agreed.
6 11%
i disagree aka im stupid
10 19%
bollocks
37 70%
Voters: 53.
Page 1 of 2
all have ulterior motives, possibly evil. Humble people act humble to seem better/smarter/nicer when they're the opposite basically.

Discuss.
disagre
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Modest people tend to be the best of the musicians I've met.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
I am modest and I can confirm this.

Or can I?
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie
i feel like you have an obsession with aubrey plaza.

Quote by WCPhils
at least we can all agree SGstriker is the woooooooooooooooooooooorst
Some people want others to give them respect, and they know they're more likely to get it by offering respect back.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
I'll take sincere bravado over false modesty any day.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
more like modest MOUSE amirite
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
I am relatively modest and I absolutely do not secretly dream of taking over the world and bending everyone to my will what a stupid thing to suggest

So no, modest people do not secretly have ulterior motives at all. No way.
I have nothing important to say
Quote by JackSaints
I am relatively modest and I absolutely do not secretly dream of taking over the world and bending everyone to my will what a stupid thing to suggest

So no, modest people do not secretly have ulterior motives at all. No way.

(Invalid img)
sometimes. If I'm trying to score yes, I'll be modest, mostly about my musicianship. If I'm making the #banter with bros I'll tell stories with a little extra detail, and slight hyperbole.
Everybody lies.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Im pretty modest about my guitar playing but as far as my songwriting goes, Ive kind of got a big dick about it
i'm not modest, but i have a fairly low opinion of myself.

still better than everyone else though.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
I'm very modest, but I'm not very confident in my morality.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by Neo Evil11
Everybody lies.

thx dr house
it's all coming back

it's a good like though cause house md is my favourite series ever
it's all coming back

Quote by Neo Evil11
Everybody lies.

That's something that liars tell themselves to justify their own failings.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
I'm the most modest person you'll ever meet and I'm ready to fight you over it
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
wh0 carez
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
if someone gives me an impression that they're tooooo nice I always go with the presumption that they're hiding something

my friends think I'm a dick for doing this but most nice people I know tend to still have a sarcastic/passive-aggressive/gossipy side to them

I dunno I can't read people very well
By the way, if by chance this is meant to be a serious discussion, no, I don't think modest people have ulterior motives. It's sort of just socially unacceptable to be less than modest, to such a point that people won't accept compliments or gifts. It's really weird when you think about it, isn't it?

I guess if by "ulterior motives," what you mean is that they don't want people to think they're douches, then I'd agree with you.
Free Ali
If you are so sure of yourself and your own abilities, there's no need to prove yourself to anyone. There's no need to show off because you just know that you're that good.

That, is humility to me. If you're being modest for the sake of being modest than you're being a pleb

EDIT: I mean, by all means be modest, but not at the expense of your self esteem. Have some confidence for pete's sake
Last edited by E7#9 at May 23, 2015,
Quote by E7#9
If you are so sure of yourself and your own abilities, there's no need to prove yourself to anyone. There's no need to show off because you just know that you're that good.

That, is humility to me. If you're being modest for the sake of being modest than you're being a pleb

EDIT: I mean, by all means be modest, but not at the expense of your self esteem. Have some confidence for pete's sake

Who is Pete and what does my confidence have to do with him? Should my quest to be self-fulfilling rely on him?

#dadjoke'd
Free Ali
^ Your dad called.

He

says you're actually adopted
Last edited by E7#9 at May 23, 2015,
Quote by E7#9
^ Your dad called.

He

says you're actually adopted

Your mom called. She said it's time to let you know that I'm your dad.
Free Ali
Quote by chrismendiola
Your mom called. She said it's time to let you know that I'm your dad.

Back to the original topic, if anything, if you are a boss and are confident in your abilities in the manner I was saying above, being modest kinda gives your mad skills a bit more punch when you do show them.

So yes, perhaps in that case modesty can be used strategically with an ulterior motive, but there are definitely genuinely good and modest people out there.
Quote by Fat Lard
all have ulterior motives, possibly evil. Humble people act humble to seem better/smarter/nicer when they're the opposite basically.

Discuss.

Indeed... I concur. I believe the correct terminology of such subjects is one that is afraid of the Dunning-Kruger effect, and thus acts within the framework of its corollary.
wait, what? bob came back?
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
wh0 carez

you're dead please don't haunt us go to the light bob's ghost
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
wh0 carez

Wow, SJW much?
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
No ulterior motives, they are just boring.

A modest mouse on the other hand....
Last edited by EyeNon15 at Jun 26, 2016,
Quote by mattedbird
people that act like we're best friends when we've just met are the worst.

run

Your seeming shut-in-ness gets you nowhere.Weld it up
Page 1 of 2