvious humbucker and single coil moments. It's not the sort of sonic landscape you can easily replicate with one guitar and one amp in a bedroom.

Adrenalize was more of the same - dripping wet super-strat action mostly.

So anyway .. Les Paul and a Vypyr is the quickest way there. You'll most of your raw Steve and spacey Phil tones in that package.
Charvel DX-1 FR / DS-1 ST / DC-1 FR / Custom Strat / La Patrie Hybrid CW / Vypyr 30 / VK100 / 1960A
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah a les paul should work just fine. i think steve clark used a les paul a lot, so if you want his tone a les paul would be perfect.

on the cheap i'm guessing a laney gh50/100L or jet city jca 50/100 would do it
an sd1 will also work well as an 80s-style boost. maybe better than a tubescreamer (though there's not much in it and they're both in the same ballpark tonewise).

how quietly do you have to play? i play tube amps at home but i don't crank them and i don't share walls with neighbours. if you have to play at genuine whisper volumes, then you're right, tube might not be the way to go.

Well currently i'm at my parents house which is a detached property, but i'm looking at moving out soon and it's prob gonna be a house/flat-share with one other person they maybe semi-detached properties
Quote by monwobobbo

The Plxi Red setting gets you that sound
Quote by Tcrumpen
Well currently i'm at my parents house which is a detached property, but i'm looking at moving out soon and it's prob gonna be a house/flat-share with one other person they maybe semi-detached properties

yeah. in a detached house you can probably get away with tube if your parents are cool (and you're ok with preamp distortion). sharing walls is a lot trickier.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
splawn quickrod, LP, TS, chorus and thats half of it. not over the top expensive either (but still not cheap).
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/