Hi, could you put a 8th string instead of a 7th string on your guitar and tune it as if it was the 8th string on the guitar? would it sound okay? Could it cause damage to the neck for putting more tension on it? does any one have experience trying this? thanks
So you just want to get a 7 string guitar tuned down to 8 string range? No problem. Just need heavy strings. You might want to go extra heavy, just because a lot of 8 string guitars have a slightly longer scale length. But yeah, heavy strings and a set up should be all you need. Some people tune that low with 6 strings, even.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
Yeah, just buy an 8 string pack (btw my favorite are the D'Addario EXL140s) and ditch whatever string you need. With the extra tension (or lack thereof depending on tuning) you may need to adjust the truss rod a bit but beyond that you're good.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
You can... though it does depend on the guitar whether that will sound good or not.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
you may need minor modifications. you may need to file the nut. also you may need to ream out the tuner. also it may be hard to intonate.

you could be fine, it just depends on the gauge of the string and your guitar.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/