Hey guys.

Let me just say right off the bat that I don't know anything about fuzz pedals other than that they sound wicked. I've been meaning to add one to my pedalboard for ages now, and I want to finally get around to it. The problem is, I don't have $300 to spend on one of those Black Arts pedals.

So, does anyone know of a relatively affordable (under $150), ultra-thick fuzz boxes? I need something worthy of the sludgiest of doom riffs, and the dirtiest of blues rock. For the latter, think early Black Keys.

I tried the Big Muff a while ago, and thought it was pretty nice for a pedal of it's price range. However, it's not the sound I'm looking for, so if we could please avoid suggestions of it, that would be great.

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies!
I really enjoyed my Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker. Got mine for $50.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
have you tried any of the new Dunlop mini fuzz faces? they are all moderately priced (100usd) most of the ones that ive heard sound great
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
I'm going to suggest a Swollen Pickle; you might not like a regular big muff but most doom sounds can be used on muff variants with extra tweaking (i.e. a hoof is a clone of the Russian muff used by the black keys).
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
The Black Keys’ album tones are most an Ibanez clone of a Univox Super Fuzz. Super Fuzz clones run as low as $100–$120, BYOC has a $75 kit. Cascade that into a Big Muff (or the other way around) and you can have a nasty hairy oscillating wall of fuzz.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Used Wren and Cuff Tall Font Russian. One of the better "boutique" fuzzes out there. You could also look for used Zvex stuff like a Fuzz Factory or Mastotron. Also Danny has a good point, a BAT Pharoah is like $160 used, and that's basically the doomiest fuzz ever.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by TheStig1214
Used Wren and Cuff Tall Font Russian. One of the better "boutique" fuzzes out there. You could also look for used Zvex stuff like a Fuzz Factory or Mastotron. Also Danny has a good point, a BAT Pharoah is like $160 used, and that's basically the doomiest fuzz ever.

I feel like he could go thicker than a pharaoh, which is what an LSTR is (a thicker pharaoh) if we're just looking at BAT.

But yeah, going used busts your options wide open. Find a good return policy, play around, see what you need to add on if you need more features/a different voicing. It's basically what I did; regular BMP to tone wicker to Swollen pickle. Recently tried a hoof, too.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Quote by Maidenheadsteve
I feel like he could go thicker than a pharaoh, which is what an LSTR is (a thicker pharaoh) if we're just looking at BAT.

Good point:

https://reverb.com/item/519421-black-arts-toneworks-lstr-fuzz-effect-pedal
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

I'll plug the Earthquaker Hoof as usual. Haven't heard a nastier fuzz yet.

The Blackout Musket is worthy as well.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Do you have a compressor? A Big Muff boosted by a compressor sounds pretty thick and fuzz saturated. That's how I use my fuzz, throw a tremolo pedal after the fuzz and you good a frickin' crazy lead tone.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by Offworld92
I'll plug the Earthquaker Hoof as usual. Haven't heard a nastier fuzz yet.

The Blackout Musket is worthy as well.

It's actually less gainy than a swollen pickle (I hate to use things I literally just did as reasoning, but I just side by sided them, both alone and playing with a drummer).

Musket is worth a go because of the amount of tweaking; the pre-knob functions like a clean boost to do similar things to what Lucky said
Last edited by Maidenheadsteve at May 23, 2015,
That's interesting. I've found the Swollen Pickle really disappointing every time I've heard one. Doesn't get there in terms of modern sludge ish
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at May 23, 2015,
I've got a Toy Room Wooly Bully I'd sell you for a good price :P Turns out I'm just not much of a fuzz guy...
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at May 23, 2015,

Whoa, didn't expect all the replies. Thanks for the help guys! I checked out a bunch of sound demos of everything that was recommended, and found the EQD Hoof and the Blackout Musket to sound awesome. The Pharaoh as well.

I'll be heading over to the local music shop for strings this week, I'll try some of the stuff you guys suggested and see which one I like best.
Happy hunting!

little late to the party but look at the Akai DR3 fuzz. this fuzz has some options as to teh type of fuzz you get and can get pretty brutal in the fuzz dept. unlike many fuzzes the volume knob can be used to drive the amp for even more out of hand distortion
Quote by monwobobbo
little late to the party but look at the Akai DR3 fuzz. this fuzz has some options as to teh type of fuzz you get and can get pretty brutal in the fuzz dept. unlike many fuzzes the volume knob can be used to drive the amp for even more out of hand distortion

But buy the Biyang version for $50 on Amazon. Akai just sells rebranded Biyang.
Check out the Pro Co Fatrat - a bit more cost wise than what you're aiming for, but it is pretty flexible and the rats can get pretty fuzzy and doomy with the right rig.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
i am not a fuzz aficionado by any stretch, but the blackout effectors musket fuzz is next on my list.

the hoof seems to be pretty cool as well.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
sludgy doom and black keys in one pedal is tough though, i'd consider maybe two different ones so you have a specialty high and low gain one..
mojostompboxes.com
The big muff is great and EHX provide other muffs for different uses like a metal muff for heavy stuff. I'm sure you can find an EHX muff that will do that, EHX have a big list.
http://www.ehx.com/browse/distortion-fuzz-overdrive
Dean MAB1. Epiphone Annihilation V. EVH 5150III 50. Orange PPC112. Earthquaker devices - The Warden, Arrows, Acapulco Gold, Levitation, Night Wire. EHX Big Muff Pi Tone Wicker. Polytune mini. e906. SM57. Focusrite. LINUX!
Last edited by Deermonic at May 26, 2015,
Hey everyone!

Just got back from the music store, and am now the owner of a Blackout Effectors Musket. Great for sludgy, Melvins-esq riffing, and it can also do that filth blues-rock tone. Admittedly, it's much better at the former than the latter, but oh well.

Thanks for all the advice guys, I appreciate it!
Woot!

Quote by DrMonsieur
Hey everyone!

Just got back from the music store, and am now the owner of a Blackout Effectors Musket. Great for sludgy, Melvins-esq riffing, and it can also do that filth blues-rock tone. Admittedly, it's much better at the former than the latter, but oh well.

Nice choice!
I use one for the doom band I'm in
Quote by DrMonsieur
Hey everyone!

sweet! i would love me some clips

HNPD! do a NPD thread.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/