Hey guys,

I'm new to the forums. Been playing for a while and stealing tabs off of here when needed and never even knew there was a forum here haha.

I was looking for some input on guitar choices. First of all, I play mostly more modern stuff... I enjoy playing ed sheeran music, country, maroon 5, Eric Clapton, etc. I'd also like to point out that I like to get a blues/ slight grange sound in my sounds, almost regardless of what genre I'm playing. I do on occasion play rock but in most cases (I could totally be wrong here) I think it's easier to add distortion to a cleaner guitar than it is to take it away from a dirtier sounding one.

I haven't been able to get my hands on a godin to try it. I like the reviews I've seen on the Xts-a. I even considered a used 2011 Godin LGX-Sa. I believe it's still available and it can be had used for the same price as the others used.

I tried a (meaning about 15 of them) fender strat. Don't kill me for this... I'm not impressed. The best one I played was made in mexico.... who knew. It does have great potential for the sound I'm looking for but it wasn't easy for me to play compared to my next choice.......

The Les Paul Studio. I never thought I'd enjoy playing a Les Paul. Everyone said it's only for rock or heavier. Using the splitters I was impressed with the versatility in sound, and I even found it to fit what I'm looking for in most areas. The only thing I had trouble getting was a really clean acoustic sound. It played like a dream (btw, it's the 2015 studio). I actually played things cleaner on this guitar, maybe because the feel of the neck or the large frets on it. But I really hate the automatic tuner on the end of it....

Looking for some input, please help!
Quote by amartins42
Hey guys,

I'm new to the forums. Been playing for a while and stealing tabs off of here when needed and never even knew there was a forum here haha.

welcome!
I was looking for some input on guitar choices. First of all, I play mostly more modern stuff... I enjoy playing ed sheeran music, country, maroon 5, Eric Clapton, etc. I'd also like to point out that I like to get a blues/ slight grange sound in my sounds, almost regardless of what genre I'm playing. I do on occasion play rock but in most cases (I could totally be wrong here) I think it's easier to add distortion to a cleaner guitar than it is to take it away from a dirtier sounding one.

First of all, what amp do you have?
I haven't been able to get my hands on a godin to try it. I like the reviews I've seen on the Xts-a. I even considered a used 2011 Godin LGX-Sa. I believe it's still available and it can be had used for the same price as the others used.

I haven't got a wealth of experience with Godin, but I do know that they make wonderful guitars, but with anything, try-before-buy is paramount, especially when spending a good amount.
I tried a (meaning about 15 of them) fender strat. Don't kill me for this... I'm not impressed. The best one I played was made in mexico.... who knew. It does have great potential for the sound I'm looking for but it wasn't easy for me to play compared to my next choice.......

You didn't like it, so what? I utterly hate playing Stratocasters, I've never found one I liked playing, not to say they aren't great guitars, just not for me (or you).
The Les Paul Studio. I never thought I'd enjoy playing a Les Paul. Everyone said it's only for rock or heavier.

That's crap, listen to it's namesake playing one.
Using the splitters I was impressed with the versatility in sound, and I even found it to fit what I'm looking for in most areas. The only thing I had trouble getting was a really clean acoustic sound.

they are versatile, very versatile, but getting an acoustic sound out of a solid-bodied electric guitar is like asking for a lawnmower to go 60 mph, you can try all you want, but it's just not happening.
It played like a dream (btw, it's the 2015 studio). I actually played things cleaner on this guitar, maybe because the feel of the neck or the large frets on it. But I really hate the automatic tuner on the end of it....

The robot tuner on new Gibson's are a pain in the backside, too much weight on the neck for me. I suggest going for one without the tuner.

any more elaborations I'd be happy to help, but I suggest heading over to the electric guitar forum and asking about it there, they make me look like a total pillock, in a good way.
Hey thanks for taking the time to reply! Sorry haven't had much time to be researching in the past few days. I'd agree with just about everything you said haha my amp is a black star 20w. I plan on also getting a more powerful amp, I've been trying out a lot of amps and loving the sounds I can get out of them. I do still think I'll stick with black star unless someone talks me Out of it.

I hate the tuners on that LP studio but I might try to get one without it. It's my favorite guitar of the ones I've tried. Still no luck trying a godin yet. Thanks again