Hi All,

Im looking for a telecaster for under £500

I have seen the fender standard tele for sale for around £419 but have also heard ver good things about Squire modern player and classic vibe teles

Any advice or recommendations please- going to try them all out soon!!
Must it be a Fender/Squier, or is a Teleclone good enough?

I saw a G&L Tribute on Frets Guitar Centre's website that might interest you. There are also good ones to be found at Reverb.com.

You might also want to consider the UK's own Fret-King guitars. They make some nice Teleclones.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I have a Squier classic vibe tele myself... as a left-handed player, when I was in the market for a cheap tele it was pretty much the only option I had - but I pretty much swear by it now.

Over the nearly 4 years I've had it, I've recieved many complements on it's tone, and a few instances of 'I can't believe that's not a Fender'. It does have a completely authentic tone - doesn't 'sound' like a cheap guitar. Plays very nicely, keeps it's tuning and intonation perfectly. I've used it at studio sessions and probably a few hundred gigs.

Though assuming you're right handed you can probably grab a second hand Fender that would outdo a Squier, providing it has been well looked after. I have a friend with a early 2000s Mexican tele and it is very lovely... wouldn't say it has a better tone than the squier but looks and plays even better.

I also don't see the point in the modern player series, HSS pickup configuration isn't going to sound great in a tele, and definitely won't give you that distinctive telecaster tone... unless you want a tele body purely for aesthetic.
Squier Class Vibe Telecaster Custom. You might have money left to swap the pickups, but even stock, it beats the crap out of any fender in that price range.
Thanks for the feedback i want the tele tone so the mp would be out of the question- sounds like i may be looking at the £419 budget tele then....
Used G&L Tribute ASAT. All day, all night. You won't find a more consistent tele for $350 shipped.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at May 23, 2015,
Oh man, their value has gone up. Reverb used to be littered with $300 deals on ASAT Classics.
People have been buying them!

if you want to stick to fender, the (mexican) classic series is nice

for £500 you might get lucky and find something japanese e.g. tokai. bear in mind the cheaper ones aren't made in japan. it normally says on the neck heel where it's made.

edit: do you want a modern-style tele or a vintage-style one?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The Standard is a good choice. A modern-spec Tele that still retains its character.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.

Find a good used one for 1/2 retail. It's the only way to go if you want quality on a budget. I found my USA Tele for $600 in excellent condition. A mim can be had for $300.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY