Whats up pit?

I don't really post much but I check the pit everyday and lurk most of the time. Anyways i graduated from high school on Thursday night and am unsure of what to do next. I've been accepted to an instate university as an engineering major but I'm not sure how much I want to do that anymore. I know no one here really does anything with music anymore so I'm not entirely sure why I'm posting at all but I guess it can't hurt. I really want to go to school and at least have a few music related classes but this university doesn't really offer anything I'm really interested in. I have pretty much no interest in any of the majors. I think what I'm really asking is: Do I choose a major that will lead to a steady job, or one that will follow what I'm passionate about? I understand that pretty much everyone goes though this but I'd appreciate some input.

Thanks in advance
Wayne's World! Party Time! Excellent!
Party on Wayne. Party on Garth

Schecter Platinum C-1 Floyd Rose

Quote by Lord_Doku
Friendship and masturbation go a long way towards happiness. Until you have sex, then it's friendship and sex. And an empty wallet.
Quote by iRoseAgainst
Whats up pit?

I don't really post much but I check the pit everyday and lurk most of the time.

Hey did you see that thread where I spammed my name 140 something times???
Quote by snipelfritz
You lost me at "Lubricate."

I'm raw, like nature. Nature boy. Big jungle leaves are my cum rags.

Sometimes I fuck a bamboo shoot.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
more importantly, did you see my thread full of homophones?
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Or maybe did you see Baby Joel's Serious Thread??????
Quote by snipelfritz

the serious thread is in my signature if you have not seen it
it's all coming back

The homophones thread is also in his signature if you have not yet seen that either.
Quote by snipelfritz

also, despite the homophone thread being in my signature you can't see it
it's all coming back

Here is the thread where I spammed my name a bunch:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1677353&page=1&pp=20
Quote by snipelfritz

Yeah I saw all those

Quote by Lord_Doku
Friendship and masturbation go a long way towards happiness. Until you have sex, then it's friendship and sex. And an empty wallet.
TS what you really need is a new amp.

It will give you all the answers you need.
I have nothing important to say
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Thought this thread was gonna be about Luther.

if only
it's all coming back

Dude, you're going to college. Party up!
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Solid advice guys, thanks

Quote by Lord_Doku
Just become an electrician or carpenter or plumber or something and prosper.
#DTWD
Quote by iRoseAgainst
Whats up pit?

I don't really post much but I check the pit everyday and lurk most of the time. Anyways i graduated from high school on Thursday night and am unsure of what to do next. I've been accepted to an instate university as an engineering major but I'm not sure how much I want to do that anymore. I know no one here really does anything with music anymore so I'm not entirely sure why I'm posting at all but I guess it can't hurt. I really want to go to school and at least have a few music related classes but this university doesn't really offer anything I'm really interested in. I have pretty much no interest in any of the majors. I think what I'm really asking is: Do I choose a major that will lead to a steady job, or one that will follow what I'm passionate about? I understand that pretty much everyone goes though this but I'd appreciate some input.

Thanks in advance

I guess the best advice I can offer is this: Whatever you decide to do, be prepared to completely bail on it and do something different in a few years. Most people don't stumble in to their life's work straight out of high school. Be prepared to learn the hard way that something definitely isn't for you. You will have an easier time figuring out what you don't EVER want to do than you will figuring out what you actually want.

I sank five years of my life into school and working at a career before I finally figured out it wasn't for me. I wish I could tell you how to spot that early and avoid it, but I can't.

Also, being an engineering major is freakin hard. You may completely crash and burn, because a lot of people do. College is not like high school. All that is necessary for failure is to sit on your ass and not go to class. There is nobody supervising you, and nobody prodding you into getting things done like they do in high school. The university is more than happy to take your money and give you F's because you couldn't be bothered to get up and go to class. Just physically being in the seat when the class starts will get you 50% of the points just based on attendance/participation and the random facts that find their way into your head. If you don't show up, nothing can save you.

It seems like a small thing, but you would be amazed at the number of otherwise intelligent people I've known that fail hard at college because they don't bother to show up.
Work your ass off, get the degree. If you don't want to be an engineer that's fine but you can now always fall back on it. Maybe in four years you meet a girl who you love and want to settle down with. Maybe you decide you want to travel, that costs money. Having that degree will make all the difference.

I'm just saying, even if you dont want to be an engineer for the rest of your life, the degree wont hurt.
Get yourself together, man.
Move to Philly.
Buy a loft.
Start a noise band.
Get six or seven roommates.
Eat hummus with them.
Book some gigs.
Paint.
Smoke cloves.
Listen to Animal Collective.
Start some type of salsa company.

EDIT: Or major in electrical engineering and start an amp or pedal business or some shit.
Last edited by goest at May 24, 2015,
Thanks for the advice, its giving me some more to think on.

Quote by Not a Les Paul
I guess the best advice I can offer is this: Whatever you decide to do, be prepared to completely bail on it and do something different in a few years. Most people don't stumble in to their life's work straight out of high school. Be prepared to learn the hard way that something definitely isn't for you. You will have an easier time figuring out what you don't EVER want to do than you will figuring out what you actually want.

Yeah this is what I'm not looking forward to, especially since I can't really find something I love right now.

Quote by Ssargentslayer
I'm just saying, even if you dont want to be an engineer for the rest of your life, the degree wont hurt.

I see the logic in this, It's something I'm definitely trying to keep this in mind.

Quote by goest
EDIT: Or major in electrical engineering and start an amp or pedal business or some shit.

I actually really like this, I've built a few pedalboards before and maybe I could expand on that.

Quote by Lord_Doku
Get hammered 3-4 nights a week for the next year and a half until you make up your mind. That's what I did after I graduated high school.